Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:01 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Dknebes
Here is the web page of the 993 with 875 rwhp. It ran in the high 9's. The video of the dyno pull is scary; the car even though strapped down very well starts to pull up on the rollers. My car is scary fast but his is crazy..

http://www.globalnetspace.com/porsche.html
That is one sick 993 turbo!
Old 08-09-2005, 11:02 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jean
David the link does not seem to be working. High 9's is not that good for this hp, most likely because of a lot of wheelspin, that is why a 60-130 would be more illustrative. I wonder how can he still be using the 4WD system and not burning the VC and shaft.
High 9's is awesome for a 911, they are not made to be drag cars!

Old 08-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyG

Check this thread:

Buddy, no offense, and great to have you here, but other than we are not big fans of 6speed claims here, the link that you posted is not related to an acceleration run, do we need to have it? Looking forward to hear about your runs, I am sure you have a rocket.

Last edited by Jean; 08-11-2005 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:25 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Buddy
It is good to have you here, but as Jean says, the 6bling site as it is affectionately known is a good place to go for hyperbole and fantasy hp. The fastest European Ring racers manage 700hp, down to 550hp in the heat of the laps, 6blingers reckon they have 600, 700, 800hp just for a bit of boulevard cruising
In your signature on 6speed you have 0-132mph in 11.3 secs. Assuming 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, that gives you 60-130mph in about 7.4 seconds - an excellent time and an honest 550hp but no more
Old 08-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TB, I enjoy your doses or reality (for me as well), I originally thought that a person could
take a 993tt and throw a little ecu programming at it and have 480 HP---HA. Buddy G. love
your quest for top line H.P. using American tuners!!!. TB, I am curious how you "calculate"
h.p. of 550 (to the crank??) from his very excellent 0-132 #'s of 11.3 seconds ??
please advise what your assumptions are.
thanks,
Marty
Old 08-10-2005, 02:40 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodster
TB, I enjoy your doses or reality (for me as well), I originally thought that a person could
take a 993tt and throw a little ecu programming at it and have 480 HP---HA. Buddy G. love
your quest for top line H.P. using American tuners!!!. TB, I am curious how you "calculate"
h.p. of 550 (to the crank??) from his very excellent 0-132 #'s of 11.3 seconds ??
please advise what your assumptions are.
thanks,
Marty
Marty
Firstly I do not mean to come accross belittling to Buddy and apologise if that is the case. He seems like a top guy and I always enjoy reading his posts both here and on 6bling, its just I see Rennlist Technical forums as just that, technical and in particular this thread is about proving your hp number. Calculating buddy's hp starts with the premise that I only trust certain tuner's numbers, from years of reading road tests with their acceleration numbers and/or lap times, one can get a handle on whose hp numbers are equivalent to Porsche hp numbers. This is a massive moot point, I love the debates on other forums about how much power the new 997tt should have and people who think they have 600 or 700hp saying that the new 997tt should have 550hp standard - If Porsche gave the market a 997tt with 520 Porsche hp (ie with their normal shape torque curve) it would be dangerous to most owners - the fact is, particularly in the US, but increasingly in Europe cough 9ff cough - hp numbers are not equivalent of Porsche hp numbers.
Anyway, you didn't ask me about the 997tt.
If you look at this link, Porsche then 2003
http://www.einszweidrei.de/
You will see a GT2 with RS Tuning 542hp package, now OK the GT2 will be a bit lighter, but 0-124mph in 10.7 secs so 0-132 in what 11.5 secs ? so even allowing for Buddy'd car's weight they will be in the same ball park. Now the thing which I believe would set the cars apart is at higher speeds, the RS car does 0-186mph in 28.5 secs, it is my belief that Buddy's car would be so heat soaked that it would be much slower than this.
I would love to be proved wrong, I ask myself if all the 996tt packages offered by the guys who inhabit the forums are real, why don't any Germans buy them ? they are a fraction of the cost of a equivalent hp package from a reputable German tuner.

Last edited by TB993tt; 08-10-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:45 PM
MOD500
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
.....I would love to be proved wrong, I ask myself if all the 996tt packages offered by the guys who inhabit the forums are real, why don't any Germans buy them ? they are a fraction of the cost of a equivalent hp package from a reputable German tuner.
Very true.

I really like this forum for that very reason; frank and real discussion of numbers.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:58 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jean
Buddy, no offense, and great to have you here, but other than we are not big fans of 6speed claims here, the link that you posted is not related to an acceleration run, do we need to have it? Looking forward to hear about your runs, I am sure you have a rocket.
I will be picking up my car on Monday and I will do some runs for you after that.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:02 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Buddy
It is good to have you here, but as Jean says, the 6bling site as it is affectionately known is a good place to go for hyperbole and fantasy hp. The fastest European Ring racers manage 700hp, down to 550hp in the heat of the laps, 6blingers reckon they have 600, 700, 800hp just for a bit of boulevard cruising
In your signature on 6speed you have 0-132mph in 11.3 secs. Assuming 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, that gives you 60-130mph in about 7.4 seconds - an excellent time and an honest 550hp but no more
Well, my car was having serious trouble at the European Car shootout. The car had just been built without any amount of test driving and we kept blowing the hose off the intake. After the quarter mile run for the magazine we opened the engine compartment and once again the hose had blown off during the run. I believe the car was a high 10 second quarter mile car before and it will be even faster now. I will post 60 to 130 after I pick it up on Monday. I don't want to just talk numbers I want my car to be able to back them up.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:04 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Marty
Firstly I do not mean to come accross belittling to Buddy and apologise if that is the case. He seems like a top guy and I always enjoy reading his posts both here and on 6bling, its just I see Rennlist Technical forums as just that, technical and in particular this thread is about proving your hp number. Calculating buddy's hp starts with the premise that I only trust certain tuner's numbers, from years of reading road tests with their acceleration numbers and/or lap times, one can get a handle on whose hp numbers are equivalent to Porsche hp numbers. This is a massive moot point, I love the debates on other forums about how much power the new 997tt should have and people who think they have 600 or 700hp saying that the new 997tt should have 550hp standard - If Porsche gave the market a 997tt with 520 Porsche hp (ie with their normal shape torque curve) it would be dangerous to most owners - the fact is, particularly in the US, but increasingly in Europe cough 9ff cough - hp numbers are not equivalent of Porsche hp numbers.
Anyway, you didn't ask me about the 997tt.
If you look at this link, Porsche then 2003
http://www.einszweidrei.de/
You will see a GT2 with RS Tuning 542hp package, now OK the GT2 will be a bit lighter, but 0-124mph in 10.7 secs so 0-132 in what 11.5 secs ? so even allowing for Buddy'd car's weight they will be in the same ball park. Now the thing which I believe would set the cars apart is at higher speeds, the RS car does 0-186mph in 28.5 secs, it is my belief that Buddy's car would be so heat soaked that it would be much slower than this.
I would love to be proved wrong, I ask myself if all the 996tt packages offered by the guys who inhabit the forums are real, why don't any Germans buy them ? they are a fraction of the cost of a equivalent hp package from a reputable German tuner.
What would make you think my car would be heat soaked??

ps: So far no offense has been taken on my part.

pss: I would love to prove you wrong and I will certainly try!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:17 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ask myself if all the 996tt packages offered by the guys who inhabit the forums are real, why don't any Germans buy them ? they are a fraction of the cost of a equivalent hp package from a reputable German tuner.
TB, it has always been this way. We are the damn Yankees and even if something we did was better there is NO way they would ever consider it. They don't fully understand the American 1/4 mile thing and choose to have a different set of theories verses the yanks. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone appreciates the different types of performance. Heck, I was asked once what I did for a living. I responded, I build Porsche motors and make them faster. The guy asked, "why would you do that??" Well, if I have to explain he wouldn't get it anyway. My point, I know I do things with 930s especially European tuners don't do and know what we do works! I sell to a lot of people overseas, but never a shop nor tuner. As I said the differences in pride and philosophies are just too different. Besides, someone is always going to be faster.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:21 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Doesn't matter... I win <g>
Old 08-11-2005, 01:27 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I get that all the time. "well I could add this or that and will beat you" My response is always the same. Ok....thats it.No retort. For me I am happy with my car. I have had unusable power. Hell, what I have now is ok for the street and is not usable for the track. About 550HP would be perfect. I could easily build a L/W 1000HP 930, but it wouldn't be drivable and doesn't make sense...for me at least. I am happy and look for the whole package. Although what I have is a bit weighted on HP..
Old 08-11-2005, 02:47 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Stephen
I don't want to enter a debate about tuning skills, especially with the master The only thing I would like to say is that the perception that Germans look down at US tuners is not correct, some do, just like many US tuners laugh at the numbers given by Germans. European are sceptical of the huge hp numbers posted of course, and I can understand that, when they are not posted according to certain established standards, and they are made while running sick boost levels.

I have witnessed first hand two weeks ago one of the best German tuners and reknown racers, congratulate my builder for his work done, and not hiding their amazement at the numbers double tested in their own premises on a MAHA.. The Europeans love accelration runs as much or more than Americans, albeit they do not have as many drag strips, but their magazines are so full of tests, 0-60mph, 0-400 mtrs, 0-1000mtrs, 0-200KPH, etc..that I wish any US Porsche magazine had even 10% of that. Tuner shootouts happen by the dozen too. It would be as simple as flying over a car or two from the EVOMS/PES/IA (as an example) to Germany and have them run the 'Ring, as the most reknown track in the world, with a local professional driver, and also do some acceleration runs.. It would be worth the marketing..Not about US vs. Europe, but about GIAC based cars doing true marketing to themselves, the cost would be ridiculous, and the benefits huge..It cannot be more difficult than it was for me as an individual to ship my car over there and really know how good or bad it is.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:18 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jean,

No need for the Ring, we can make it much easier, just hand me the keys to one of those 700 - 800 whp GIAC cars and I will run them from Munich to Frankfurt at 2 am non stop full bore on pump gas . Let's see if I have to call the ADAC or not.

Quick Reply: 60-130 MPH: New performance measurement!