996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I live in South Carolina. The cost of living is very cheap here. And that's exactly what I'm talking about. Two kids in day care in NJ = mortage on a very nice house in SC. If I knew someone who had a good job and didn't have kids I'd be wondering why in the hell they wouldn't have a nice car. But, that's just me.

I guess some people don't see nice cars as works of art and engineering excellence...they're just status symbols.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:13 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Where do you live? I pay $1,400 a month for day care for ONE CHILD, and btw my wife drives an RX too.

We don't like it (the Rx), luckily the lease is up next month, she replaced it with an Infiniti. She wanted a sportier car.
the money we spend on 2 kid, is good for lease a boxster, cay. s, and 997, if take 529 into considiration.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:13 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

We did the day care thing for three months - then I asked my wife to quit. It was cheaper for her to be home, better for her, better for my son, and better for me. She wasn't highly paid so the daycare was MORE then what she was making.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:29 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrendanC
We did the day care thing for three months - then I asked my wife to quit. It was cheaper for her to be home, better for her, better for my son, and better for me. She wasn't highly paid so the daycare was MORE then what she was making.
Luckily my wife makes the same as me. My Daughter loves daycare, luckily. She comes first. If she didn't like it my wife would/could stay home. My duaghter happiness is more important that wife's high salary.

My wife wants a second kid, that another $1,400 a month.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:13 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Luckily my wife makes the same as me. My Daughter loves daycare, luckily. She comes first. If she didn't like it my wife would/could stay home. My duaghter happiness is more important that wife's high salary.

My wife wants a second kid, that another $1,400 a month.
And people think Porsches are expensive!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:36 AM
Troy R
Racer

I've loved Porsches since I was old enough to appreciate cars. Wanted one my whole life. Always responsible though so didn't buy one. Wife told me many, many times "just go buy one". She understands the passion. Finally bought one a month ago. Figure life is short and there will always be something more "responsible" to do with the money, so why not. It's been the best thing I've done. A lot my friends still don't know, but my close friends do. The positive ones said it was about time and I deserve it and rock on. Went over to one friends house to show him and his wife (she loves Porsches) and the first thing he said was "don't you know convertibles are for ****?" Whatever! Talk about a hater. All it showed was his insecurity and lack of confidence in himself. Family loves it, very supportive because they've known how long I've wanted one.

One thing I have certainly noticed though is other drivers tailgating me when in traffic on the highway. Get down right on my ***, and I'm not a slow driver by any means. They think that because they're on my *** they're as fast?? Also gets lots of comments in general when out it in. Where I'm at in PDX you don't see them every day. A few clients have seen it, typical first response is "obviously we're paying you too much".

I've also gotten the "midlife crisis?" question from several people. I respond with the line from PCA website - no, lifelong obsession! It's a fantastic response.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE= and the first thing he said was "don't you know convertibles are for ****?"[/QUOTE]

You should have asked him how he became such an expert on the subject
Old 05-11-2006, 03:45 AM
DennisVR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shouldn't have read this thread =/

I've been dreaming to get a Porsche for a long time already. And this year might be the year where i buy one(used 997). But my biggest fear seems to be valid after reading this thread.

I want to enjoy a Porsche, but i don't want to make my co-workers and clients envious. I've already touched the subject with my current client, and he probably would feel happy for me. But i also have to meet his clients who might be less understanding about it.

A new full option BMW would probably cost me as much, with a residual value far less than the Porsche. So the Porsche would be less expensive in the long run, but people seem to be ignorant about that fact

I wouldn't mind the people that confront me with the fact that i would drive a Porsche, i'm scared of the people that don't say a thing until i turn my back.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 AM
tbill
Racer

Envy problems happen, not only from P-cars, but homes. We live in a small (3,000) town and a young couple moved in and opened an Italian cafe. They lived in the upstairs apartment for 5-6 years. Then after they had their 1st child, they purchased a house out in our part of town and suddenly some of their old customers never come in again. We got to talking about this last week and both of us agreed it's sad-but nothing we can do about it. My wife and I have driven Cadillac's, Benz's and now P-cars and I know we have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in sales at our retail business because of the cars we drive. Gave my daughter a 2006 Mercedes SLK two weeks ago for 21st birthday and her college friends suddenly act different toward her. Just have to be as humble as possible and live with comments.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:13 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

It's your life so go out there and enjoy it. I deal with clients all the time in the auto industry. I thought about how they would feel when I show up driving a vehicle that isn't one of their own products and costs twice as much. Most love the car and ask a ton of questions and respect that they have a real car enthusiast consulting for them; it's actually helped build credibility and relationships in some cases. "nothing succeeds like success" is quite true. While others will make jealous/petty comments like " business must be too good... we obviously pay you too much" or "... you should drive something we build...". I just tell them that i can't possibly own a vehicle from every single manufacturer I represent ('cause I don't make enough ) so instead I decided to fufill a childhood dream with this one. Be humble and appreciatiative about your good fortune in owning a beautiful car and people will be fine about it.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 AM
mostserene1
Instructor

What kills me is that colleagues (when I worked, it was for a government agency), and neighbors, many of whom drive Bimmers, Mercedes, and luxury SUVs ask how I can drive such an expensive car. I know for a fact many of them paid close to if not more than me.

I'm no shrink, but what I think really bugs them is the fact that a 911 is a sports car, not a sedan or SUV, and therefore somehow frivolous.

Screw 'em. I worked hard for my money and will spend it as I choose.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:59 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
I couldn't believe people actually give a **** what kind of car you drive... it was a real eye opener for me.
C'mon- if we didn't give a ****, we would be driving Yugo's
Old 05-11-2006, 01:34 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mostserene1
(snip)
I'm no shrink, but what I think really bugs them is the fact that a 911 is a sports car, not a sedan or SUV, and therefore somehow frivolous.
So true! But for a guy with no kids like me, a 996 is a completely practical daily driver, and like others have said it makes more financial sense than an optioned-out SUV that's going to fall off the depreciation cliff.

In the two weeks I've had the car so far it's caused a bit of a stir among my neighbours, but the comments have been positive. I'm waiting with some interest for my staff to notice: they hated it when I drove a 10-year-old Mazda a couple of years ago, so I think they feel more comfortable when the boss has a nicer car!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:03 PM
club411
Pro

I always tell people" I dont care what I drive'....... long pause AS long it's a porsche...
Old 05-11-2006, 02:09 PM
mostserene1
Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostserene1
(snip)

So true! But for a guy with no kids like me, a 996 is a completely practical daily driver, and like others have said it makes more financial sense than an optioned-out SUV that's going to fall off the depreciation cliff.

In the two weeks I've had the car so far it's caused a bit of a stir among my neighbours, but the comments have been positive. I'm waiting with some interest for my staff to notice: they hated it when I drove a 10-year-old Mazda a couple of years ago, so I think they feel more comfortable when the boss has a nicer car!

NNH: No kids here either, which is a whole 'nother topic re "well, you have no kids so YOU can afford a Porsche." My wife, when asked why we don't have kids, pauses a moment and retorts, "oops, guess we forgot."

But I'm thinking of declaring our vet a dependent for tax purposes given current pet medical costs, so everybody has a financial drain somewhere.

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?