Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.

Darn economy... I guess I'm just venting here because it's the 993 forum and my 993 is in peril right now. I was called into an emergency meeting at work with all the other sales rep from my cable company and we were told that they were eliminating all 245 sales people in the entire region! We thought we were safe but we weren't. They never fire the sales reps, just the managers. I've been the top sales rep at my company each year for the past 21 years, the largest cable company in the US. It seems like each year we get a new manager. Every 3 years they fire the marketing staff or they simply move on to other jobs outside the company and we get new marketing people. We have really stayed the course with many of us working there 15-20 years each. We were in shock - the recession had finally caught up to us. The first thing I thought of after "how am I going to pay the mortgage now" was ... "darn, am I going to have to finally sell the 993, at last"?

We were told we could interview for one of two "new" jobs... both of which paid about 1/3 of what I was making before. Neither of the jobs would really work for me. I wouldn't be able to make my modest mortgage payment on what they were offering in one of the salary plus commission plans they proposed, it was that low. Oh well, it was a great run with them over the years ... Last year was the best year of my life there. We should have guessed it would come to an end, soon. I am very grateful for the career and income they provided me in the past.

My wife's father has generously offered to help us a bit with some money (not really that much, about 1/2 our mortgage payment) till I get another, higher paying job that starts paying out. There is one caveat... you're going to love this, that I don't drive the 911 while he's giving us this money. He said he doesn't want us to incur any maintenance expenses on this luxury car while he's helping us. He's a PHD at NIH for the past 50 years in cancer research and drives a Camry. He's not into cars ... at all. At first I thought that was pretty controlling (well, it kind of is) but I decided to go along with it for now. I'm assuming I'd need to drive it for at least 10 minutes (according to another Rennlister I talked to last night on the phone) every 2 months or so to keep the car in acceptible shape. I'm certainly not planning on removing the fluids and putting it on blocks, or however that works. That's too extreme for me. I'm guessing he'll ok this situation (the at least driving it for the 10 minutes part).

So... anyone have any swell career advice for a seasoned sales professional in the Rockville, MD. area? Are decent companies really still hiring out there? I'm a little embarrassed to ask here, but if anyone has any job ideas, tips or other sage advice, feel free to PM me! I looked on monster.com for my area but there's not much there at all. A bunch of insurance companies (that would seemingly take a very long time to earn any money at once started), a retail tile shop, an HR recruiting firm (which I did send a resume to but didn't hear back from), some software companies with technical requirements I don't have, and ... Terminex. Nice, huh?

Kind of wish we didn't move into a newer house last year from our paid off older home, but that's water under the bridge. We love the newer house and ... hope to keep it. We cancelled all our upcoming vacations this year, plan on eating at home ALOT more, and will definitely not be buying anything at all unless it's absolutely needed. It's only been a week but I find I'm spending more time hanging out with my wife here at the house, which is a good thing.

I've been imagining life without my 993 lately. After the suspension upgrade last year I questioned it's new handling characteristics but I learned to love it again in time. I'm kind of surprised that my lovely wife hasn't hounded me to sell the car now that she feels we are royally screwed, money-wise for a while. Luckily, she's only mentioned it a few times, but it's only been after I questioned a purchase of hers, whether she really needed it or not. I know now to just shut up and let her get what she wants within reason as I don't want to get into the "maybe you should just sell your car" argument again.

Thanks for letting me publicly vent. Can you imagine how you'd feel if your wife didn't work and you were fired today? You're the only breadwinner, your savings are only for about 6-9 months so you certainly don't want to go through all that, and... keeping your 993 may be in jeopardy? Yep, that's a big ouch. Yeah, in the end, it's just a car. I'll miss it, but I'll get over it if it has to go bye bye.

Ok, I lied. I'll probably cry as it leaves my garage for that last time in someone else's hands!

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 03-26-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM
vicrossi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep your head up Steve, these bad times are only temporary. Remember there are a lot of people that have tons of money but not their health ( Steve Jobs). Things could certainly be worse. You and your wife will be in my prayers.
Vic
Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hang in there buddy. I am glad you are going to be able to keep that sweet car. We'll keep you entertained while your car is mothballed. Something good will come your way soon!

dave
Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
TargaTango
Racer

Steve, I am very sorry to read your story and I am sorry I cannot help in any tangible way. As Vic says health is very important, and there is another thing. It sounds like you have a great wife and a good father-in-law. To me, the most important thing in my life is my relationships and of course the closest are with my family. That is the greatest treasure. The material things I love the most are my hi-fi, apartment and 993. But I would gladly give them up if it came down to helping my wife, daughter or sister. I know these are just words and I am not in your most difficult situation, but remember, if it comes to it and you have to give up your 993 you can always get another later on. But you cannot get another great life companion so easily.

My very best to you and your good wife and you will be in my prayers also.

PS There is an old Polish saying: There is nothing bad which does not turn out to be good. I hope that this will be true for good people like you and your wife.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:59 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Hang in there Steve, something will pop up.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Sad to hear Steve. Must have been like getting run over by a truck at first. After 20+ years with the same employer, I can only imagine how you feel. Hopefully this period will be short lived and you'll be able to look back at it as more of a break or extended vacation. All the best.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Steve, I'm not sure of your background or income requirements, but have you tried looking at FINRA?

Its the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and from what I hear, the pay is not top notch, but the benefits are good, bonuses are regular, and job security is high.

they have an office in rockville and DC.

good luck.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM
marret
Instructor

Steve, sorry to hear the bad news. Hope it works out in the end and you come out of it in a better situation. Wish you all the best.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck to you Steve. I went through a tough patch some years ago, sold my 993, thing got better and then I bought my current car. Things do work out but you have to network like hell and stay very positive. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:22 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Take a look at craigslist, maybe just something to do in the short run...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/sls/
Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Steve. Can you rent out your apartment above your garage?
Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 PM
samsnead
Pro

Sorry to hear about your situation.

We've been working on a fairly large deal in Baltimore and havent been thrilled with our local rep.

If something opens up I will pass on the opportunity.

Hang in there!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks alot, guys. I almost forgot, I do have my health, and it happens to be mostly excellent at 48 years old. I am blessed with that, a good wife, good friends and family, and minus this job now, a great life! As people sometimes say... "It's not cancer..."

Targa Tango... I like your old Polish expression "There is nothing bad which does not turn out to be good." It's kind of like what a friend of mine always says - "How do I know this a bad thing?" He's a guy that had Hepatitis C, was sick for 7 years with it, ended up getting cancer, was moved up the list to get a new liver due to the cancer, and the new liver saved his life. The cancer went into remission shortly after the liver transplant. What seemed like a bad thing, getting cancer, turned out to be the thing that saved his life. He just unfortunately had a heart attack 2 days ago and is in the hospital, but he came out of surgery today and is supposed to be doing ok. He also used to own a business and had lots of money. He was miserable for all those years. Now he's lost it all, including his wife of 27 years but is happier than he's ever been with owning nothing. He lives in the basement of a friend's house. I'm sure he'll be laughing as usual when he gets out of the hospital.

Originally Posted by doberdog
Sorry to hear about this Steve. Can you rent out your apartment above your garage?
We've thought of this and debated it for that last 24 hours. It unfortunately doesn't have a kitchenette in it and it would cost $2k-$2500 to put one in. We could only rent it for $650-1000 mo., we're not really sure, so we don't feel it would be worth it at this point. Just our luck, the renter would burn down the place or ruin it in one way or another. Or they wouldn't pay rent after a while and we'd have to spend 2 aggravating months evicting them. It would be a last resort situation, but a possibility. Thanks for the feedback.

Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 03-26-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Steve...keep your head up...Nothing like friends and family at a time like this... Good luck

Mike
Old 03-25-2009, 10:48 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Steve. Hang in there. Things will turn for the better for you.

Quick Reply: Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.