Strange sound from rebuilt engine...

Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

See my comments in green.

Originally Posted by Mike J
Off the top of my head...

Interesting about the oil cooler - was the corrosion inside or outside, and what do they think was the cause?

They said internal. Did not ask about cause - I just figured age.

You are replacing the rings, correct?

Was not planning on it - should I? They look OK.

With four chain sprockets, you are replacing the layshaft sprocket as well? I seem to remember that was a bit of a press fit. What about the chain guides?

Yes, Layshaft sprockets. I figured if I'm doing the cam side I should do the other side. How to get them off/on? The chain rails were new. Curiously, one of them cracked (right). Not sure why/how. I'll post pictures of it when I do the rebuild thread (after I get the case back). Obviously, I will replace the cracked one.

You flushing out the chain tensioners as well? How about the lifters?

Yes on the tensioners. No on the lifters. I don't want to risk breaking them but I will try squirting in some carb cleaner.

I assume on assembly you are going to check clearances, etc? I would buy a ARP or equivalent rod stretch gauge, it is not expensive - most accurate method for torquing the rod bolts and now doable since the crankshaft is out.

Absolutely, and I will be using plenty of plastigage. I was planning on using torque method with the value from the machine shop after they stretch/re-size.
Cheers

Mike
Old 04-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
See my comments in green.
Replacing the sprockets as a set when replacing the chain is a good idea - I did that, I figured let them bed in all together.

As for rings, what is "alright"? did you measure the ring gap and the land sizes on the pistons?

I would pull the lifters and flush them, and if one need replacing, so be it. If you are spending this $$$, the additional cost is worth it.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Replacing the sprockets as a set when replacing the chain is a good idea - I did that, I figured let them bed in all together.

As for rings, what is "alright"? did you measure the ring gap and the land sizes on the pistons?

I would pull the lifters and flush them, and if one need replacing, so be it. If you are spending this $$$, the additional cost is worth it.

Cheers,

Mike
Yes, I will measure the ring gap and the piston grooves. The rings were brand new but it doesn't hurt to check.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

With as much running as you did, without a lot of load/acceleration and deceleration/ decompression, I'd not chance the rings seating.

In for a penny, in for a lb.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Erin606
This sure does sound like a lack of oil issue. Total capacity if you drained everything is more than 9. Did you drain the oil lines, oil cooler etc?
Huh? Not sure if you read the thread - the issue has been found, and a solution is being worked on.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 PM
bobboinski
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Huh? Not sure if you read the thread - the issue has been found, and a solution is being worked on.
See the first line of post #14. I think this is an a
automated post. Same thing in the Sloan Cars thread.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, you are totally right - attack of some bots?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

They are tracking ip addresses(?) via http://xin70.info/ and seem to have posted to a LOT of web forums.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:42 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter,

I may have a set of tensioners I can donate to the cause. They are used, but good. If I locate them I will get them in the mail.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
With as much running as you did, without a lot of load/acceleration and deceleration/ decompression, I'd not chance the rings seating.

In for a penny, in for a lb.
Before I buy a new set of rings I want to understand why the old ones should not be used. The rings were brand new and have a total of one hour run time. 15 minutes of that was at 2000-2500 RPM. The rest was between 1200 (inital start up ) to 800 (Idle stabilization). Are we saying the rings deformed/seated in an inappropriate manner and are thus suspect? I don't think the old new rings got seated properly as there was evidence of blow by (oil) on top of the pistons. No problem getting new ones, just don't want to spend needlessly.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the update Peter.

I don't see any reason for not using the new rings you have. A quick check as per Mike above and you should be good. (I am assuming that there are no new marks in the cylinders etc)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobt993
Peter,

I may have a set of tensioners I can donate to the cause. They are used, but good. If I locate them I will get them in the mail.
Bob, Thanks. Not sure this is 100% necessary as I should be able to flush them out. However, it certainly couldn't hurt and would increase chance of success. So send 'em if you have 'em. Appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
Before I buy a new set of rings I want to understand why the old ones should not be used. The rings were brand new and have a total of one hour run time. 15 minutes of that was at 2000-2500 RPM. The rest was between 1200 (inital start up ) to 800 (Idle stabilization). Are we saying the rings deformed/seated in an inappropriate manner and are thus suspect? I don't think the old new rings got seated properly as there was evidence of blow by (oil) on top of the pistons. No problem getting new ones, just don't want to spend needlessly.
It's always been my understanding that load on an engine puts pressure on the rings, keeping them pushed against the cyl wall during break-in, assuring them breaking in correctly, and getting a good seal.

You had no load on your engine during your run-in, so I'd questin if these could have simply glazed, or not seated correctly. Perhaps a more experienced build can answer. I've done one-but break-in is somewhat critical, and I'd go with new rings.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:09 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on materials so some good advice from Steve W would be great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange sound from rebuilt engine...