Sponsored by:

Strange sound from rebuilt engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:31 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Missed some excitement, been away! Any particles/debris in the case itself?

The layshaft bearings always seem to show more wear than the crank bearings, as well as the nose bearing - how does that look?

Well, are are as deep into it as you can be, I guess you are closer to knowing what needs to be done. I have read that even if the crank is repaired, it's hard for any repair shops to get the same quality nitriding to harden the wear surfaces.

I am not sure where you are putting the engine together, but treat it a like a clean-room -no dust, no drafts, everything needs to be clean, wiped down just before assembly, etc.

You going to ship the stuff over to Ollies and get it all checked out?- it's good to live in CA, a lot of good machines shops close to you.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-10-2013, 12:38 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The other thing that needs to be checked is the line bores of the case to make sure they are still in spec.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Marine Crankshaft in Santa Ana may be able to help you with the crank. They use a local nitriding service but in the past have had to ship the crank to Ollies to pull the plugs and clean the crank after a re-grind.

http://www.marinecrankshaftinc.com/
Old 03-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Marine Crankshaft in Santa Ana may be able to help you with the crank. They use a local nitriding service but in the past have had to ship the crank to Ollies to pull the plugs and clean the crank after a re-grind.

http://www.marinecrankshaftinc.com/
JMHO, but it will cost less to buy a good used crank and clean it, compared to the cost of have it re-ground, hardened, and buying oversized bearings.

BTDT many many times,...
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
JMHO, but it will cost less to buy a good used crank and clean it, compared to the cost of have it re-ground, hardened, and buying oversized bearings.

BTDT many many times,...
Good advice. Forgot about cost of bearings.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
How does the oil pump feel?
It actually spins nicely.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

I didn't see any shavings in the case. There were a couple of spots of a gray film which is probably tiny metalic particles.

I did find a couple of nasty gashes between cylinder holes (pictures later, camera battery dead). Probably from the rod caps. Anyone have a spare case?

Nose bearing has a nick on the side (outer). It's hard to evaluate when you've never seen it before.

I was thinking along the same lines regarding the crank. Repair and oversize bearings is in $1K -2K range. The thing is toast so it is a moot point. The other day there was a brand new one on ebay for $1650. Actually, still there LINK. I emailed the guy but never heard back so who knows if that was or is for real. A couple of RL'ers have good used ones so I will prolly go that route.

There is a good shop in Santa Clara (about 60 minute drive) called German Precision. If the case can be saved I might go here to have it checked out, cleaned, etc. Shipping the case to Ollies or Steve W. is problematic because of the expense of shipping along with having to remove the head studs.

Just received three boxes of Kimtech Science Wipes (these are great BTW). Yes, my parking spot is covered but open air so I will need to find a better location for assembly. Maybe I will set it up in my dining room, Hee Hee
Or, I will have the shop do the bottom end.

Originally Posted by Mike J
Missed some excitement, been away! Any particles/debris in the case itself?

The layshaft bearings always seem to show more wear than the crank bearings, as well as the nose bearing - how does that look?

Well, are are as deep into it as you can be, I guess you are closer to knowing what needs to be done. I have read that even if the crank is repaired, it's hard for any repair shops to get the same quality nitriding to harden the wear surfaces.

I am not sure where you are putting the engine together, but treat it a like a clean-room -no dust, no drafts, everything needs to be clean, wiped down just before assembly, etc.

You going to ship the stuff over to Ollies and get it all checked out?- it's good to live in CA, a lot of good machines shops close to you.

Cheers,

Mike
Attached Images  

Last edited by Vorsicht; 03-11-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trophy
I have the following parts if you need them:

Oil Pump
Rods
P&C's
STD Cams
Might need oil pump. I'm not sure about it though. Do shops rebuild these? As you said before it might be worth replacing but they are expensive.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I hate to say this, but have you considered just buying a used engine? I know the risks there, but even if you take some of the guys up on this list with their great deals they are offering, with all the machining and replacement parts, it might be more expensive to fix than just to replace.

Yeah, I know, getting a used engine is also risky - possible inaccurate condition, mileage, etc. But you can get an engine, swap the new heads which would solve any valve guide issues, and go from there. This especially comes attractive if you need to replace the case, crank, barrels, rods, pump, etc.... and you can sell parts of your existing engine that you don't need and are still good.

Not sure, I would definitely lay out a spreadsheet and shop around to see what makes sense.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
Might need oil pump. I'm not sure about it though. Do shops rebuild these? As you said before it might be worth replacing but they are expensive.
Peter, I'm really sorry for all the troubles with your motor, you must be stressed as hell, I know I am after reading this thread, do yourself a favor and call these guys they'll probably save you some money in the long run. http://www.motormeister.com/suz/index.html
Old 03-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You are joking, right?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
...do yourself a favor and call these guys they'll probably save you some money in the long run. http://www.motormeister.com/suz/index.html
Wow...I'm speechless.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike J
You are joking, right?
Of course I'm joking! Specially when talking about buying a used engine. Just git-r-done and forget about used engines!

But I am stressed with this thread and the motor issues, what a head ache.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
.. I know I am after reading this thread, do yourself a favor and call these guys they'll probably save you some money in the long run. http://www.motormeister.com/suz/index.html
After reading about their "rebuilds" I wouldn't send my lawnmower engine to them.

my $0.02.....you're going to spend a bunch of money now. For a few bucks in freight send the engine to Steve W.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:51 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Originally Posted by matt777
After reading about their "rebuilds" I wouldn't send my lawnmower engine to them.

my $0.02.....you're going to spend a bunch of money now. For a few bucks in freight send the engine to Steve W.
There's absolutely NO difference between a used engine and their rebuilds. Well, maybe I would have them rebuild my HF 4 cycle engine. I cannot believe some one here suggested a used engine.

Quick Reply: Strange sound from rebuilt engine...