Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 12:18 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

[QUOTE=Jean]Buddy G, this is not 6SPEED!

Jean,

Thanks for pointing out the obvious! Time will tell
what happens with my car but I know many satisfied
customers of the EVO/PES/Imagine Auto GT640/GT700/GT800
kits.

Whatever you have your points I have mine, doubtful we
will change anyones minds.

That's why we have free enterprise so everyone can make
their own decisions.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rassel
Isn't 9FF a company or actually their products, a bit too young to see their lifespan?
A 700bhp with +10k, would be very interesting to see. Either it's BS, or they've spent lots of money and knowledge in to it. Anyway, time will tell.

BuddyG - I'm completly stunned about your comment....
What is there to be stunned about?? I stated the facts, TB seems
to make some big accusations with no facts to back it up against a very reputable tuner in the states.

Whatever!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Buddy G, nothing to do with your tuner, I said it because of the ridiculous false patriotic statement you just made, that I initially thought it was a joke, but now after your response to Rassel, it seems you were serious. If you were serious, let me know because I will make sure it is deleted from here and you take it with you to another forum that accepts this kind of BS.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:08 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jean
Buddy G, nothing to do with your tuner, I said it because of the ridiculous false patriotic statement you just made, that I initially thought it was a joke, but now after your response to Rassel, it seems you were serious. If you were serious, let me know because I will make sure it is deleted from here and you take it with you to another forum that accepts this kind of BS.
You obviously don't know me very well. I made that post, yes with some jest, but I also don't care for the way TB makes accusations, like the Euro tuners are the only ones that know anything. If this is not a site that allows free speech than maybe you should delete my posts.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:32 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

TB,
Let me see if I can help. Once again there seems to be a lack of understanding that may be clouding your views a bit. I originally listed a set of dynos that were the top in the tuning industry. While Dynojet is widly known and used here in the states it is because they are cheap and produce numbers. I do not have a dynojet. I have a Mustang AWD dyno. It is an eddie current…a big motor if you will. The system then uses a 1K flywheel to dampen vibrations. The method you menton is how all tuning SHOULD be done. It is called steady state. We hold the dyno at a given RPM then add or subtract timing and watch the TQ curve. The Eddie Current holds that RPM based on what you set it to, or you can manually tell it the next speed rather than programming it. You then step it to the next KPA/RPM and continue to do this until your cells are done. On a Mustang as well as others you can program step and time for each RPM then the next and so on. It does have the ability to do a sweep as well.

Our dyno uses no drums. We have rollers coupled to a shaft. That shaft is driven by the Eddie Current. The front and rear shafts are combined by a enormous drive belt. This is the way the AWD on a TT stays safe. To give the number one reason most don’t use these, well try about 100K worth of reasons to the Dynojets higher numbers and 30K+/- price tag.

You want to see load. I should find the JPEG we have of a supercharged 996 we were steady stating. We started to melt the straps from the headers glowing and putting off so much heat they went through the heat blanket and started on our straps.

Now, as promised there were some changes that were being made to the site. Most of the site has been uploaded as of last night and you will see that the kits on both the 996 and 993 TTs have the proper disclaimers in place and have changed a bit.

My numbers are what they are from our shop. See not all of us do it the same…..
Old 08-12-2005, 03:03 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Being a Brit and now living in the US, I will say a few things First off we're on the same side... whether it be in Wars or wanting HP... Todd @ EVO makes some VERY good and powerful kits for the 996TT, which is why people like Stephen or ourselves sell and install them. They are actually cheaper in cost than the Europeans- that part is a fact. Also at the independantly tested dyno during the Twin Turbo shoot out all cars running his packadges smoked to the competition.... There's no doubt that RuF makes some AMAZING quality stuff and has done so for years. Their philosophy's and pricing might be different but they're not perfect either In fact earlier this year I _****_ you not we had a customer with a 996 TT RuF VIN car come in and say "Hey guys I read what you guys did at the shoot out, can you rescue my car it handles like XXXX?". I was shocked at that statement... the car was a full RuF packadge, beautiful in every aspect in terms of the body modifications, paint and INCREADBILE integrated roll cage. Then we looked under the hood.. there were certainly some things that could have been done better. Going to all the trouble of cutting the fenders, whilst cool, but why not at least upgrade to GT2 intercoolers? Also upping the boost and yet retaining the stock diverter valves? I think we can all agree that's a no-no. I look up to RuF, I really do so it was suprising to say the least. I know a lot of their original guys have left to go to 9ff so that might explain it.

The brakes whilst upgraded to pseudo-GT3 brakes could have been improved upon and we did that with GTRs. The suspension was literally junk. I'm talking big fat springs and H&R style coil overs... We went with double adjustable motons

Anyways, I'm going to crawl back under my shell, since I'm truly am NOT an authority and to be frank I've only learned what little I do know from a handful of guys like Kevin, James, Todd, Mike, Stephen and taking apart, then breaking and fixing stuff on my own lil' ride...
Old 08-12-2005, 03:16 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Now, as promised there were some changes that were being made to the site. Most of the site has been uploaded as of last night and you will see that the kits on both the 996 and 993 TTs have the proper disclaimers in place and have changed a bit.

My numbers are what they are from our shop. See not all of us do it the same…..
Got you now, I actually thought you thought that you were getting 600hp from that little $10.5K list - To be a pedant, isn't your first pic of a 993 N/A motor converted to tt rather than a modded 993tt ?
Regards the dynos, thanks for the explanation, for the record I know the owners of RS laugh at the prospect of calibrating a motor on any chassis dyno but hey what do they know - they've probably never seen a Mustang Dyno.
BTW I was not trying to lump you in with other tuners - I respect your knowledge and importantly hands on experience and would put you up there with the best in the US.
BTW thanks for the MAF it arrived this week
Old 08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Anyway it's a fact that in Europe we have better women. That we all know.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:09 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sharkster
Anyway it's a fact that in Europe we have better women. That we all know.
Your smoking dope monkeyboy, the finest women are right here in the good ole USA. I am married to one of them!

Old 08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off topic I know but of equal impotance

The finest women are in Montreal Quebec just north of you. Your wife being the exception.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:37 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Got you now, I actually thought you thought that you were getting 600hp from that little $10.5K list - To be a pedant, isn't your first pic of a 993 N/A motor converted to tt rather than a modded 993tt ?
Actually that one was a build to spec TT motor. The case was from an NA car but the heads, Pc and Cs were actually all TT. The motor actually went into a 79 930. Only part of it started life as a TT

For me personally, I think engine dynos leave to much on the table. To often I have had cars set up that way only to find they need to be retuned in the chassis. Now to be fair, almost always some tuning needs to be done after the chassis dyno. While dynos get you there 95% of the way it leaves that 5% on the table. It is the 5% that separates the few from the masses.

You are welcome. Glad you got it, and thank you for the kind words.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:43 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I thought European woman had hair under their arms!! I am KIDING!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you water cooled guys are drinking antifreez?

JK

Glad to see you all joining in the spirt of things.

Steven what is 502whp and 504wtq on a mustang AWD dyno (with drive shaft connected) in approx crank HP?

FWIW the CF was 1.004
Old 08-12-2005, 05:01 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the air cooled site remember, and yes if you must know we mix different color antifreeze and make great cocktails. Actually known to enhance the dyno in my butt........

BTW. Good question, but how would you quantify it unless you take the motor out and put it on an engine dyno right after or just before?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Fastest928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex,
Please clarify ... are you saying a factory RUF porsche handled like crap? Dont tell Steve Beddor or many other folks who actually race their "street" RUF and also drive it on the raod!

The big difference is that both Factiory and most Euro tuners actually run their engines for anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes at either max hp or max tq. This testing is one of the definitions of reliability that I doubt many "outragous" hp engines, either 993 or 996 can sustain.

Keep in mind, that every engine, suspension, chassis or other system can be independently improved, but to raise the "system" level of perfromance is pure engineeering. And the system is cooling, braking, suspension, engien performance, aerodynamics, reliability, etc.

Building Porsches to run at 200 mph for minutes at a time, cornering at 180 mph plus, then back up to 200 mph is a system level challenge that few have successfully accomplished in a street car.

An engineers view.

Regards,
Marc

Quick Reply: 60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!