Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Hang in there Steve. Been there myself and its NOT fun. There is always better around the corner for sure, as cliche as it may sounds, it is true. It is interesting that UserA has an IP telephony company, its a growing business segment for sure and hopefully you guys will work together and this will be indeed a very cool story to tell on Rennlist. At my hotel we went 100% on IP telephony with the advantages it offers.
As for the "offer" from the father in law... yeah not cool...
Old 03-26-2009, 10:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Steve,
We've known each other for a number of years and have enjoyed some nice drives & DIYs as a result of our affiliation with Rennlist and the almighty 993.

I'm sorry to read of your termination but have faith that you'll do well in short order. As for your father in law's perception regarding the 993 - why not consider trading the RL in for a simple Civic or Mazda3, etc.? The RL is by far the most expensive car in your stable, no? The 993 is something special....

Just a thought.

2005:

2008:

Andreas
Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even with the market a bit low on "some" 993's , I would sell it off, if your in a position to. You can ALWAYS get another. Dump what you don't need, and replace when you can. Got to have a home and food, its not worth it in my mind to run through the savings just to keep the 993 in the garage. Buy a cheap car for cash with any portion of the profit made.

jason
Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT

Get up your normal time in the morning, keep yourself physically in shape or get back in shape as part of your new routine and try and do all your job research in the morning because by afternoon you may not feel like it. LinkedIn is a great resource to see where people you know are working and where people these people know are working. I would check out where my contacts on LinkedIn were working and then check out the company website to see if there were any jobs I was interested in then try and reach out to a specific person. I think it is a lot about who you know these days. I personally think having more then 1 recruiter is a waste of time. I had 1 guy who got me a couple interviews that I trusted and knew was actually putting in the effort to help find me something. Also check out the site www.indeed.com for job postings. I think it is easier to use, more concise and gives better updates. I personally stayed away from Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com because you will get a lot of BS recruiter calls if you post your resume on there. People mention TheLadders.com on here but I checked it out and didn't think it was that great. You can find plenty of $100k+ jobs using the other tools I mention above especially in the area we live in. Oh and don't be surprised when you don't hear back from a company right away. I have received 2 phones calls this week alone requesting me to come in for an interview for jobs I applied for back in December. Ofcourse it felt good to tell them I already had something

I think starting in 2Q some hiring will pick up in general so I wish you the best of luck.

Amen.
I just got back from the gym and even though I hate working out and have been pretty lethargic since this happened, it always feels good when my work-out is done.

I'll check out LinkedIn.com and Indeed.com. I had never heard of that last one. They're saying I'm not fired, but simply that my position is eliminated. If I don't take one of the 2 jobs they're offering in it's place, they'll say I resigned, so either way I get no severence package. Pretty smart on their end. We do have a reserve that will last at least 6-9 months but that's all the savings we really have other than 401k, so we can't go into it much at all. From all this information I'm getting from you gents, my bleak outlook is starting to seem a little rosier.

Andreas: Great idea to sell the RL but it's my wife's car and is truly off limits. She "needs" an all wheel drive for the winter and, well, it's untouchable. She loves that car and I wouldn't ever take it away from her unless it was a last resort. The 993 is merely a 2nd luxury car in her eyes, and totally unnecessary. She'd be right in that respect, which is why I'll be working damn hard to find a higher paying job like the one I had till just last week, so I can keep it.

I'm much more confident that something will break soon, in the next 3-4 months, and this will hopefully be a dim memory next year that I'll merely smile about in retrospect. As far as the parting words I tell my company on my last day? I'll probably just say "Thanks for everything you've done for me these past 21 years". If it wasn't for that job, even though it turned out bad in the very end, I wouldn't have my 993 and the new house.

Pewter82: Luckily it hasn't come down to "home and food" yet, so selling the 993 won't happen for a while, if ever. I do have a 4 door, daily driver so I won't need to buy that cheap car you suggested.

Originally Posted by DJF1
It is interesting that UserA has an IP telephony company, its a growing business segment for sure and hopefully you guys will work together and this will be indeed a very cool story to tell on Rennlist. At my hotel we went 100% on IP telephony with the advantages it offers.
As for the "offer" from the father in law... yeah not cool...
Good to hear a big thumbs up about IP telephony.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve
First visit to the "list" in a while and this is the first thing I see......really sorry to hear your situation. I am in Biotech so cant help you a lot re sales jobs but there are several good websites that list local jobs....somebody I know that was looking for exec admin jobs said Career Builder was easy to use and listed everything local that she knew about......the other option is a good head hunter.

I hope you are not out of circulation too long, good luck

David
Old 03-26-2009, 12:06 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
... They're saying I'm not fired, but simply that my position is eliminated. If I don't take one of the 2 jobs they're offering in it's place, they'll say I resigned, so either way I get no severence package. Pretty smart on their end. W...

Sorry about the job. I would seek some independent professional advice (legal) about that little trick. I could see you being forced to take another position at the same wage but not at reduced wages. Hey, why don't all of these companies just offer janitorial jobs to all their employees and save themselves a whole pile of severance $$$? Seems more than questionable to me IMHO.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve:

Sorry about your job. I haven't read all the posts above, but I would assume you've built up a ton of good will with a whole bunch of customers and other people. You are obviously tech savvy, so you might want to think of a product(s) or service(s) that these people could use, and then become the rep for that. Your foot's already in the door in all these places; and they're your real employers.

...seek some independent ...(legal) advise... Matt777
There are attorneys out there who specialize in employee / employer relations, and you could ask your family attorney for a referral to one in your area. In some jurisdictions, what your employer is doing may amount to a "constructive termination." In any event, you want to make sure the package you are getting is appropriate for your circumstances. A half hour consult wouldn't cost much. Go in with a brief summary of what you did, your background, years of employment, and remuneration summaries.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
My wife would hate it if I chose driving my 993 over taking this money from her dad, but your point is well taken. I thought it was a weak argument when I first heard it, this "strings attached gift". I haven't had any strings attached with parents since I was 17! Your company looks very interesting. I'm PM'ing you my resume.

Regards,
Steve

Tell your wife to take the money then...it is HER father, not yours. I would sell the house and divorce the wife before I let either of them force or coerce me into this deal. Want to be emasculated - this is the way to do it.

Good luck with the job offers.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Oh, Steve, that sucks, I'm sorry to hear!

Since you are in sales, can't you sell anything? Maybe find a high end Auto dealer? I know some guys out here make over $200k a year selling cars.

We were thinking about selling & moving into Seattle, smaller house, much more $$. But didn't, now we are going to refinance the house, & save $200 a month in payments.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Steve-

Never met you face to face but I feel like I know you after all these years here on RL.

This thread is full of great advice about attitude, where to look for new jobs and keeping your hopes up during a difficult time, so I can't add anything there. The only thing I can say to you is that one day (hopefully soon) you'll be able to look back on this thread and thing "Man, that was a bad day" and walk away from your computer with a smile on your face knowing that your situation has been restored.

As for the "gift" from your father-in-law, there is no way in hell you should take it. It is no secret that your wife has been on your case for the last 5 years about the 993 despite your enviable travel schedule, nice watches and upgrade of homes (which I believe was brought on by the desire to make things easier for your stepdaughter to live between two homes) and you have done a good job at defending your 993 ownership to her at times. However, by accepting the money from her father, you'll essentially be outnumbered now that he'll have a say in your family finances. You are too old and have provided too well for your family to be treated like you have some "car addiction".

Good luck to you!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:39 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exactly...only take their money if you want it to end your relationship with them both...or your own sense of self-worth.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Steve, sorry to hear your news. I've been there before, too. Hope you land on your feet soon.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car thing makes me upset the more I think about this deal. I understand to most people a car is some kind of device to get from A to B, but there are those who enjoy certain things. To give up something you enjoy for no good reason is a bit messed up. So you lost your job. But you don't also want to lose something you enjoy. Too much of a double whammy.

BTW watch last nights South Park episode for their take on the economy, at least you can laugh about it. =)
Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Sorry about the job. I would seek some independent professional advice (legal) about that little trick. I could see you being forced to take another position at the same wage but not at reduced wages. Hey, why don't all of these companies just offer janitorial jobs to all their employees and save themselves a whole pile of severance $$$? Seems more than questionable to me IMHO.
Unless it's part of one of a rare "employment agreement," I don't think any employer has any legal obligation for severance pay.

Steve (and others)

I'd be careful before going to war with any family member. That includes in-laws. You can't pick 'em, those of us that said "I do" need to just make the best of it.

Steve, I bet I could make serious headway talking your wife out of her soul-less Honda. To her, it can only be just a car, but your 993 is your life, your love. Doesn't she see all the time, money and effort you put into it, especially recently? As objective as I can be, there should be no comparison to even a neutral observer. It's a frikkin' Honda, an appliance, a commodity, easily replaceable...still made!! "better" every year. Tell her you'll get her a new one with less miles once this all passes.

BTW- For 18 years, we got around DC just fine with studded snow tires on RWD Fords.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree, you don't "go to war" without reason. But standing up for yourself when someone is trying to take advantage of you and exert control over you is another thing altogether...especially if your spouse is, at the very least, supporting her father in this. At the very worst, she could have given her father the idea because she hates the 993.

Saying "I Do" doesn't mean you let yourself be walked on. Respect and relationships are two way streets....when it stops going both ways, the relationship is over. If your family is not going to respect you, then it becomes even more important that you respect yourself because if you stop, where does that leave you?

Quick Reply: Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.