Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Mid-Life Crisis?" was the 1st comment a date had when I picked her up in my 993 :o)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default "Mid-Life Crisis?" was the 1st comment a date had when I picked her up in my 993 :o)

I was surprised by the comment as no one had ever said it before to me. Being married for 10 years it had never come up. Now that I'm dating again, things are different and a lady that I went on a 2nd date with asked me this question on Sunday as I whisked her off to a play downtown that we had tickets for.

I was taken aback and was kind of left speechless for a second thinking about what she said. Mid-life crisis? What a crappy thought. But, I was ready to defend myself and said "Actually, I had one for 5 years before this and bought it when I was 38, then I got this one and have had it for 7 years. I definitely wouldn't say it was purchased out of any crisis, but it was a childhood dream that came real for me by working but butt off to eventually purchase it".

There - I got her back . She kind of laughed when she initially said it and added that she LOVED the car. She asked a lot of questions about it and said it rode so low to the ground which was cool to her. She drives a 5 speed Scion XA, not that there's anything wrong with that. She has always and only driven a stick shift. That's cool in my book.

It was a nice date, but no chemistry. Oh well - on to the next one.

So ... did you ever meet someone - friend, date or workmate and they asked you "Mid-life crisis?" when noticing your 993?

I don't really consider a 15 year old 993 a mid-life crisis kind of car anyway, but then again, most people looking at our cars probably think they're a lot newer if they're kept up nicely and may assume that we might be having a mid-life crisis if they didn't know us better!

Pretty funny stuff I thought afterwards...

Steve R

Such a wee, little car next to a big sedan...

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 02-22-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve - interesting "date" - are we to understand that your marital situation has changed or were you given a "hall pass"? Have not seen you posting much lately either. While this is a bit off topic - are you going to help plan a coffee and ride soon? I know there is snow on the ground tonight but Spring is coming soon (I hope).
Old 02-22-2011, 01:02 AM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I turned 40... Last April 7. Had the car paid for April 30th. Crisis... Childhood dream.. damn straight.. Worked my butt off, sure.. Stars aligned and my friend was selling the my dream car the same month I turned 40, sure... Stock market up at the same moment.. Yup...

Wait.. There was a crisis... I call kismet... And now.. you can't wipe the perma-smile off me...

BTW... Guess Im lucky... wife loves it.. and has no desire no learn to drive sitck... so i dont even have to share....

Great looking car BTW...
Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheeky b****! you are lucky there was no chemistry...........
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Steve - interesting "date" - are we to understand that your marital situation has changed or were you given a "hall pass"? Have not seen you posting much lately either. While this is a bit off topic - are you going to help plan a coffee and ride soon? I know there is snow on the ground tonight but Spring is coming soon (I hope).
Yep, wife left 9 months ago, 3 days before our 10th anniversary. C'est la vie...

Got sad, mad and now ... I'm kind of glad.

Yes, I'd love to help plan a coffee and ride soon! Stay tuned... as soon as the weather breaks and spring is in the air it will happen. Maybe sooner.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:31 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Steve, Steve, Steve. As you get into this modern dating crapshoot, you'll learn to save your dinner budgets by turning around and living dates that ask dumb questions immediately. Seriously, man
Old 02-22-2011, 01:33 AM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Steve, Sorry to hear about your marriage not working out, but I'm glad that you're not wasting anytime and getting right back into the dating scene.... Did you ever get your SAI - CEL fixed? I remembered you had the CEL light on.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me tell you a kind of "opposite" story. On or about my 35th birthday, my wife surprised me by having a brand new motorcycle delivered to our home. I had always wanted one but never got around to getting one. (used to borrow a fraternity brother's bike in college. We'd trade my car for his bike from time to time - and I got the "bug").

In any event, we were at a neighborhood party a month or so later. One of the resident neighborhood "bi-ches" - who stuck her nose into everyone's business, casually asked me at the party: "hey, what did your wife think of you getting a motorcycle (we had 3 relatively young children at the time)?". Let me translate her question into English: "how, you moron, could you possibly be so irresponsible - to put everything at risk by driving around on that "death trap". Only an immature, irresponsible jerk would do that to his wife and family". (That's what she really meant).

I calmly told her: "my wife bought it for me".

Well, her face turned white. My wife watched this entire event from nearby. It was one of the highlights of my life. Needless-to-say, she made sure her wimp of a husband never spent any time with me after that.

My wife has turned out to be a real keeper. 41 years and counting. Still have a Porsche and a motorcycle. Only relatively small problem is she hates riding in the Porsche with me and will not ever ride on the bike. Frankly, I don't mind. At least she has zero interest in ever driving either vehicle.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 AM
Thatcher
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't take comments like that too seriously.. i'm sure she didn't mean anything by it.

more importantly, why are you going on a second date with someone who you don't have any chemistry with?

if it makes you feel any better, i've had friends and girls mention a mid life crisis to me, and i'm only 27
Old 02-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Mid Life REWARD car...the only crisis is not being able to drive it this winter.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 AM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the time to say "this post is worthless without pics"?

Seriously, though, dude, hang in there! If it's been 9 months that's really not much time at all to unwind the past 10 years. I'm guessing you're less than 50 y/o and 'everything' is working fine w/o chemical assistance, right? So take your time, go out on dates, have some fun (but do no harm), learn from those experiences, etc. And enjoy driving the car - you know it's a feeling, not a midlife crisis... Maybe you'll meet someone who doesn't give a flying fig about cars, but is happy knowing you get pleasure from the 993.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 98_993_cab
Is it the time to say "this post is worthless without pics"?

Seriously, though, dude, hang in there! If it's been 9 months that's really not much time at all to unwind the past 10 years. I'm guessing you're less than 50 y/o and 'everything' is working fine w/o chemical assistance, right? So take your time, go out on dates, have some fun (but do no harm), learn from those experiences, etc. And enjoy driving the car - you know it's a feeling, not a midlife crisis... Maybe you'll meet someone who doesn't give a flying fig about cars, but is happy knowing you get pleasure from the 993.
98-993-cab - Here here! Just turned 50 2 weeks ago, everything is working more than fine, healthy as an ox and going on a few dates a week. I did date a lady for 2 months till Thanksgiving and she really liked riding in the 993 and said she found it comfortable. My soon to be ex never liked riding in it at all, and only liked the 88 911 while we were dating. Once we were married, it wasn't her cup of tea and incessantly asked me to sell it.

No worries on that front any more. If I sell it now, it'll be because I make the decision. Yahooooo!

CAHRERA - And yes, I did get my CEL fixed about a year ago. No light since and I drive it a lot. Got 90k miles now on it. I'm trying to buy my wife out of her portion of the house so I can keep it, and holding onto this car is iffy on a long term basis as I might need to come up with some extra scratch but at least it will be with me till June for sure!

Porschemikeandnancy - Great motorcycle/993 story. You obviously got a keeper!

Magdaddy - I drive mine all winter long in between snow and salting when the pavement is back to normal. If it sits too long it's not happy.

nile13 - My dates have been on the inexpensive side... Usually meet for coffee or a drink. The play was free (got free tix through a friend) and we did it Sunday afternoon and dropped her off before dinner . Wasn't feeling it so dinner was out. Next?!

abtcup - Sometimes you're not sure and you meet someone for a 2nd time just to be sure to rule her in or out. When we first met through mutual friends on a double date, she drove me back to my car actually and was wide eyed a bit. It was pretty funny since her Scion XA was absolutely filthy and she had to movie all this stuff off the front seat and the floor area and when she saw my car gleaming in the sun, detailed to the max, she got out to look at it with an awe in her face. It was funny to see. I always downplay it of course.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My midlife crisis started when I was about 11. All I wanted to do was drive. I learned how to drive a 4 speed at age 12 by stealing my brothers Datsun 1200 coupe after school while he smoked pot and watched TV. I could barely see over the steering wheel but did not kill myself or others!

Glad to hear you still have your car Steve...I know the D-I-V-O-R-C-E has been financially challenging. Hope you can keep it long term!

There should be a few cursory tests before a new date is allowed to get into your 993!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Clear sign on 2nd date it was not meant to be.

There are haters out there, usually people very unhappy with their lives, that can't stand to see others happy. Life's too short to be a hater.

GLW dating seen, life can be better when you can share your passions with someone who cares that you are happy. Even better if they choose to partake.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

get that all the time, btw was at Rogers yesterday and mentioned to him how pleased you were with the AC job. He was happy to hear that..............

Last edited by TRINITONY; 02-22-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: "Mid-Life Crisis?" was the 1st comment a date had when I picked her up in my 993 :o)