Engine Removed Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baby steps

Baby steps today...
  • removed oem dual mass fw/clutch. Holy crap that thing is a pig. I hope the new 1 has enough mass to keep the engine running at low rpms
  • removed the rear main seal (RMS). A bit of a PITA.
  • installed new RMS
  • installed lwfw
  • assembled throw-out bearing (I need to make sure I did this correctly, the diy shows 2 flat washers on the clutch side, my kit came with 3.)

here are some pics of the progress.

Bob-
Attached Images    
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Default Progress Today

With the help of MarkD I figured out the release bearing assembly. Thanks again Mark. Got some big items completed this evening.
  • clutch & pressure plate installed
  • installed new guide tube
  • installed fork shaft with new needle bearings
  • reattached the transmission

None of this work is difficult with the engine/transmission out of the car. Major kudos to Neil Sully and partner in crime Andreas for their excellent DIY on this subject. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to insert the fork shaft while the engine is in the car as discussed in the diy (this is done blind). All I can say is impressive work boys

Performing this work the 1st time is very intimidating. Now that it's done not so much.

Bob-
Attached Images     
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It looks like it is just about ready to go back in. What else are you planning on doing?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jhummel68
It looks like it is just about ready to go back in. What else are you planning on doing?
Yes, I am getting close. Here is what is left to do.
  • change transmission fluid
  • adjust speed reference sensor
  • torque all transmission bolts
  • gap and install spark plugs
  • clean engine
  • inspect/adjust all bolts, clamps and connections
  • install new motor mounts

If all goes acording to plan, I am hoping to reinstall the engine/tranny on Saturday.

Once the engine is in and all connections are made, I need to replenish all fluids (oil, power steering and brake). I plan to power flush the hydraulic system because the clutch slave shares the same hydraulics system as the brakes.

Is there is anything else that I need to do? All suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Bob-
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
gap and install spark plugs
Bob,
Very impressive!

If you are installing the standard Bosch plugs, I'm not sure you can really gap them - the multiple electrodes sort of prevent that...

Andreas
Old 08-13-2009, 11:22 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Bob,
Very impressive!

If you are installing the standard Bosch plugs, I'm not sure you can really gap them - the multiple electrodes sort of prevent that...

Andreas
Thanks Andreas!

I think they are Bosch. I was wondering about the gapping proceedure. Obviously I haven't gotten that far yet. It would not bother me one tiny bit if I did not have to gap the plugs

I think the real fun is about to begin

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 08-13-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been told that you shoulld never try to gap a platinum plug, as you will mess up thte tip (due to platinum's softness)... The VW guys gave me a different brand of plug for my Jetta and I re-gapped them before I called and asked... They gently "chastized" me and I bought a new set of plugs...

Not sure if this is correct... But, it is what I was just told about two months ago. I am sure there are others here who can verify??
Old 08-13-2009, 11:28 AM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bob,
Really nice work!
You probably have already done it, but if not I would suggest replacing the SAI valve, they don't last long.
Thanks for the great pics and commentary. I believe at this point Andreas is just looking for an excuse to drop his engine.
Neil
Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by nsully
I believe at this point Andreas is just looking for an excuse to drop his engine.
Correct.

Andreas
Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Michael S.
I've been told that you shoulld never try to gap a platinum plug, as you will mess up thte tip (due to platinum's softness)... The VW guys gave me a different brand of plug for my Jetta and I re-gapped them before I called and asked... They gently "chastized" me and I bought a new set of plugs...

Not sure if this is correct... But, it is what I was just told about two months ago. I am sure there are others here who can verify??

Great! One less thing to do. I will cross "plug gapping" off my list.

Bob-
Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nsully
Bob,
Really nice work!
You probably have already done it, but if not I would suggest replacing the SAI valve, they don't last long.
Thanks for the great pics and commentary. I believe at this point Andreas is just looking for an excuse to drop his engine.
Neil
Thanks Neil!

Your DIY and many others inspired me to do take on this project. Your tips about how to keep the flywheel from rotating in the removal process were extremely helpful. Great job.

Yea, all that grease, dirt, grime and carbon on his engine must be keeping him up at night

Bob-
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM
ard
Pro

Received 204 Likes on 111 Posts

With the help of MarkD I figured out the release bearing assembly. Thanks again Mark. Got some big items completed this evening.
  • clutch & pressure plate installed
  • installed new guide tube
  • installed fork shaft with new needle bearings
  • reattached the transmission

None of this work is difficult with the engine/transmission out of the car. Major kudos to Neil Sully and partner in crime Andreas for their excellent DIY on this subject. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to insert the fork shaft while the engine is in the car as discussed in the diy (this is done blind). All I can say is impressive work boys

Performing this work the 1st time is very intimidating. Now that it's done not so much.

Bob-
Can you please post a link to the DIY you are referring to? TIA
Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 PM
ard
Pro

Received 204 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes, I am getting close. Here is what is left to do.
  • change transmission fluid
  • adjust speed reference sensor
  • torque all transmission bolts
  • gap and install spark plugs
  • clean engine
  • inspect/adjust all bolts, clamps and connections
  • install new motor mounts

If all goes acording to plan, I am hoping to reinstall the engine/tranny on Saturday.

Once the engine is in and all connections are made, I need to replenish all fluids (oil, power steering and brake). I plan to power flush the hydraulic system because the clutch slave shares the same hydraulics system as the brakes.

Is there is anything else that I need to do? All suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Bob-
Can you please elaborate on the brake flush? Did you have to open up the brake hydraulic lines for the engine drop (I don't imagine you did and only disconnect the clutch slave cylinder)? I had been under the (possibly mistaken assumption) that if you do get air into the brake hydraulics and it makes its way into the ABS unit, you need to use the PST tool to cycle the ABS unit else you won't get all the air out while bleeding.

Nice work by the way
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ard
Can you please post a link to the DIY you are referring to? TIA
These are the two DIYs I used.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...d-install.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...p-and-lwf.html

Bob-
Old 08-13-2009, 01:42 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ard
Can you please elaborate on the brake flush? Did you have to open up the brake hydraulic lines for the engine drop (I don't imagine you did and only disconnect the clutch slave cylinder)? I had been under the (possibly mistaken assumption) that if you do get air into the brake hydraulics and it makes its way into the ABS unit, you need to use the PST tool to cycle the ABS unit else you won't get all the air out while bleeding.

Nice work by the way Thank you!
No I did not disconnect the brakes hydraulics.....yet. But I did disconnect the clutch slave cylinder. Since I have to reconnect the clutch slave and bleed the air out of it and the fact that the clutch slave shares the same hydraulic system as the brakes, it was recommended by others to flush the entire system. I have not done this yet. Just ordered the power flushing equipment, so I really can't report on the job. I'm not sure about teh ABS stuff. But the DIY that I read a while ago seemed pretty straight foward.

Maybe the experts could weight in on this subject?

Bob-

Quick Reply: Engine Removed Today