996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020 | 09:48 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golock911
I'm with you! I have 3 pairs of glasses: distance with computer (arm length) bifocal for driving and biking, computer and reading focus bifocal for just about everything except biking and driving, and one distance and close bifocal that I rarely use. Drives me crazy to have glasses on the end of my nose to keep things in focus.
They do make a Progressive Tri-focal and I love them.
Old 08-17-2020 | 09:55 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBSL
Just an engine and 4 wheels!
You obviously haven't had to change an AOS or clutch.
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020 | 12:33 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
I discovered that I"m too old to work on this car. I changed the plugs and coils on the driver side but couldn't remove one of the nuts in the muffler bracket on the passenger side. I had read that some people have changed the plugs without removing the mufflers so I gave it a try. I was able to change the two forward plugs and coils but there is no way to get the rear-most passenger side plug. I went back to trying to remove the last muffler nut by spraying with PB Blaster, waiting, trying again - rinse, repeat for 3 hours. It's the bottom one so not much room to work or to get leverage. Meanwhile my vertigo kept kicking in and my muscles kept cramping and I kept misplacing tools. I'm bringing my car in for engine-out major service tomorrow - IMSB, UAOS, Chain guides...and now a plug and coil, an oil filler tube, and the updated AOS coolant connection - parts that I have on hand but no longer want to deal with.
I know how you feel.
I enjoy working on all kinds of cars, including my 996, but wonder how much longer that is going to be possible.
I used to do all my own home electrical/network cabling/TV cable/POTS work.
I've run lots of extra(and extended) electrical circuits for my house.
But a couple of years ago decided that my days of climbing through the attic were coming to an end.
That was about the time that I started having problems with vertigo.
I now have an electrician that I use for any work that involve the attic.
He's coming out tomorrow to install a dedicated circuit for my garage's "portable" AC unit.
I've added additional lighting in the garage(my eyes need more lighting these days) and now the AC unit occasionally trips the breaker.
He added a dedicated 30A circuit to my compressor 2 years ago when it was doing the same thing.
It's tough paying someone to do something that I know I could do myself...but when I see him comedown from the attic tomorrow all sweaty and I'm sitting there sipping a nice cold brew...I think I'll be ok with it.
sgt1372 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020 | 04:07 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I enjoy working on all kinds of cars, including my 996, but wonder how much longer that is going to be possible.
Back in the "day" when I didn't have any money but was a poor high school/college student and young married person, I did my own work to save $ but I NEVER enjoyed it and frankly wasn't that good at it.

I will still turn a screw driver, hex key, wrench or socket when it is easy and more convenient for me to do so BUT I will avoid the job if it would be easier to just let somebody else do it. Among the things I will still do are: swap out tires/wheels (I've got a compressor and air impact wrench) and any relatively easy part swap out that only requires a screw driver and or a wrench/socket.

I replaced the right visor in my 996 which only required a hex socket, replaced the ashtray w/a an open tray that only required a screw driver and hex socket and replaced thge awful wheels/tires that came w/the car w/Carrerra II wheels/tires that I drove 800 miles RT to get in Riverside, CA, but I would NEVER bother to change the plugs, oil or anything else in my 996.

That I'd leave to the professionals, who IMO deserve the $ they are paid (if they do it "right") in order to save me the time/trouble to do it myself.

Last edited by sgt1372; 08-17-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2020 | 08:00 PM
nrp3
Pro

No shame to anyone who pays others to do it for them. It's the only way I can afford to own this car, doing some of the work myself. I'm an electrician, generator service guy, and gas licensed, but not terribly fond of plumbing or carpentry. I have people for that.
The following 2 users liked this post by nrp3:
Elumere (08-22-2020), paddlefoot64 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020 | 08:06 PM
nrp3
Pro

Originally Posted by 808Bill
They do make a Progressive Tri-focal and I love them.
I need to take a visit to my eye doctor, because more recently the distance vision has degraded. The typical age related close up vision loss is there, but now reading street signs is getting tough so it's time to invest in some better glasses. Thank goodness for smart phones and the cameras that allow me to magnify things so I can read labels.
Old 08-17-2020 | 09:09 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Dodged a bullet.
Actually it was a 17 lb container of laundry detergent. I went to get something out of the garage when I got home from work today and found this. When I was inspecting the car for damage I noticed white dust over everything and figured out it must have been an earthquake. It was.
The dust was from the ceiling drywall. I was driving when it hit and never felt a thing. I'm not sure how it got from the shelf over the washer/dryer to that close to the front of the car.

Magnitude 5.1 Baja earthquake felt across San Diego County

Old 08-17-2020 | 09:57 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Dodged a bullet.
Actually it was a 17 lb container of laundry detergent. I went to get something out of the garage when I got home from work today and found this. When I was inspecting the car for damage I noticed white dust over everything and figured out it must have been an earthquake. It was.
The dust was from the ceiling drywall. I was driving when it hit and never felt a thing. I'm not sure how it got from the shelf over the washer/dryer to that close to the front of the car.

Magnitude 5.1 Baja earthquake felt across San Diego County

ouch, that could have been worse.
Old 08-17-2020 | 11:37 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I know how you feel.
I used to do all my own home electrical/network cabling/TV cable/POTS work.
I've run lots of extra(and extended) electrical circuits for my house.
But a couple of years ago decided that my days of climbing through the attic were coming to an end.
That was about the time that I started having problems with vertigo.
I now have an electrician that I use for any work that involve the attic.
He's coming out tomorrow to install a dedicated circuit for my garage's "portable" AC unit.
I've added additional lighting in the garage(my eyes need more lighting these days) and now the AC unit occasionally trips the breaker.
He added a dedicated 30A circuit to my compressor 2 years ago when it was doing the same thing.
It's tough paying someone to do something that I know I could do myself...but when I see him comedown from the attic tomorrow all sweaty and I'm sitting there sipping a nice cold brew...I think I'll be ok with it.
It's tough being on the back nine but I have no complaints. Most of my stuff still works as intended. I have always done everything in my house - electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting etc. The few times I let my wife talk me into having someone do the work I regretted it. No one cares as much as you do about how a job is done in your home. I tend to over-build everything. My biggest handicap is the vertigo. That complicates everything, especially with this car since so much work needs to be done on your back. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
Old 08-17-2020 | 11:48 PM
GPappy
Racer

It's tough being on the back nine but I have no complaints. Most of my stuff still works as intended. I have always done everything in my house - electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting etc. The few times I let my wife talk me into having someone do the work I regretted it. No one cares as much as you do about how a job is done in your home. I tend to over-build everything. My biggest handicap is the vertigo. That complicates everything, especially with this car since so much work needs to be done on your back. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
As I used to tell my father, getting old ain't for sissy's. Sigh. Now I am within a couple of years of when I used to tell him that.

I have occasional bouts with Vertigo. Found that if I do the Eply maneuver periodically I can keep it in check. I also just purchased a lift so that I can continue to comfortably work on cars. Should have bought one 30 years ago but I was always too cheap.
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:18 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPappy
As I used to tell my father, getting old ain't for sissy's. Sigh. Now I am within a couple of years of when I used to tell him that.

I have occasional bouts with Vertigo. Found that if I do the Eply maneuver periodically I can keep it in check. I also just purchased a lift so that I can continue to comfortably work on cars. Should have bought one 30 years ago but I was always too cheap.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm going to try the maneuver. When it was first suggested to me my vertigo was so bad I didn't want to risk it. A lift would be good to have but it would be a challenge since my garage is detached and has no power.
Old 08-18-2020 | 08:27 AM
GPappy
Racer

Sounds like a good plan. I'm going to try the maneuver. When it was first suggested to me my vertigo was so bad I didn't want to risk it. A lift would be good to have but it would be a challenge since my garage is detached and has no power.
I first used the manuever when I couldn't get out of bed without hitting the floor and had to lay on my left side or watch the room spin. I did the manuever twice and all spinning stopped immediately. All was normal the next day. Did that a few times over the years but now as soon as I sense even a little dizziness I do the maneuver so it doesn't get that bad.

The manuever is not fun. You will get vertigo while you are doing it but if done right it will clear it up..

Can't help you on the power unless you want to run a generator for the short time you are raising the lift.
Old 08-18-2020 | 09:45 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

For those in earthquake country, I saw a picture of a Porsche covered in paint. They had built an overhead storage unit in the garage and stored a bunch of paint cans up there. Earthquake hit and knocked the paint cans off the overhead shelf unit onto the car parked below. Ouch! Moral to this story, look at what is stored over and around your car in the garage.
Old 08-18-2020 | 11:32 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Eply maneuver doesn't work for me.

Even doing it 4 times a day for a week didn't help last year.
After 2 weeks it started to go away on its own.
I still have a slight case from time to time.
I think it is triggered by seasonal allergies.
sasilverbullet (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 11:35 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
For those in earthquake country, I saw a picture of a Porsche covered in paint. They had built an overhead storage unit in the garage and stored a bunch of paint cans up there. Earthquake hit and knocked the paint cans off the overhead shelf unit onto the car parked below. Ouch! Moral to this story, look at what is stored over and around your car in the garage.
After Hurricane Harvey, my plan for escaping flooding on my 996 is my QuickJack.
I didn't flood, but since each flooding event has caused waters to get higher and higher in my area, I'm glad that I have close to 24" extra height for my 911.
All my other vehicles(06 Mustang & minivan) can drown.
Porschetech3 (08-18-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?