Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Installed a new head unit to compliment my recent speaker upgrade.
I decided to replace the stock Becker head unit with this Continental CD7416UB-OR. There aren't a lot of choices if you're trying to keep the look period correct and still have all the modern features.

When I bought this car, I vowed not to do any mods that weren't reversible. I also never hack wiring in any of my nice cars so I bought this pigtail from Bergvill that makes it an easy plug & play.

Pulling the head unit out is no problem but I found that removing the HVAC controls makes the install soooo much easier. It's only two phillips head screws and the wires are long enough that you don't have to unplug anything.

It's a pretty good match on the display color too.

where what is that usb cig lighter replacement plug? I love it
Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Put on 15mm rear, 7mm front spacers and went for a drive.

I love the decal!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 PM
KingArthurHS
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Not today but on Sunday. Applied Rain-X to windshield, windows, mirrors, rear window and, way more importantly, fixed my speedometer!

The actual physical overlay inside the panel wasn't sitting flat and was stopping the needle from spinning. I noticed a wavering look on the overlay and used a flashlight to see if it was touching the bottom of the needle. So I took the cluster apart (cleaned all the plug contacts I could on there), and after re-assembly, voila! Analog speedo worko! It seems to track right along with the digital readout (about 4-5 MPH above GPS), but at least they're consistent!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:28 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,508 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
My question to you is does your audio system involve the frunk amp? If so, how did you make the Continental work? I had spoken to one of the Continental reps a year or so ago and they said their radios didn't provide the pre-amp output like the Harman Becker radios (e.g. CDR-220) and that the speaker level output would have to be used to drive the speakers. That's fine if you only have a four speaker system, but most of the systems in the Porsche 996 cars are 6 speaker systems. Plus, since the speaker output wiring is in the frunk, trying to interconnect from the Continental radio would be a nightmare. What radio was in your 996 before you switched to the Continental? Thank you.
The Continental replaced a Becker CDR 220. I think De Jeeper explained the wiring as well as I can. I would add that my adapter pigtail from Bergvill is, as I understand it, for cars with the factory Hi-fi option(option code: 490). I'm not sure if it will work with the standard audio package.

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
I love this mug... I need one now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWD7ZVX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWD7ZVX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally Posted by Dranon
where what is that usb cig lighter replacement plug? I love it
Here you go:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V3YDR5/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V3YDR5/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-25-2018, 11:34 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Getting ready for the first track day of the year...

Struggled but got the Rennline kit in there with Corbeau seats

Self explanatory

Thanks for the recommendation Slakker!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:50 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Over this past weekend I installed the short shift kit I bought from Sweet Victory on here. For me at least, it transformed the feel of the car.. a little notchy but it lends to a sportier feel. I'm really enjoying it and I put almost 50 miles on it driving around late Saturday night trying it out. I hope to get to the RennLine mounts this weekend but the rain in the forecast is not looking conducive to that.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:41 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

"as I understand it, for cars with the factory Hi-fi option(option code: 490). I'm not sure if it will work with the standard audio package."

This is the exact opposite of what the Continental distributor told me. He said the radio only had speaker level outputs and would not work with the factory amp. Looking at the owners manual it's hard to tell as they only list R+,R-, L+, L-.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:52 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I love the decal!
Thanks. Stickers add fun.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:25 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

02 sensors today
Old 09-28-2018, 03:15 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I actually saw the continental install pics last night and decided to buy the non-cd version. Its exactly what i was looking for as far as look and inputs. To answere the amp question above. The continental will feed the factory non MOST amp through the speaker wires just like the factory head unit. The plug he posted will make it a direct no cut install. I have already swaped out my amp for an atermarket unit. When u r look for an amp just pick on that accepts "high line level" (normal speaker wire) of just get a converter. Its a pretty simple work around if u need "low line level" (rca outs).
We may be talking about apples and oranges here. De Jeeper says he's not using the factory amp (Hi Fi option). The factory amp is fed by line level outputs from the CDR-220, not speaker level outputs. I have emails from the manufacturer stating that it won't work with the factory amp. Others have reported they heard the same. If someone can confirm that they have successfully used this radio with the factory amp and speakers, it could be a very good option.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:40 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

If someone can confirm that they have successfully used this radio with the factory amp and speakers, it could be a very good option.
You should check my link to the "adapter pigtail from Bergvill" in my previous post.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:51 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

. If someone can confirm that they have successfully used this radio with the factory amp and speakers, it could be a very good option.
I'm confused about this also. The 7416 that SoCal911t installed, clearly says it has speaker level outputs only. https://www.bergvillfx.com/index.php...7416ub-or.html And the factory AMP needs line level inputs. The $55.00 harness ( adapter pigtail from Bergvill ) doesn't appear to have any active electronics, so I can't see how the signal is converted back down to line level. So does that means maybe the AMP has the possibility of speaker level inputs? I had been assuming that a Line-Output-Converter is needed, also about $40 - $50 depending on what quality is chosen. Those will bring the speaker level output from the Continental back down to line level for the just fine -- my big concern has been the 3 stages: 1. amplify to speaker level, 2. down to line level, and then 3. amplify once again to speaker level. How much noise and distortion will this create?

Anyway, I guess I just need to call Bergville?
Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed a LN Engineering spin-on oil filter adapter and magnetic oil plug to my 99 996 C4.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:22 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
my big concern has been the 3 stages: 1. amplify to speaker level, 2. down to line level, and then 3. amplify once again to speaker level. How much noise and distortion will this create?
I think the Continental sounds a little better than the Becker. I never listened to Mom when she told me to "turn down that music!" so my ears may not be the best judge though. The Bergvill adapter definitely is using some kind of output converter but I can't say if it's passive or powered. If I had known there was this much interest, I would have taken the shrink tubing off for a closer look.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:41 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,833 Posts

To be honest the factory amp is not the best anyways i think the kenwood amp i bought was $200 and i was able to mount it to the factory bracket. Probaby a 10 fold improvement. If u wanted to keep the factory amp the low line level converters r cheap and i highly doubt u would hear any aditional "noise" or it would sound any worse then the becker.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?