Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double post.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
Just started up my newly rebuilt engine (top end) and am experiencing a very loud rattling sound (louder than it sounds in video). See attached video

So this wasn't just a top end rebuild then?
I didn't think anything serious of the oil pressure due to the fact it was stated as a top end job. Yeah rod/crank bearing tolerances play a major roll in oil pressure. I'm sorry to see this.

Last edited by CalvinC4S; 03-05-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:24 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
VIEW DISCRETION IS ADVISED!

I finally found out the cause of the noise and it aint pretty....
Vorsicht,
First off, BRAVO for tackling something like this yourself. Someone smarter than I said "You learn more from failure than from success."

To illustrate, I just helped ZombiePorsche44 through a flawless R&R of belts, fan bearing, and alternator in an afternoon.....using my knowledge of my 3x alternator rebuild over 2 months due to my own error on install round 1. Application of the BFH and alternator removal are NOT compatible...who knew... Oh, not to mention snapping 2 new belts due to a rag left on the bumper that was sucked into the fan... Oh, and I need another full rebuilt alternator, since the thing STILL isn't right.

You are not alone my friend.
Originally Posted by Mike J
All in all, take heart, you found the issue, now you need to figure out what's next, be methodical and go forward. Please lean on all of use, we have literally several lifetimes of engine experience on the forum, and we would help you on each step...
^^^^THIS...is why I am here. Good people.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jstyer
^^^^^^ That's exactly what I'm wondering as well... Especially if the rod bearings were professionally mounted by Steve, that is so much play, I'm just at a loss.

Keep at it Peter!
I think Peter sent out the rods to to Steve to be inspected, machined and fitted with ARP rod bolts (along with the heads, etc). The engine itself was not sent out, and the case was not split, so rod preparation would have been done by Steve, but the final fitting and "mounting" would have been done locally by Peter, which should have included a clearance check, and proper torquing. If you are using ARP bolts and the torque method, there is a burnishing procedure you need to go through, but Steve may have done that given he set the rod bolts using a stretch gauge.

Because of the debris in the the oil stream, I think the only option forward is to split the case and do a complete cleaning, otherwise there is a risk of other pieces of debris in the system somewhere than can ruin any number of components, including bearings, pumpt, etc. He will need to split the case anyways to get the crank checked and cleaned, and then build it up from there. Steve mentioned that as well previously. The good news is that it will be a complete rebuild which should last many years.

Again, Peter, take heart, we are all behind you!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Check the rod bolts' end from the video...The nuts rhyme and are not loose.
This video shows how these engines are tough. Whatever the reason, with such play in the rods, the engine ran and ran.
The rods being loose, the engine case got filled up with oil from the crankshaft.
Hopefully you have the bearings inside, and that the rods are wrong. Lets hope the crankshaft is fine.
The challenge is to remedy with the least cost.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

George, you think with the particles in the filter, the case need to be split, and the entire oil system cleaned?

Cheers

Mike
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
George, you think with the particles in the filter, the case need to be split, and the entire oil system cleaned?
Cheers
Mike
I would clean it with baby cotton swabs if it was me, up to the oil cooler.
And my first worry would be to rebuild with the least cost since I do not have funds these days
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Just read through this, sorry to hear about the problems but glad you found out what the issue was and I wish you the best with getting all back together!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Peter I am glad you avoided the take it out and run it hard to pump up the lifters. That would have left you with a pile of metal. Sounds like the bearings may not be on the rods. I have an extra 993 crank that was machined/ magnaflux'd at Ollies if it turns out you need one.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 73 Posts

I could just cry.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW, you have to split the case. If the rods were hitting the cylinders then it is likely the oil pump has been hit also. Clearance on the pump is really tight eg Carillo rods require machining of the pump itself. Bummer, but it absolutely could have been worse.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

MEA CULPA! MEA CULPA! No. Bearings. MEA CULPA!

I offer this with tongue in cheek: Confiteor

Confiteor Deo omnipotenti, et vobis fratres, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo, opere et omissione: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Ideo precor beatam Mariam semper Virginem, omnes Angelos et Sanctos, et vos, fratres, orare pro me ad Dominum Deum nostrum.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you guess which one is me and which one is my 993?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ugh. Well, we've all been there once you do enough of these, or any, engines. Can't say I can admit to this particular omission.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I knew a fella who did the same thing in a Ford marine diesel. Bloody thing already made so much noise that you couldn't hear anything odd, but he noted that the oil pressure was low for a rebuilt engine and that was the giveaway.

After a VERY thorough cleaning and a replacement of the rods & crank, everything turned out fine.

Quick Reply: Strange sound from rebuilt engine...