Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by programmatore
The project manager told me that the client had commented that "we must pay you guys too much -- especially the guy with the Porsche" and "please tell the guy with the Porsche not to drive it here next time because some of the employees felt like he was 'showing off' and were offended."
You should have responded, "I'm very offended that someone else would presume to tell me how I should spend my very hard earned money."
Old 03-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

We have a Lexus RX-330 too. Seems to be a common companion to the 911.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
We have a Lexus RX-330 too. Seems to be a common companion to the 911.
Show off!

Yeah. I love the RX-330 but I don't drive it enough -- the 996 is my daily driver! The last time I took the 996 in for service at the stealership, er, dealership (they damaged one of the sideskirts) they gave me a Cayenne S loaner. I loved driving the Cayenne S for a week but couldn't justify the price compared to the Lexus -- especially since the 996 would still be the daily driver. For now the RX-330 is the "first date car" and I only bring out the 996 on the third or fourth date.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Show off!

Yeah. I love the RX-330 but I don't drive it enough -- the 996 is my daily driver! The last time I took the 996 in for service at the stealership, er, dealership (they damaged one of the sideskirts) they gave me a Cayenne S loaner. I loved driving the Cayenne S for a week but couldn't justify the price compared to the Lexus -- especially since the 996 would still be the daily driver. For now the RX-330 is the "first date car" and I only bring out the 996 on the third or fourth date.
Not too stray too far off topic, but the only thing that peeves me about the 330 is the lack of power. Lexus just introduced the RX-350 which has 270hp, my wife and I are going to test drive it next week, if we like it we may just trade in our 330.

Now back to Porsche Therapy.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:58 PM
FlashingBlade
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also experienced mixed reactions from people at work and else where.

However, isn't it strange that when you buy a fully loaded mini van
or SUV (new) you pay as much as a slightly used P, but no one bats
an eyelash?

Porsches are not practical, they scoff. Of course I beg to differ. In day to
day use, it is perfectly practical, and besides isn't it better to drive
around in a small, Lean Emmission Vehicle than an SUV?
Old 03-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Anstett
You are not what you drive.
You're not your f%%king khakis.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 101 Posts

I totally agree with the comments that most people are 'ignorant' to the prices of cars. When I had my Boxster, since it was a new design and relatively rare, I remember not a day went by without someone commenting (in a positive way) about the car. Most people saw it as an exotic vehicle, and those that new of the Porsche marque were equally impressed. After my 1st boy was born, I managed to convince my wife that we needed an SUV, so we got the Lexus LX470. The truck loaded had a MRSP of 68K, quite a bit more than a Boxster and possible even similar or more to a base 996 in 2000. However most people did not bat an eye when seeing the truck (including family and friends) as I am sure most people ae not aware of costs of SUV's (or perhaps people view it as a family car). In any event, the truck does fly under the radar mos of the time.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:49 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
Not too stray too far off topic, but the only thing that peeves me about the 330 is the lack of power. Lexus just introduced the RX-350 which has 270hp, my wife and I are going to test drive it next week, if we like it we may just trade in our 330.

Now back to Porsche Therapy.
Riad,
Have you looked at the Infiniti FX35 or FX45? Much more get up and go and pretty good value in them too. Infiniti is one of my clients and I can't recomend their vehicles enough. When my wife's Volvo's lease is up, we'll be replacing it with either an FX or an M35x. Don't getting me wrong, Lexus' are excellent machines, just set up a little more conservatively for a (generally) older client.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:56 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

riad...try the RX400h...better acceleration and of course environmentally sound. Just got one for my wife and she loves it.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
riad...try the RX400h...better acceleration and of course environmentally sound. Just got one for my wife and she loves it.
Yes, we thought of that too.

Believe it or not the Rx400h doesn't get better gas mileage than the 330, and I think they are asking a 10k premium for it. Doh!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I can see some of this from others, but from other PORSCHE drivers?

Many years ago I was introduced to a woman in my office, and they casually mentioned that I also "had a Porsche." The woman had a 911SC at the time. (I had a turbo 911). She apparently thought I was the owner of another Porsche I had seen in our parking lot, it appeared to be a very early 924. The woman kind of brushed me off saying something to the effect of how superior the air-cooled Porsches were to any others. In time I discovered that she and her husband had several Porsches, including a 356, a 914-6, and this 911SC. I was pretty upset that she was so biased against other Porsche drivers,--and it was funny to me that she didn't even know what Porsche I owned. She's prominent in the national Porsche Club of America organization.

I have since sold that Porsche and have a wasser-boxer on order,--a new 997S Cabriolet Paint To Sample.

Dan
Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Show off!

You and Riad have the RX. While I don't have the Pcar anymore (yet) our RX is the kids carrier. I'm looking to sell my M3 to buy the 996 very soon. My wife snuck a 'rider' on the Porsche contract (buy her parents a used Lexus/MB/BMW/Volvo).

EDIT - However I still grapple what my current and prospective clients (physicians) and employees will 'think' of me and my daily beater.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

My wife and I are seriously thinking of trading in the RX-330 for the RX-350, it just might address the complaints I have about the Lexus being underpowered.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:26 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to thank you, riad, for starting and bringing this thread back up as I am new around here (not a porsche owner...yet) and missed it first (and second) time around. I read it from start to finish and have laughed and frowned with all the stories.

As a car guy my whole life I have always been happy for anyone who owned a nice car and love nothing more than to talk about it (and take a peek/listen/drive). My boss is looking to get a new sports car and I have been having a blast talking aobut it with him even though getting my dream car is something I have to wait on just a little longer (new baby on the way).

Someone mentioned that people will comment on the porsche but not on someone with kids. Kids are EXPENSIVE. An average day care alone for two kids will run you around $900/month. That alone, with a decent down payment, will get you a p-car. People without kids can afford a LOT more than people with and that is very rarely taken into account.

Also, people who say 'they aren't your real friends' may be right, but that doesn't make it hurt when it comes from someone whom you have always considered a close friend. Going through this thread and hearing some of the stories has gotten me thinking about how I would feel if some of my close friends reacted this way. It'll break your heart.

Anyway, this is the best thread ever.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:50 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bpoteat
Someone mentioned that people will comment on the porsche but not on someone with kids. Kids are EXPENSIVE. An average day care alone for two kids will run you around $900/month.
Where do you live? I pay $1,400 a month for day care for ONE CHILD, and btw my wife drives an RX too.

We don't like it (the Rx), luckily the lease is up next month, she replaced it with an Infiniti. She wanted a sportier car.

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?