996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:06 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Awesome post! Re your CEL, do you have an aftermarket intake? I ask because I had the 1123 code last year. New MAF didn’t cure it but putting the stock airbox back on did.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:23 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting. I do have a K&N intake...was running for months with no CEL. Took it out to install mounts, built a heatshielded box for it and fired back up to a CEL.
Also... this was pulling into work tonight

I always drive TC OFF hehehe...
Old 11-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Put the stock box back on and see if it goes away. My Fabspeed intake didn’t have the return elbow. It was causing turbulence around the MAF and confusing it to the point that I’d get CELs. As soon as I went back to the stock intake the issue was solved.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Projekt EPiK
Over this past weekend I took the high mileage 996 on a hi speed run up in to the mountains. Here's the kicker.. I just installed some Rennline solid mounts last week, and combined with the custom exhaust it was.. visceral. And highly enjoyable

I had the intake and air pump out to install the mounts, and when I put it all back together I have a MAF code.. umm 1123 if memory serves. I carry a KAL OBD2 scanner in the driver door pocket, so I reset it and the car drives fine. Every time it is restarted the CEL comes back on within the first mile or so. I reset it and the car drives great. So I tried to return the MAF to Rock Auto for warranty.. second time. It is an OEM Bosch BTW. They declined warranty, but said instead they will give me a full refund less $3.47 USPS shipping.. so $148 back in my account. So on that note I went the Autozone route..or tried to. My early 99 Cable throttle is not the MAF they have, and the Thanks20/Thanks30 code can't be used on it anyway.

Time was running short, and I had the run to the Tail of the Dragon looming so I decided to F it and go for it.. start car, reset CEL.. run the **** out of it.. repeat. So that is what I did all weekend. The car was brilliant. Friday night we ran from Myrtle Beach to Greeneville. SC (about 240 miles) I was chasing a 2018 WRX Sti with a radar detector and we made..umm..good time. He had to stop and fill up.. the 996 held strong and I had over a 1/4 tank when we arrived. I was amazed.

Saturday morning I topped off and we headed up to the mts. Ended up running the Tail of the Dragon, Fontana Dam, and all the surrounding roads. In one hour I was in TN, GA, and NC and back again. Came back down to Greeneville thru Bryson City, TN and Asheville, NC..350 miles round trip.. I had added about 3.5 gal after coming down from the mts that is it. We tried to run the Blue Ridge Parkway but it was gated off due to ice. I topped off Saturday night in Greeneville then we went to dinner and back to the house to bed. We rolled home Sunday morning, got home at around 2pm and I drove to work at 6pm Sunday night. Drove home from work in the morning.. still no low fuel light.. drove to work tonight, and as I'm pulling into the hospital, the low fuel light pops on. 296.5 miles to this tank.

Here is the point to this story
1. supposedly bad MAF.. clearing CEL every time I get in the car
2. she turned over 183k as I rolled back into town on Sunday afternoon.. original unmolested engine
3. I NEVER drive easy... and the return trip from the upstate was consistently 90+ mph whenever it was clear. (i need a detector too)
4. this is the highest MPG I have ever gotten so far in this car since buying it in February..many road trips at lower speeds.
5. I love my 996

I'll throw a separate post up with the pics.. it was amazing.. and the 996 was perfectly at home on the mt roads...and I thought my G35 was great last year on the same trip.

I got approximately the same OR BETTER mileage running the mountains and twisties around them than I get on my commute.

YMMV

such a beautiful drive

Tail of the Dragon at Killboys

Fontana Dam, Robbinsville, GA. Largest east of the Mississippi.

second annual memorial run for my friend's Dad. He was a big car buff and avid Mini's at the Dragon participant.

The squad. That red mini is my buddy's step mom..she led and she tears it up. white mini is out of NC and all are tuned JCW cars. The Blue STi is a 2018 and the 20 yr old 996 stayed right on em.
GREAT POST! With all the horror stories we hear about the engines being fragile, and people are afraid to drive these cars its nice to see someone post about a great running high milage car that they actually use. Looks like an awesome time.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
A little strange to get used to at first, feels a bit notchy but action still smooth gear to gear. Also seems like reverse isn't as open to get into, but after a couple times going in the new position you forget about the nuance.

Overall happy with it, but it's not nearly as short of a throw as I've had from SS's in previous cars.
Nice mod there Billup. Any chance you have a Durametric? The reason I ask is because I've read that many people experience an increase in over-revs with short shift kits. If so, drive the car for a month and so, then report back if any range 2 over-revs were recorded. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:26 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Decided to sell it!
Goes off on Friday. Have a 997.2 C2S in beautiful Guards Red and Sand Beige interior incoming as a replacement. I will always have a soft spot for the 996 though, as it taught me 911s really can do the "daily" bit without any hiccups or issues. Never a thing wrong with mine, on original IMS too. Looking forward to the next step in the 911 journey though!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:00 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a B&M Short Shift Kit in my 996 today. Big improvement over the OEM one.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Did an oil chance on the ole 996 today. Very simple to do and it gives you the opportunity to inspect the oil and filter for metal flakes and debris. I was fortunate and didn't find one thing in the filter or oil, clean as a whistle. Crazy that it costs about $130 to do it yourself though, $45 for oil filter and new drain plug gasket from Porsche dealer, and 10 qrts of Mobile one 0-w40 @$42/5qrt container.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:33 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

There are lots of options for OEM filters that don’t cost that much. Mann is one common brand that makes them for Porsche. Same product, different box, vastly different prices.

Also, the same oil is $10 less per 5 gallons on Amazon, with free shipping.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:35 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
Did an oil chance on the ole 996 today. Very simple to do and it gives you the opportunity to inspect the oil and filter for metal flakes and debris. I was fortunate and didn't find one thing in the filter or oil, clean as a whistle. Crazy that it costs about $130 to do it yourself though, $45 for oil filter and new drain plug gasket from Porsche dealer, and 10 qrts of Mobile one 0-w40 @$42/5qrt container.
Why did you pay $40 for an oil filter?
Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by cds72911
There are lots of options for OEM filters that don’t cost that much. Mann is one common brand that makes them for Porsche. Same product, different box, vastly different prices.
Yeah I had seen that when doing some research but the local parts store didn't have it. I was passing the Porsche dealer so it just made sense to grab one there. even if the filter is 50% of the cost its still pricey, that damn synthetic oil will get ya. Plus it was a good reason to poke around the showroom.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Why did you pay $40 for an oil filter?
Dealer, $35 for the filter, 5 for the drain plug gasket.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:14 AM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Nice mod there Billup. Any chance you have a Durametric? The reason I ask is because I've read that many people experience an increase in over-revs with short shift kits. If so, drive the car for a month and so, then report back if any range 2 over-revs were recorded. Thank you.
Unfortunately I don't at this time, it's on the list of 2019 purchases however.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:43 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

You got jacked on the filter and the oil! Next time, buy them on Amazon or go to Walmart and save yourself an extra $60. If you want to look on the bright side, you can take solace in the fact that your local Porsche "stealer" would have charged you $400 for the privilege of bringing it to them... but you could have had a nice cup o' joe on them!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Wow!
I usually buy 6 filters and a package of drain plug o-rings at a time.
That way I don’t have to worry about having what I need when it’s time.
I do that for all my vehicles.
Oil is usually bought a month or so before I need it too.
When I sell a vehicle I usually have some spare parts for it too, mainly maintenance items.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?