993 Forum 1995-1998

New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Wonderful! It would be nice if it were possible to have a glass window on the cab top. I suppose on these they have to be able to be folded/pleated. (My blue 'speedster')
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

The idea of the Speedster is to be an open top car for 99% of the time with just an Emergency roof more akin to an umberella! The roof when folded rolls & folds into a relatively small space.
The Speedster supplement stipulates that the roof is NOT designed for 100% weather protection - do expect water ingress! Do not put through a car wash!
So developing a glass window (with a heater!) is at odds with 'Open topped motoring'
Graham
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Graham. Too true. But you must admit this hardtop option available to you (quite easily) makes the car look very agressive - almost "bandit" 993 street rod like whie also be very pratical in UKs less than predicatble/ideal climate.
Attached Images    
Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Hi Macca
Yes I've found a couple of hard top roofs for sale on the internet, and spoke to a fellow Speedster owner who has one. The trouble is, you have to remove the canvas roof and frame, and bolt on the hardtop - so it aint a 10 min job, plus a storage and handling issue. This car is a Summer car, and will go into hibernation through the winter months. I have a couple of other cars as well, so not short of wheels!
Graham
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
smoothcab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Graham, Is the machine completed and do you plan a photo shoot? Were those wheels photoshopped on or did you actually change from the two-tone tubo twists? This has been an exciting project to watch. I sincerely hope that it has met your expectations!!

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures with us during the build~Kenny
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Hi Macca
Yes I've found a couple of hard top roofs for sale on the internet, and spoke to a fellow Speedster owner who has one. The trouble is, you have to remove the canvas roof and frame, and bolt on the hardtop - so it aint a 10 min job, plus a storage and handling issue. This car is a Summer car, and will go into hibernation through the winter months. I have a couple of other cars as well, so not short of wheels!
Graham
Exactly. A hardtop for a Speedster is diametrically opposed to the Speedster experience IMHO. When my '55 was my only car, I drove it in the Bay Area all year round. If it rained, I just drove faster to force the water over the top of the windscreen ..... The only time I put the top up was when it was parked.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:03 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Originally Posted by smoothcab
Graham, Is the machine completed and do you plan a photo shoot? Were those wheels photoshopped on or did you actually change from the two-tone tubo twists? This has been an exciting project to watch. I sincerely hope that it has met your expectations!!

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures with us during the build~Kenny
The wheels were Photo-shopped in just to get the idea
They won't be available from Porsche until May (when the 911 Sport Classic is released) - tomorrow I'm going to try a set of 19" Carrera Sport wheels - (same size) to see if the WB arches can cope with 305/30x19 tires!
Graham
Old 03-23-2010, 01:59 PM
sonny1
Banned

So true, but you can't ignore the killer look on the hard top version.

Originally Posted by JPP
Exactly. A hardtop for a Speedster is diametrically opposed to the Speedster experience IMHO. When my '55 was my only car, I drove it in the Bay Area all year round. If it rained, I just drove faster to force the water over the top of the windscreen ..... The only time I put the top up was when it was parked.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about some interior shots, Colin? I'm dying to see what you did in there...
Old 03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Patience boys, patience!

We've had a bit of a setback this week because MC has hurt his back lifting his wife's 996 cabrio hardtop, so whilst he is at home suffering the boys in the paintshop have been busy fettling a couple of the panels to remove the odd minor blemish in the paint (some of which I could not even see!). Other than this we have seen no progress so there is nothing more to report.

With respect to the interior Noah, the new rear carpet piece arrived from the trimmer last week and this was due to be fitted this week along with a new set of floor mats, then it will be in with the newly trimmed & painted 993 plastic back seats. Oh, and the stereo has now been fitted and programmed.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

I just sold my Hard top to a guy in Kentucky. $1250.00 I think they are more for the conversion car. A car that doen't have the soft top and shell. That was going to be my solution for my back seats.
I think that top is too rigid for a flexible unibody car like the 964 speedster. Well.... may be just my race suspension.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dunavantent
I think that top is too rigid for a flexible unibody car like the 964 speedster. Well.... may be just my race suspension.
If you look back to when we did the widebody conversion on the jig you will find a comment about how we increased the torsional stiffness of the chassis by adding an additional longitudinal member under the turbo outer sill panel to tie up the gap between the already stiffer turbo sill & kidney bowl and the A-post. Yet to be proven obviously, however methinks that this car is not going to be as flexible as a 964 Speedster by quite a large margin.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm really liking the new Sport Classic wheels. They're a great update of the classic Fuch wheel.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 AM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

I think my Roll Bar really tighten things up. There is no jiggle when going over railroad tracks and there is no body flex under hard acceleration. I've owned plenty of cabs that flex all over the place. That said I would say my RSR suspension and roll bar help to give this car it's solid feel. But darnit at 6'3" I'm too close to the steering wheel. I had to remove the lower dash and install the Euro Knee pads.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\//\

PLEASE! More pics of this 964

Quick Reply: New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail