Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 11:12 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
You have a nice trail from the RMS to pile of goop. Is the block leaking at that bolt?

I’d consider the IMS solution if the engine checks out. It’s easy now.
You can't do the IMS Solution on a late large bearing car without splitting the cases. LN Recommends removing the bearing seal, if you're in there.

Funny that they marked all the fasteners with a paint pen... Guess they want to make sure nothing is removed if it is returned?

It looks like the IMS Flange seal and RMS may be leaking. Both are easy to replace. I use a 3d Printed tool from Chris(MA) for RMS seal seating. You will also seal the bolts and center shaft on the IMS when you reinstall them (as I recall, there are three different Loctite products involved).
Old 12-31-2019, 07:25 PM
Raggaemon
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read that the engine number is a guide to use in determining if your car has the "bad" IMS bearing or the improved bearing. There are others saying that when the car was made matters too, early in the year vs. later in the year. Mine is an 05 S, 44K miles, runs GREAT ! How can I determine if my car was built early or late that year?

Thank you !
Old 01-01-2020, 01:58 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Raggaemon
I read that the engine number is a guide to use in determining if your car has the "bad" IMS bearing or the improved bearing. There are others saying that when the car was made matters too, early in the year vs. later in the year. Mine is an 05 S, 44K miles, runs GREAT ! How can I determine if my car was built early or late that year?

Thank you !
Cars and motors are not built at the same time. You can have a later car with an earlier built motor. There's a build date of your car on one of the black stickers under the hood or on the door jam (I forget)
Old 01-01-2020, 12:24 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Cars and motors are not built at the same time. You can have a later car with an earlier built motor. There's a build date of your car on one of the black stickers under the hood or on the door jam (I forget)

Under the door latch area of the driver's door
Old 01-01-2020, 05:30 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Hats off to you Andy for avoiding the fuss in your thread and carrying on with your project. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.