996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Pictures of the power soaking are requested.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:52 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Jacked her up to change a leaking header gasket and saw wires sticking out of my tire...Rush down to get my new Sumi's mounted and back to the header an hour later. The cheap headers flange has warped and I had to pull a manifold (temp fix) off of my other motor...Snowball effect today as the last bolt farthest back took me about an hour to get back in! 45 min job that took 3 hours...Then there's the guy that in the van that power soaked me on purpose while I was riding a back to go get my truck! Lol.

Which one is you?
Old 11-11-2018, 10:53 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I passed my vehicle inspection.
Now I can register it for another year.

The guy who inspected it, and pulled it into and out of the bay, had to do a few short revs afterward to hear how it sounded.
It sounded nice echoing through the shop.(Fabspeed rocks!)
Luckily he only got to drive it about 20 feet.
...and no, I didn’t complain.
I completely understand.
The oil was up to temperature and he didn’t rev it to redline.
He probably only hit 4K.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
Let's just say Karma's a bitch sometimes...
Old 11-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These unusually dry, November days are having me get up earlier to walk the dog and plot a drive. When I offered to make a donut run this morning, I had the green light. Took the long way. Shown is my 1 month old(to me) 99 with originally optioned colored crest caps and rear wiper. A fellow Rennlister graciously hooked me up with the amber turn signals, which I happily replaced along with non led bulbs for them. Period correct is my goal so the PSS9's fit right in, to me.
Thanks for being here Rennlist!
Happy motoring, Tommy

The following users liked this post:
peterp (06-16-2021)
Old 11-11-2018, 02:23 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

lookin good! Time for some red/amber rear lights?
Old 11-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Originally Posted by DGI
lookin good! Time for some red/amber rear lights?
OMG! I didnt even notice! Whelp... I'd better start lookin!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Cleaned, vacuumed, oil change (11qts), new RS683 brake fluid. Self-tech found that a wheel stud had loosened up - so I got that taken care of.

All else seems well with the car and ready for my 3-day weekend at Sebring (instructors weekend Friday Saturday and instructing a repeat student Sunday).

Some other cool stuff going on down there - but I can’t discuss yet. 🙂
Old 11-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice! Let us know how it goes.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Went for a drive in the hills above LA with my buddy and his tricked out 69 AMX😁

Old 11-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 608 Likes on 336 Posts

Installed Schnell SS as well as replaced the crummy stock shift linkage with billet EVOMS, 997 master cylinder next to complete the eternal shift issues.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:45 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
Installed Schnell SS as well as replaced the crummy stock shift linkage with billet EVOMS, 997 master cylinder next to complete the eternal shift issues.

Hows the shifter feel?
Old 11-12-2018, 03:06 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 749 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Let's just say Karma's a bitch sometimes...
Here is that Audi driver later on ...

Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 608 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Hows the shifter feel?
A little strange to get used to at first, feels a bit notchy but action still smooth gear to gear. Also seems like reverse isn't as open to get into, but after a couple times going in the new position you forget about the nuance.

Overall happy with it, but it's not nearly as short of a throw as I've had from SS's in previous cars.
The following users liked this post:
rbsj (09-06-2023)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:33 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Over this past weekend I took the high mileage 996 on a hi speed run up in to the mountains. Here's the kicker.. I just installed some Rennline solid mounts last week, and combined with the custom exhaust it was.. visceral. And highly enjoyable

I had the intake and air pump out to install the mounts, and when I put it all back together I have a MAF code.. umm 1123 if memory serves. I carry a KAL OBD2 scanner in the driver door pocket, so I reset it and the car drives fine. Every time it is restarted the CEL comes back on within the first mile or so. I reset it and the car drives great. So I tried to return the MAF to Rock Auto for warranty.. second time. It is an OEM Bosch BTW. They declined warranty, but said instead they will give me a full refund less $3.47 USPS shipping.. so $148 back in my account. So on that note I went the Autozone route..or tried to. My early 99 Cable throttle is not the MAF they have, and the Thanks20/Thanks30 code can't be used on it anyway.

Time was running short, and I had the run to the Tail of the Dragon looming so I decided to F it and go for it.. start car, reset CEL.. run the **** out of it.. repeat. So that is what I did all weekend. The car was brilliant. Friday night we ran from Myrtle Beach to Greeneville. SC (about 240 miles) I was chasing a 2018 WRX Sti with a radar detector and we made..umm..good time. He had to stop and fill up.. the 996 held strong and I had over a 1/4 tank when we arrived. I was amazed.

Saturday morning I topped off and we headed up to the mts. Ended up running the Tail of the Dragon, Fontana Dam, and all the surrounding roads. In one hour I was in TN, GA, and NC and back again. Came back down to Greeneville thru Bryson City, TN and Asheville, NC..350 miles round trip.. I had added about 3.5 gal after coming down from the mts that is it. We tried to run the Blue Ridge Parkway but it was gated off due to ice. I topped off Saturday night in Greeneville then we went to dinner and back to the house to bed. We rolled home Sunday morning, got home at around 2pm and I drove to work at 6pm Sunday night. Drove home from work in the morning.. still no low fuel light.. drove to work tonight, and as I'm pulling into the hospital, the low fuel light pops on. 296.5 miles to this tank.

Here is the point to this story
1. supposedly bad MAF.. clearing CEL every time I get in the car
2. she turned over 183k as I rolled back into town on Sunday afternoon.. original unmolested engine
3. I NEVER drive easy... and the return trip from the upstate was consistently 90+ mph whenever it was clear. (i need a detector too)
4. this is the highest MPG I have ever gotten so far in this car since buying it in February..many road trips at lower speeds.
5. I love my 996

I'll throw a separate post up with the pics.. it was amazing.. and the 996 was perfectly at home on the mt roads...and I thought my G35 was great last year on the same trip.

I got approximately the same OR BETTER mileage running the mountains and twisties around them than I get on my commute.

YMMV

such a beautiful drive

Tail of the Dragon at Killboys

Fontana Dam, Robbinsville, GA. Largest east of the Mississippi.

second annual memorial run for my friend's Dad. He was a big car buff and avid Mini's at the Dragon participant.

The squad. That red mini is my buddy's step mom..she led and she tears it up. white mini is out of NC and all are tuned JCW cars. The Blue STi is a 2018 and the 20 yr old 996 stayed right on em.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?