993 Forum 1995-1998

Strange sound from rebuilt engine...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
After reading about their "rebuilds" I wouldn't send my lawnmower engine to them.

my $0.02.....you're going to spend a bunch of money now. For a few bucks in freight send the engine to Steve W.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:38 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
There's absolutely NO difference between a used engine and their rebuilds. Well, maybe I would have them rebuild my HF 4 cycle engine. I cannot believe some one here suggested a used engine.
Sorry, disagree. I would take a good used motor any day over one of motormeister's nightmares. Mike J's suggestion is very valid. It is an option that I would certainly consider in this situation.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I cannot believe some one here suggested a used engine.
Why not ? If his engine has a bad crank, case, oil pump, jugs, rods, etc -> basically the bottom end, the parts/repairs/machining may be more expensive than getting another engine, tearing it down, building up a new good engine and selling the surplus parts.

Not sure why you would believe this is not a valid approach worthy of consideration?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-11-2013, 03:59 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's absolutely NO difference between a used engine and their rebuilds.
This just doesn't make any sense. A used engine is vastly better than a Motormeister rebuild. What the hell are you talking about?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:03 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

A full page on discussing Motormeister...........

Mike has a good suggestion. Do a spreadsheet on a rebuild first. The heads still should have the valves checked by a shop. A visual will not tell you if there is a slight bend or damage to a valve stem. Ollie's cleans and polishes pumps. You can take the pump apart and inspect the impellers and case yourself. A used short block will set you back 6.5K and you could transfer your heads and sell the used ones for around 800.00. If the case checks out you have another 1.5k there. Full rebuild is your best option and with the parts being offered up I think you can get it done for less than the short block, but a bunch of time on your end. It will be as close to new as you can get.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

There's absolutely NO difference between a used engine and their rebuilds. Well, maybe I would have them rebuild my HF 4 cycle engine. I cannot believe some one here suggested a used engine.
I think you need to duck out of this thread.

First, you recommend MM in a manner that no one can figure out is a joke, then you talk poorly of a good used engine.

For someone in this situation that isn't looking for more power or a wild build, a used engine is an excellent choice, especially if he can pop his refreshed heads on the used engine.

Of course due diligence is necessary, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a used engine.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If I were in Pete's shoes, I'd certainly be looking at a used motor. Just do you homework, and like others have said, just freshen up the heads.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am with many others here, a used engine would be a good way to go. You have already had your heads reworked by Steve W, these could go on the new engine.

Sell off the unused parts, there are alot that can be sold off including all the intake, fan, alternator etc.

Then have Andreas make a clock, or some other funky piece of art with the crank, rods pistons etc
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I have. A short block if one can be found. What is the general concensus about price? I've seen one for 4K.

Originally Posted by Mike J
I hate to say this, but have you considered just buying a used engine? I know the risks there, but even if you take some of the guys up on this list with their great deals they are offering, with all the machining and replacement parts, it might be more expensive to fix than just to replace.

Yeah, I know, getting a used engine is also risky - possible inaccurate condition, mileage, etc. But you can get an engine, swap the new heads which would solve any valve guide issues, and go from there. This especially comes attractive if you need to replace the case, crank, barrels, rods, pump, etc.... and you can sell parts of your existing engine that you don't need and are still good.

Not sure, I would definitely lay out a spreadsheet and shop around to see what makes sense.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I hate to say this, but have you considered just buying a used engine? I know the risks there, but even if you take some of the guys up on this list with their great deals they are offering, with all the machining and replacement parts, it might be more expensive to fix than just to replace.
This.

Responded to your PM, Peter.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:49 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

On a side note... If the case is not salvageable, let me know! I'm thinking of a cool flat-six table idea.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Here are some pics of the inside of the case. There are 4 areas of concern here:

2 Silver Gashes.
1 black area below one of the gashes. This is an oil passage. Is that supposed to be exposed?
1. Scratch marks in last photo appear to have been made by the chain.
Attached Images    
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I would be a bit nervous about buying a long block for 4K. A short block for 4k is a bit tough to evaluate where the long block allows you to look at valve wear etc.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default options

i would not spend 4000 on an unknown short block. send your case out to be cleaned and inspected. the oil sprayers and all gallery plugs need removed and the oil bar in the cam housing, dont forget. if the case is good, you could always shuffle pin it. i know money is a factor, but you dont want to buy stuff you not sure of the condition . if its junk then money wasted. i stick with steve w. maybe let him build the short block for you. im not saying you cant do it but it would suck to have to pull out if there is a leak. sometimes you just have to pay to have the job done correctly. these engine are way to exspensive to go down an unkown road. the professional know all the secrets and while there here to help, there not going to just give all their knowledge away. you can always make more money. take a shortcut unintensially and you will be pissed. i mean no disrespect just trying to help you out. These engines are costly, as you know. i wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch
i would not spend 4000 on an unknown short block. send your case out to be cleaned and inspected. the oil sprayers and all gallery plugs need removed and the oil bar in the cam housing, dont forget. if the case is good, you could always shuffle pin it. i know money is a factor, but you dont want to buy stuff you not sure of the condition . if its junk then money wasted. i stick with steve w. maybe let him build the short block for you. im not saying you cant do it but it would suck to have to pull out if there is a leak. sometimes you just have to pay to have the job done correctly. these engine are way to exspensive to go down an unkown road. the professional know all the secrets and while there here to help, there not going to just give all their knowledge away. you can always make more money. take a shortcut unintensially and you will be pissed. i mean no disrespect just trying to help you out. These engines are costly, as you know. i wish you the best of luck.
All good advice. No disrespect taken, quite the opposite. I would not, ***** nilly, shell out 4k for anything. That 4K figure was just something I saw over at Pelican Forums from last year. It is just a reference point. I'm just trying to get an idea of various costs and figuring out what my options are. There are multiple routes to take at this point so I am just gathering info with which to make a good decision. Your input is valued.

Quick Reply: Strange sound from rebuilt engine...