Sponsored by:

Engine Removed Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:22 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Boring no. Feeling inferior maybe but not bored.
Tim, If I can do this, anyone with basic mecahnical skills, decent tools and workspace can...

Thanks for the support!

Bob-
Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Bob,
Awesome write-up. Keep 'em comin'.

Andreas
Will do.

Thank you.

Bob-
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nollie
Are you kidding?! I love this thread, I'm getting excited for October so I can try the drop myself.
Thanks Nollie, This has actually been a pretty big deal for me. I think if I could just dedicate a significant block of time to bang it out.....

Bob-
Old 08-07-2009, 10:45 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993Porsche
+100 on that. Makes the morning cup of joe even more enjoyable.

Ken

Support appreciated!

Thanks Ken.

Bob-
Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Default I got the ISV cleaned today

A bit of a down day on the project. My goal is to get at least something accomplished every day.

I managed to get it ISV cleaned today. Pretty easy job. Total time ~30 minutes. THis is another one of those maintenance items that would be a PITA with the engine in the car.

You guys told me to clean this thing so I did.

This is a pretty bizarre valve. I have no clue how it works or what it does. Something about stabilizing the engine idle speed. Mine was full of all sorts of carbon crap.

Nice and clean now

Bob-
Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2009, 01:39 AM
helmet155
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob any comments on the wiring harness or connectors becoming brittle or chaffed?

It'd be good to watch out for the extra sensitive ones to add to the knowledge base...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:31 AM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

Bob,

Really great thread, thanks for taking the time and making the effort to take all the photos, great source of info.

Keep em coming..........if you don't mind

Thanks again

Ash
Old 08-08-2009, 09:48 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by helmet155
Bob any comments on the wiring harness or connectors becoming brittle or chaffed?

It'd be good to watch out for the extra sensitive ones to add to the knowledge base...

So far all the wires and connectors have been or at least appear to be in very good condition. However, I have not started putting things back together yet, so it might be too early to report on this issue. I will try to remember after assembly and report back.

Bob-
Old 08-08-2009, 10:11 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ASH.PALIN
Bob,

Really great thread, thanks for taking the time and making the effort to take all the photos, great source of info.

Keep em coming..........if you don't mind

Thanks again

Ash
Hi Ash, You are most welcome!

Posting here on RL actually helps me too. There a quite a few experts that follow this board very closely. A few of those experts ( professionals and non-pros) have been looking over my shoulder (or following my progress) and have provided much needed help and direction. A big thank you to all of you.

A second reason I post is because of the inspiration derived from folks like you. There is no doubt in my mind yanking the engine out of a 993 is a pretty big deal. At least the 1st time you do it. Sometimes I feel pretty alone in the shop and wonder if I am really messing up by doing this work myself. Then folks like you weigh with some positive support and all of the sudden I feel good and that I am doing the right thing. It's a pretty strange emotion.

It's pretty cool that there are folks all over the world following this thread. My wife does a fair amount of business in London/Lancing. I did one trip with her and really enjoyed London. We marvel at your mass transit system and little things like "mind the gap"

Bob-
Old 08-08-2009, 02:05 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Bob,
Truly outstanding. IMHO this is what RList needs more of.
Guys (and gals) who love their cars and love working on their cars.
Look at the responses. I'm sure you've inspired more than a few of us amateur wrenches to tackle a new 993 project.

RList is truly a wonderful site. Too bad you don't live in the NY area or I would be over to help you put it all backtogether. Not only would I be a second pair of hands for you, but I would learn soooo much myself!

If anyone in the NY area is doing a major 993 project, I could help for real cheap (a beer and pizza will suffice!)
If any of the moderators are following this thread, you should consider a help wanted section on RList where people can post looking for company/help/advice for whatever project they may be doing.

Looking forward to the completion photos!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
A bit of a down day on the project. My goal is to get at least something accomplished every day.

I managed to get it ISV cleaned today. Pretty easy job. Total time ~30 minutes. THis is another one of those maintenance items that would be a PITA with the engine in the car.

You guys told me to clean this thing so I did.

This is a pretty bizarre valve. I have no clue how it works or what it does. Something about stabilizing the engine idle speed. Mine was full of all sorts of carbon crap.

Nice and clean now

Bob-
I was thinking the same thing as I cleaned the gunk out of mine last weekend! No clue what's going on inside that valve!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:56 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by need a 993
Bob,
Truly outstanding. IMHO this is what RList needs more of.
Guys (and gals) who love their cars and love working on their cars.
Look at the responses. I'm sure you've inspired more than a few of us amateur wrenches to tackle a new 993 project.

RList is truly a wonderful site. Too bad you don't live in the NY area or I would be over to help you put it all backtogether. Not only would I be a second pair of hands for you, but I would learn soooo much myself!

If anyone in the NY area is doing a major 993 project, I could help for real cheap (a beer and pizza will suffice!)
If any of the moderators are following this thread, you should consider a help wanted section on RList where people can post looking for company/help/advice for whatever project they may be doing.

Looking forward to the completion photos!
Hi there fellow New Yorker!

Thanks for the kind words. I moved away from upstate NY about 25 years ago. I miss that "get it done" east coast attitude

Man this would go so much faster If I had a second pair of hands and someone to bounce ideas off of.

Bob-
Old 08-08-2009, 09:00 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cactus
I was thinking the same thing as I cleaned the gunk out of mine last weekend! No clue what's going on inside that valve!!!
I really wanted to take it apart and see what was inside and what make it tick, but way too many other tasks. Its some kind of cosmic gyro

Bob-
Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Default I did not get as much accomplished as I had hoped today :(

Today I managed to get the following done:
  • engine tin cleaned up and reinstalled, complete with all wire and grommets routed
  • installed cat and heat exchanger
  • cleaned and prepped lots of parts ready for reinstallation

It is amazing how well all the pieces and parts are engineered. It is a bit like putting a jigsaw puzzle together.

I was hoping to separate the engine and tranny today but ran out of gas

Here are some pics of the days progress

Bob-
Attached Images      
Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

Bob ,very methodical and well thought out..gotta love the self acquired DYI
manual!
really a lot of rennlisters and other BBs lurkers could learn a thing or two from
your progress and patience.
I know of what you speak when looking at the end of the tunnel and it seemingly keeps moving in the distance.
I've been working on an engine/trans swap on my '00 M5 since feb and only
recently determined the replacement needed internal work...geez, more time..
Good luck ,you appear to be making excellent headway,my first 911 eng RR
was 20 odd years back ,believe me I know they've gotten a lot more intricate
to say the least!!! Bert

Quick Reply: Engine Removed Today