Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 01:10 AM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.

I bought the cheapest Porsche 996 on Craigslist (as a non-runner) and I think the IMS bearing has failed. The car is a 2002 911 Carrera Coupe. It has 101k miles on the odometer.

I pulled the filter, opened it up and found feromagnetic flakes (see pics). There are also feromagnetic flakes in the filter housing and in the oil that I drained out of the filter housing.

How likely is it that I can save this engine? Am I better off buying a used engine? If the engine can be saved I'd like to rebuild it myself.

Name:  1OgRYlx.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  3.53 MB

Name:  tccx9xS.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  3.54 MB

Name:  wOuhDsR.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  1.11 MB

Name:  5M70lYp.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  1.22 MB

Name:  sLNtTrl.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  1.24 MB

Name:  pZTDdg8.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  672.5 KB

Name:  ikkDMLl.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  1.43 MB

Name:  l5zEi9N.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  3.56 MB
Old 07-30-2019, 01:54 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you taken the oil pan off yet? If not, I would do that.

What did the seller say happened to the car?

Based on your pics, I think it leads to the IMS bearing.

If you're going to rebuild the engine yourself, be prepared for it to take you a while and you will need to purchase some specialty tools.

How much did you pick it up for?
Old 07-30-2019, 02:10 AM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Have you taken the oil pan off yet? If not, I would do that.
I haven't pulled the pan yet, I'll get to it sometime this week.

What did the seller say happened to the car?
He said he picked it up at auction and never drove it. It was already bad when he got it.

How much did you pick it up for?
$7,500
Old 07-30-2019, 02:24 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I think the first thing to do is take the oil pan off to see what's in there. After that, I would plan on pulling the engine and trans to inspect further since it's not running anyway.

Where do you live? I might be able to help you out with a running engine.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:21 AM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

I think the first thing to do is take the oil pan off to see what's in there. After that, I would plan on pulling the engine and trans to inspect further since it's not running anyway.

Where do you live? I might be able to help you out with a running engine.
I'm in the Denver, CO area.

Any assistance is appreciated, what did you have in mind?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:38 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 276 Posts

Does it run?
Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 117 Posts

Perfect opportunity for an LS engine change...(nice V8 growl)
The following users liked this post:
colmfmurphy (08-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 09:02 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I so want to do an LS swap...how much are the LS crate engines going for now?

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/p...hoCwxEQAvD_BwE

$7K?! YES!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

The size, shape, color, and consistency of the debris does support IMSB failure based on what I see there.. Post those pics.
Of course this is the single row IMSB fitted engine, which further supports the IMSB probability...

FYI- I will only have one M9X hands- on rebuild school in 2020, it will be held in January with a date TBD.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:09 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Ericksen
I bought the cheapest Porsche 996 on Craigslist (as a non-runner) and I think the IMS bearing has failed. The car is a 2002 911 Carrera Coupe. It has 101k miles on the odometer.

I pulled the filter, opened it up and found feromagnetic flakes (see pics). There are also feromagnetic flakes in the filter housing and in the oil that I drained out of the filter housing.

How likely is it that I can save this engine? Am I better off buying a used engine? If the engine can be saved I'd like to rebuild it myself.
Nice looking mk2 996! Unfortunate about the metal laden oil that you've discovered. IMHO, the engine should NOT be started until it's completely cleansed and rebuilt. Some people would say just "screw it" and flush it with multiple oil changes. But I'm going with the advice of many that have built and/or rebuilt these engines when they've experience what I see in your pictures. That metal contaminated oil is like sand paper to the internal engine components. Over time, it will severely damage those valuable components to the point that they can not be reused.

Now I assume you're not wanting to pay a top Porsche shop to rebuild it? Therefore, I would advise you to watch Jake Raby's videos on his YouTube channel called Rennvision. He clearly explains the good, bad, and ugly with the M96 engines on the bore scoring videos. Of course, the main topic is about why these engines suffer from cylinder bore scoring, but in the process, you learn so much about them from one of the top Porsche engine builders on the planet. Jake Raby also mentioned in a couple of threads that he will be releasing a "M9X" rebuild series by the holidays. If I was going to tackle this job on my own, I'd look into getting access to that series.

Lastly, I would caution you about buying another used engine. Why? Because it can have all the same troubles you're dealing with now. If you want to purchase another engine for this car, then I'd contact LN about finding a rebuilt motor that has all the common failure points addressed. (e.g. Nikasil plated cylinders, IMS Solution, etc.)

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
Originally Posted by jkoravos
I so want to do an LS swap...how much are the LS crate engines going for now?

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/p...hoCwxEQAvD_BwE

$7K?! YES!
Fools errand. So many people have done those swaps and ended up spending more than what a rebuild would have cost. Plus, the driving dynamics are screwed. One of the beauties of the Flat 6 engine is it's low center of gravity. Something you won't get with a LS swap IMHO.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:17 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Fools errand. So many people have done those swaps and ended up spending more than what a rebuild would have cost. Plus, the driving dynamics are screwed. One of the beauties of the Flat 6 engine is it's low center of gravity. Something you won't get with a LS swap IMHO.
Quit raining on my parade!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:23 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 626 Posts

OP,
Nobody can know the status of the engine without a nearly total tear down. Enough options out there to stuff the neck of a giraffe and gag it. IMO:
1) If this is your project for the next year...take the FSI rebuild class after you purchase the FSI rebuild video series due out before Thanksgiving (right B3?). Some very, very good rebuild threads on this forum. This route would be pretty awesome, and you might save a little $.
2) If this is your car to drive the snot out of this year...get an LN motor and install it yourself. This route puts you driving your car for somewhere near $25k (all in).
Good hunting!

Last edited by hatchetf15; 07-31-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:28 AM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
FYI- I will only have one M9X hands- on rebuild school in 2020, it will be held in January with a date TBD.
I would be very interested in that class.

Originally Posted by dak911
One of the reasons I chose this car is because it was so original, I'd like to keep it that way, so an LS (or other non-M96/03) swap is not in my future.

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Does it run?
The seller did start it for me, I had him shut it down quickly though, no sense making it worse.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:34 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Sell it (you payed to much) and start over. You're going to be in so deep you'll never get it back.
You can find a good well maintained driver for less then what this project will cost you...You might get lucky with a used motor but then you might not (another 6-10K flushed) and that motor could have issues.

Last edited by 808Bill; 07-30-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: I bought the cheapest Porsche on Craigslist and the IMS bearing has failed.