Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:51 PM
droy3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Sorry about the job. I would seek some independent professional advice (legal) about that little trick. I could see you being forced to take another position at the same wage but not at reduced wages. Hey, why don't all of these companies just offer janitorial jobs to all their employees and save themselves a whole pile of severance $$$? Seems more than questionable to me IMHO.
Agreed. I think that companies are betting on people walking with the impression that a weak economy allows them to by-pass legal recourse. I'd invest a couple of hundred on a good labor lawyer who can confirm this outcome before accepting it. Just my two cents...and best of luck with the search. My position may also be in peril, given that I deal primarily with municipal governments in California so I do feel for you. The good news is that you've been performing at a high level for decades and the skills you've developed are ideal for finding another position. Often, as is the case in life you may find yourself in a better position after this period.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Umm, you want Steve to imitate the opening scene? Hmm.

Andreas
Originally Posted by AOW162435
Umm, you want Steve to imitate the opening scene? Hmm.

Andreas
I think the opening scene is the daughter and her boyfriend conversing with a video camera???? I wasnt refering to the twisted fantasy side of the movie.

My point was dont let people walk over you--not friends, family, or anyone in general.

Im sorry but I just cant comprehend a father in law telling someone who is 48 years old that he is not allowed to drive his own car. That is seriously, and I mean seriously, f'cked up. In a matter of a hours after losing your job, it just seems werid that a father in law has already stepped in offering to help but the catch is you need to park your car. Thats not even enough time to sit down and discuss it with your wife and father in law is already up in your business. That is f'cked up in my opinon. No one gets in my business at that level or anywhere close.

With the turn of events, a controlling father in a law, an unhappy wife because a car, ect ect. GET RID OF THE CAR!!! You will be just as miserable with it as without it so whats the difference? Damned if you, nif you dont.

I would have 2nd thoughts about not taking the offered position. Its a job and something is better than nothing until you find a better job.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I think the opening scene is the daughter and her boyfriend conversing with a video camera???? I wasnt refering to the twisted fantasy side of the movie.
I thought the opening scene was Kevin Spacey in a shower....

I was trying to make a stupid funny!

Andreas
Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
blackcat
Racer

good luck with everything Steve - hope you can work out some way to keep the car.

Pete
Sun Microsystems Alumni, class of 2006 (hey I made it through 5 years of layoffs!)
Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Tell your wife to take the money then...it is HER father, not yours. I would sell the house and divorce the wife before I let either of them force or coerce me into this deal. Want to be emasculated - this is the way to do it.
She went to her father yesterday and told him that she found out that Geico only charges about $200 less per year if I didn't drive the darn car so he said forget it, just go ahead and drive it then, and you'll still get the money.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Good news.

Sorry if I sound like I am against your wife and your FIL......but I guess I am.

Reading your posts over the past few years has made me realize that you are a really nice guy that goes out of your way to spoil your family...and I wonder who is spoiling you? I don't mean to seem like I am out to get them but I am certainly going to be honest and be an advocate for you...especially when the evidence you present is so damning.

Keep the car - tell the FIL to mind his own business - tell your wife to get a job - and keep on being a nice guy.....these things are not mutually exclusive.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just came off of a two-month "forced vacation", my first ever. It was definitely stressful especially when you hear news every day about how terrible the economy is, unemployment etc. Though I didn't enjoy the experience overall, there were good parts, like having time to catch up on house work, car maint, taking my daughter on field trips, etc. Like others said, you'll find something, though it is hard to go without knowing when.

RE: not getting terminated. That is real BS. Even if you didn't care about the severance, they are f'ing you out of being able to get on unemployment and that is not right. Unemployment covered my mortgage so it wasn't just a few $, it was real $ and a huge help. Maybe you can talk to an employment lawyer about that and then go back to HR.

Anyway, good luck with everything.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

So... I talked to a lawyer today about my/our situation at work. He said it would be a real tough case to sue the company like this. I'm sure they have their bases covered or they wouldn't have rolled this "Elimination of our positions" in just this way.

In any case, I'm interviewing tomorrow for a new job with my company so I should at least have some money coming in, although a small amount. My wife cannot work so that's out of the question. She has to take my mother in law out 3-4 times a week for doctor appts, shopping trips to the grocery and dept store. My mother in law has no other way to get around, she's got severe medical problems, so my wife is essentially a caregiver. They end up paying for all our groceries while she's out with her and some clothes and CVS pharmacy stuff here and there, so that's really appreciated. Next to that, my wife has her own medical issues that prevent her from working much (really bad irritable bowel syndrome).

I am so utterly burnt from this process already and it's just started. It's good advice to only spend a few hours a day on it and take off in the afternoon to fix stuff around the house, do the yard, detail my lovely car, volunteer, etc. I took time out to see the movie Duplicity in the middle of the day today. It was a great mental break for me.

Steve
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyN
they are f'ing you out of being able to get on unemployment and that is not right. Unemployment covered my mortgage so it wasn't just a few $, it was real $ and a huge help. Maybe you can talk to an employment lawyer about that and then go back to HR
+1 That's what I forgot to mention: screwing you out of unemployment seems to one of the worst short-term issues here.

I'm glad your car is off the bargaining table.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As an accountant I am required to review not only severances but legal accruals for my clients. You guys would be amazed how often companies settle HR related matters (even frivolous ones, not that yours would be). Boy do I have some wild stories. Hang in there and good luck in the job search!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:49 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your plight. I am in the home-building business and job losses in our industry is tops amongst all lay-offs. What an inglorious title to hold. In any case, we feel your pain. I am lucky that my job is safe as long as the boss stays in business. Unfortunately I know many, and I mean many, in my field suffering badly through these times right now.

Best wishes for a successful interview on Friday. Hope your next posts bears better news.

CP
Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
My wife would hate it if I chose driving my 993 over taking this money from her dad, but your point is well taken. I thought it was a weak argument when I first heard it, this "strings attached gift". I haven't had any strings attached with parents since I was 17! Your company looks very interesting. I'm PM'ing you my resume.

Regards,
Steve
+1 for the IP Telephony side of the world. New technologies (SIP, etc) will mean that carriers will be relegated to the "dumb pipe" world, and the enterprise will by providing their own custom feature set to their user community...it's gonna be fun

('course, I'm biased!)
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Steve, you said your company is eliminating 245 sales people.

Not sure if this applies but its worth the time to take a look:

http://www.doleta.gov/programs/factsht/warn.htm
Old 03-26-2009, 10:57 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Steve,
Very sorry to hear your news. You've gotten plenty of advice so far and it sounds like you are in reasonably good shape near term. Take a week or two if you can to get your head in the right spot so you are ready to sell yourself during the search process. You've got a great track record and there are jobs out there. Just tougher to find right now but you've got skills people need.

There are some roles in the healthcare world I would be looking at your background for. Many of the large health systems in your region will have outreach programs based out of the strategic planning or physician relations department. These are basically roles focussed on developing relationships with outlying hospitals and physicians to grow referral volumes. They may also have large ancillary programs like lab and radiology that they sell outside the hospital. They will usually have a more traditional sales and client relations program that you would add a lot to as most hospitals don't do it well. PM me if you want more info on what we do. You've got a number of large health systems in your area so it might be something to check out. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Next to that, my wife has her own medical issues that prevent her from working much (really bad irritable bowel syndrome).
I know we are all one big happy family here on Rennlist but some things I just don't need to know

Quick Reply: Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.