Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:33 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"but yeah I would say if you're driving in South Beach with a Turbo Cab, it wouldn't be as big of a deal."

no....TURBO cabs we still notice, heh heh....
seriously, tho - since moving here this past october, we have now instituted a $125,000 rule - anything with a retail cost below that amount doesn't 'merit' being pointed out. its crazy. our dinner-table conversation often start out with: 'well, it was another 3-bentley day'
and she drives only 8 miles to work - i work out of the house and run around on a 50cc scooter to do errands, so its not like we spend a LOT of time on the road in a normal day.

you want an inferiority complex - drive a 951 with some decent mods down here. great car, but doesn't even approach being on the automotive radar...

me - i'm a big 996 fan and we'll have one someday. soon. i'll be happy to slum around, un-noticed in that lowly ride! ;-)
Old 02-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a consumer society there are inevitably two kinds of slaves: the prisoners of addiction and the prisoners of envy.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:19 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened to "hundred thousand dollar cars, everybody got 'em"

I guess that was the 90s...

we have now instituted a $125,000 rule - anything with a retail cost below that amount doesn't 'merit' being pointed out
Old 02-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

I like the people at work who, as *soon* as they find out what you drive, start griping about how much work you don't do since you drive a Porsche. "If he drives a car like that, why isn't he working 24x7??"

Yeah, I gave away part of my life working 24x7 and made my money before the bubble blew. Now I'm putting in what I'm getting out because retiring at 30 was not what I wanted to do. So what? Mama didn't raise a fool, fool!

Usually, when someone makes some kind of (snide?) remark about my car that is obviously a bad vibe, I answer with "You should see the Lambo Diablo, Gullwing 300SL and Jag E Type I have in storage!" Keeps them guessing. :-) If they know what I'm talking about... ;-b
Old 02-18-2004, 04:06 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When people comment about me making a lot of money, or paying me too much , I just say I'm from a rich family and my dad bought me the car.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:12 PM
SorTurbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's why I will never own a Ferrari (maybe not the only reason ) I really hate that. I am thinking of tinting the wondows on my C4S because of that reason. It really is a driver's car that seems to satisfy only the driver.. SAD
Old 02-18-2004, 05:49 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is so true, i thought i was being paro.Whats up with that, I am sooo happy when i see people do well for them selfs.I guess in this world We as humans always want what someone has.I sometimes feel like an ***,because I do well,and some ppl are working 2 jobs to put food on the table.......Now ask me this Would i give it up?...................................................................NE VER
Old 02-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad about people not liking you for the car you own. I just call that being Jealious.

Glad that hasn't happened to me.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

There are two different types of Porsche Envy.

Type 1 - The common one, everybody saying..."wow you must be rich", "we pay you too much", etc... You hangout with your friends and you just happen to have one of the better cars.

Type 2 - You go to a big porsche gathering and your car gets lost in the crowd. Your car doesn't even get noticed, it's no longer one of the better ones...Now I have Porsche Envy of other Porsche's.

Weird, is it like this with other cars? I guess it just depends who you hang with.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Brian Lopez
Instructor

I stored my Porsche for a year inside my business warehouse. Customer's would always say "business must be good" or "I think I'm paying you too much" or "isn't that a little selfish?".

On the other hand, I think it lends credibility to me and what I do, compare it to the real estate agent that drives a Camry or the one that drives a Benz...who would you rather reperesent you?

Thank God I have a garage now and can keep it under wraps...
Old 02-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Scott 996
Intermediate

Type 2 is horrible. I went from ecstatic buying my first Porsche, my dream car and the envy of all around me, to shopping it around within two years in search of a GT3 ( see my other threads). Talk about " Type 2 " envy !!!
Old 02-18-2004, 08:36 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"What happened to "hundred thousand dollar cars, everybody got 'em""

yeah...we have adjusted for inflation.
i just read this thread to my girlfriend and she said that the rule actually could be increased to 200k. Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, Bentleys, GT2/3's (sympathy vote!).....
Old 02-18-2004, 09:06 PM
meridian911
AutoX

Boy this is a good thread I live in a city of 22000 and my car really sticks out.Im in retail sales and my customers say the same thing we must be paying you to much for your products if you can afford that kind of car.I used to paint houses in the late 80s and would see very wealthy people come home driving porsches and I would say man one day I'm going to be doing that and sure enough after much hard work I'm on my 5th one now these cars are the greatest.

2003 911 c4 meridian metallic
Old 02-18-2004, 09:16 PM
9 0NE 1
7th Gear

Default I know exactly what you all are talking about

My family hates it that I buy expensive cars rather than investing in more real estate. My dad is old school and believes that a car should only be a transporation from point A to point B. Like most, my "real" friends are cool with it and the others are just plain "Hatin". I don't really care much of what people say, however, its tough when you're doing well and you feel ****ty because of it.

For example, I park my 03' C2 that I bought new 2 blocks away from my office so that my clients won't see it. As well as my employees.
I work as a Service advisor and it sucks when someone ask "what do you drive?" I often say " my 87 Nissan Sentra, (which I end up driving because of the fact that I feel "****ty" with my Porsche)

I feel so bad that when they pick up their cars with a huge repair bill, and when they walk out of the parking lot, they see my brand spankin new Porsche. Hence, I park 2 blocks. With my Nissan Sentra I park right in front of my window. THAT SUCKS!
Old 02-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Reminds me of a recent story. We are adding on to our offices and one of the contractors said something about security. One of the partners told him to go look behind the back door and that is all the security he needs.

Behind our back door are (mind you all new this year) 2 AMG S 500s, E 430, The big new Lexus, the Lexus Coupe, 2 Lexus 470 SUVs, Porsche 996, Landcruisers, Infinity coupes, Landcruisers, new T-Bird, my Porsches, and even the secretaries and runners all have Tahoes, the runners dribe 5 series Bimmers, there is a BMW 745, a large crew Cab deisel with the baseball glove type of interior (King Ranch) and etc. It looks like a high end car lot behind our building. That was one of the things that attracted me to this firm was the cars. I did not want to be in a possesion of being uncomfortable rolling up in my 911s.

Dude looked at the cars and did not ask any more questions about security deposite.

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?