Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

This sounds like the beginning of an episode of Hoovie's Garage!
The following users liked this post:
911 carrera blue (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 11:21 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
right

ignore the fact that 90% of the 996s dont have cat failure

brilliant logic

so very tired of the fear mongering
+1

Is Prelude saying that no one should ever buy a 996, period? The paranoia has gone overboard...
Old 07-31-2019, 01:19 AM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled the sump plate and this is what I found (some pics are before I dumped the excess oil).

Name:  vxjjXGd.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  1.36 MB

Name:  ZqrbBCK.jpg
Size:  1.17 MB

Name:  XZpTiEX.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  WKiEyOt.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  1.63 MB

Name:  NFHpilF.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  HiGVxJi.jpg
Size:  1.80 MB

Name:  9WYJa5I.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  911.1 KB

Name:  sclcULo.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  897.9 KB

Name:  DG5Kx08.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  585.3 KB

Name:  8DRAK45.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  3.21 MB

Name:  SfJpbwi.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  1.03 MB
Old 07-31-2019, 01:26 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

We call that "makin' metal". Looks like it's been going on for a while. Fairly sure it's the IMSB taken a dump all over the innards of your engine. I doubt the IMSB replacement at this point would do any good. Rebuild time for you.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:34 AM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

Well, I hope I address everyone here, if I missed someone I apologize.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Sell it (you payed to much) and start over. You're going to be in so deep you'll never get it back.
You can find a good well maintained driver for less then what this project will cost you...You might get lucky with a used motor but then you might not (another 6-10K flushed) and that motor could have issues.
I've been looking for a well maintained example for over a year with no luck. Either the cars are falsely advertised as 'perfect' or they are perfect and the seller wants $35k firm.

Originally Posted by Aloha-boy
All great advice, but it boils down to setting "your" budget first. Second, what's your total(car + rebuild) budget? If your numbers look good, then this should be a great learning experience and fun project to tackle.
I have about $10k to play with this year, probably another $10k or so next year.

I have no mechanical skills, never been on RL, never owned a Porsche but I paid cash for a non running 996 with no PPI.

Did we get that right?
No sir, I never said that I have no mechanical skill. I'm not a Master Mechanic, but I've been wrenching on my own rides since I was knee high to a grasshopper. I've been lurking on RL for years. I've never owned a Porsche before though, so this will be the biggest project I've ever taken on. I didn't see the need to pay for a PPI when I know the engine is bad.

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Ouch. With every start more damage occurs. Don't start it again until it's fully rebuilt. You should also bore scope the cylinders to see the condition of the bore surfaces. Follow Jake's videos on YouTube.
I almost called the seller an idiot when he started it! I didn't ask him to, he took it upon himself.

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Andy,

What are your goals for the car?
Short term, I'd like to get it running quickly, probably with a new (used) engine. Long term, I'd like to rebuild the original engine, perhaps take the Knowledge Gruppe rebuild class.

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Like the advice to drop the sump versus just examining the filter, this would help confirm the extent of the damage. If for some reason, unbeknownst to anyone at this time, the cylinders are NOT suffering from scoring, then that may give the OP some new found options to save money especially if he's rebuilding it himself.
Pics are uploaded in previous post, please let me know what you think.

Originally Posted by docmirror
And now, for something completely different.

I know of two engines that had IMSB failure, but were caught in time, and the engine oil circuit was flushed, the IMSB was replaced, and the engine ran. This is not an endorsement, nor is it a plan for one to follow, just that 'catastrophic' and marginal failure are two different things.

How much would it cost to replace only the IMSB? couple hundred.
How long will it last? From 2-200-2000 miles. Maybe

YMMV, objects in mirror, pro driver closed course, contents have settled, and may cause **** leakage.
I'm not willing to take the risk of completely destroying the original motor if I can avoid it, I'd like to rebuild it if possible.

Originally Posted by alex.rhodes
I'm in Aurora and have some tools and manuals. Don't know how much help I could offer, but let me know what you need.
That would be AMAZING, and you would be my new best friend

Originally Posted by dporto
^^Thats probably on the high end of what it’s actually worth. How much did you research before you bought it? Do you realize to rebuild the engine properly (even if you do it yourself) is going to run in the $15k range? If you do, and you’re up for it, more power to you! 👍
As I mentioned above, I've been looking for a well maintained example for over a year with no luck. I knew rebuilding the engine wouldn't exactly be cheap, I'm hoping it can be done for less than $15k.

Originally Posted by jkoravos
This sounds like the beginning of an episode of Hoovie's Garage!
I'm not familiar with Hoovie's Garage, what is it?
Old 07-31-2019, 05:09 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

right

ignore the fact that 90% of the 996s dont have cat failure

brilliant logic

so very tired of the fear mongering
+1

Agreed, however, I think your 90% figure is VERY low.

Originally Posted by RSflared72e
Is Prelude saying that no one should ever buy a 996, period? The paranoia has gone overboard...
+2

Originally Posted by Andy Ericksen
...Short term, I'd like to get it running quickly, probably with a new (used) engine. Long term, I'd like to rebuild the original engine, perhaps take the Knowledge Gruppe rebuild class...
Is this just another Flat6 infomercial??? If so, shame on me for tuning in...
The following users liked this post:
Robrall (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 07:21 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Looking for a year, where? We see these cars in good shape all the time selling $17-$20K all day long.
Are those cracks in the oil pan?
Short term = Porsche short block.
Jakes rebuild class would be great if you have the time, special tools and space to do it. Rebuilds on the cheap will run about $13-$15K if I recall. Someone did a spread sheet with costs from various companies. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ebuild+options

There's a couple of good DIY rebuild threads to get familiar with, good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 AM
supersquid
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

However much he paid is how much he wanted to pay.
As for rebuilding, what have you got to lose? Tons of folks with tons of experience on here to help you along the way.
I hope you choose to rebuild and I get to follow. Always wanted to rebuild a Porsche motor. Just can't find the time to justify it.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:05 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

It actually looks like a light failure.. Still has to come all apart, have ultrasonic cleaning, and etc, but it certainly appears to have some good hope for a rebuild project.
With damage like this, the primary concern is collateral damage, and cleaning all the debris from ALL the components. Cleaning will take you as long as assembly in lots of cases.

FYI- The dates for the only M9X engine rebuild class of 2020 are being finalized now, likely it will be one of the last 2 weekends in January 2020. We are so busy here that I am having to forego classes to handle more of the workload of engine building, here at the training facility.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Wow - there's a lot of junk in that sump. I never expected to see a bicycle tire, though.

Best of luck.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:25 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,157 Likes on 742 Posts

With that type of sludge in the pan, it looks like that oil has been in there a long time. It also looks like regular oil, not synthetic. Did you get any maintenance records? That aside, good luck with your decision.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:25 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Wow - there's a lot of junk in that sump.

Best of luck.

Heh - brings back memories of that '50 ways to lose your motor' song adaptation thread. That was fun.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:47 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
With that type of sludge in the pan, it looks like that oil has been in there a long time. It also looks like regular oil, not synthetic.
Heavier oil in an attempt to quiet some noise?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:03 PM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Is this just another Flat6 infomercial??? If so, shame on me for tuning in...
I have no affiliation (with anyone).

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Are those cracks in the oil pan?
I don't see any cracks, where do you see cracks?

Originally Posted by supersquid
However much he paid is how much he wanted to pay.
As for rebuilding, what have you got to lose? Tons of folks with tons of experience on here to help you along the way.
I hope you choose to rebuild and I get to follow. Always wanted to rebuild a Porsche motor. Just can't find the time to justify it.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
It actually looks like a light failure.. Still has to come all apart, have ultrasonic cleaning, and etc, but it certainly appears to have some good hope for a rebuild project.
With damage like this, the primary concern is collateral damage, and cleaning all the debris from ALL the components. Cleaning will take you as long as assembly in lots of cases.
Thank you for the analysis, It gives me hope that the engine can be saved.

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Wow - there's a lot of junk in that sump. I never expected to see a bicycle tire, though.

Best of luck.
Haha, that bike has to go, it's been hanging from the rafters unused for 2 years.

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
With that type of sludge in the pan, it looks like that oil has been in there a long time. It also looks like regular oil, not synthetic. Did you get any maintenance records? That aside, good luck with your decision.
No maintenance records other than what was reported to CarFax and AutoCheck
Old 07-31-2019, 12:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Name:  HiGVxJi.jpg
Size:  1.80 MBNotice the lines around the drain plug area.
I had to do a triple take on the bike pic...

Quick Reply: I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.