Sponsored by:

Repairing the “black foam coming out of vent” issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 07:14 PM
Christoph Soltau
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pusty123
thanks mate. I’m assuming it’s as simple as taking it to an aircon place to degas the system, taking it home and removing the pipe to do the job, bolt it back up and then back to the aircon place to regas?
Yup. Beware the allen head bolts securing the pipe flanges can be very tight. Counter hold the flange to prevent the pipe twisting.
Cover the open ends of the AC pipework with something like the cut off fingers of a nitrile glove to prevent dirt getting in. And get new o rings, there's one at each flange. Your AC shop may have, else need to look them up. The parts numbers are confusing, either 999 707 250 40 or 999 707 434 41. It's the green ones.
The following users liked this post:
Pusty123 (01-13-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 02:57 PM
speedc4s
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec on the foam used

Hi. What foam tape do you use on these repairs. Width and Thickness and Manufacturer?
Old 04-08-2024, 07:02 PM
runner1505
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the repair of both doors through the heater core and I'm getting a weird thing happening. When I turn the car on and select, or have selected from the prior time the car was on, the middle vents, the air will flow through those vents for about 3-5min and then switch by itself to "leaking" from the top vents and barely come out from the middle vents. If I select the top vents, nothing happens, and if I select the floor vents, the air comes out of the floor and get very little leakage into the middle vents. I don't understand why the airflow works correctly the first few minutes and then I can't get any air from the middle vents. Did this happen to anyone else?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Repairing the “black foam coming out of vent” issue