Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:49 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Darn Steve, so sorry to hear this news

You will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:51 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

You are highly employable (SP?)

Good sales people will never starve. Reading your story and giving it a little thought, I would immediately go to Verizon and explain to them why they need a Professional Salesman such as yourself to sell Fios (who better than someone from the competition to sell a new competitive product).

Spend $20 go buy Larry Winget's book titled "It's called work for a reason". Read the book, you will be empowered by your situation. Then walk into Verizon like you own the place.

All the Best,

Steve
Old 03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn that really sucks. Tough times right now for everyone. Things are on the upswing, but short reality in situations like yours is difficult. It will get better for you. Good sales people are always needed. Only things that are doing well that I can see are healthcare. Sales folks there seem to be doing just fine. While this country does not have any discrimination issues, it seems that many healthcare companies though use fresher faces lets say. Be careful on the HR recruiting firm. I have 15 years in that industry (on the software provider side). Many companies just troll for resumes, and others want you to pay.....
Old 03-25-2009, 10:58 PM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really sorry to hear about the loss of the job. It's hard to believe that such reliable performers are getting tossed out but it seems to be a sign of the times. Keep your chin up, things will work out. Be thankful for health and family (but tell FIL the car needs more time on the road).
Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 PM
TX Silver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the situation. Something will come along though.

Frank
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Steve, I'm not sure of your background or income requirements, but have you tried looking at FINRA?

Its the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and from what I hear, the pay is not top notch, but the benefits are good, bonuses are regular, and job security is high.

they have an office in rockville and DC.

good luck.
I will look into this. Thanks!

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Take a look at craigslist, maybe just something to do in the short run...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/sls/
Good call, Tony. I just looked at your link. Lots of short term stuff in there that might even lead to long term. Thank you.

Originally Posted by jainbaby
Steve,

Good sales people will never starve. Reading your story and giving it a little thought, I would immediately go to Verizon and explain to them why they need a Professional Salesman such as yourself to sell Fios (who better than someone from the competition to sell a new competitive product).

Spend $20 go buy Larry Winget's book titled "It's called work for a reason". Read the book, you will be empowered by your situation. Then walk into Verizon like you own the place.

Steve
I will put this book on my short list. No novels for me for a while... time to concentrate on pure sales stuff! Great stuff, guys. I have my work cut out for me now.

Originally Posted by viperbob
Be careful on the HR recruiting firm. I have 15 years in that industry (on the software provider side). Many companies just troll for resumes, and others want you to pay.....
Thanks ViperBob... I will keep this in mind concerning recruiting firms. You guys are filled with great information.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 03-26-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:14 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Steve,

Don't stress, get rolling on unemployment and start looking for a new gig. I've been looking for a few months now (high tech sales) and I can attest there are a ton of available sales positions out there at least in my field. Just be as patient as you can be and wait for the right fit.

My tips...
1) Check out this site, http://www.theladders.com/ (good not great) but worth the $30.

2) Get your resume to all recruiters in the area. (Feel free to email me if you would like to check mine out for reference) daltvater@gmail.com

3) Don't blindly email a resume, call the VP of Sales every single time. When you get the interview be prepared with a 30.60.90 plan. (I have some great templates for those as well)

Think of this as a good thing!

Dan
Old 03-25-2009, 11:15 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Steve-
Some thoughts to remember: One door closes, another opens. Life's a journey...Enjoy the ride. Practice your breathing and pace yourself. Having been through many years of sales & marketing, riding the ups and downs, through economic downturns and recessions, I have every confidence in you. Just YOU have confidence in you!
All the best,
Stan
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang Steve, that really sucks. Best of luck and stay positive something will come your way.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I went through a big layoff in the last downturn and I thought it was the end of my world as I knew it. I lost a few material things, but eventually I got a better job for better money and benfits and replaced all that stuff with better stuff. Things happen for a reason. As my grandma used to say "Enjoy the good times, 'cause they don't last long, and don't worry too much about the bad times, 'cause they don't last long either"....
Take care,
JP
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,

Sorry to hear what happened. Everything in life cycles. I first met you on Time Zone and it was you who told me about Rennlist before I bought my 993. Although we have never really met in person I know from reading your posts for years that you are a solid guy.

Given the opportunity I would hire you in a second and I am confident you will land safely on your feet. I hope they gave you a decent severance.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:34 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve-I'm really sorry to hear this. I know it's tough. Been there. Sucks big time.

But you are right! You have your health, a loving wife and someone offering assistance. Keep a positive attitude. It'll get better.

chuck
Old 03-25-2009, 11:37 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Steve...just thinking out ah loud here. One of my nieces who lives in the Kentlands, just went out on long term maternity leave. On a part time basis she went back to her old job that she did while in college - bar tending at the RIO. She can easily afford a 993 if she did or wanted to do it full time....so think outside the box.....talk to everyone you know etc...
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Steve,

Sorry to hear what happened. Everything in life cycles. I first met you on Time Zone and it was you who told me about Rennlist before I bought my 993. Although we have never really met in person I know from reading your posts for years that you are a solid guy.

Given the opportunity I would hire you in a second and I am confident you will land safely on your feet. I hope they gave you a decent severance.
This is great to hear. Your vote of confidences has me riding on a temporary high right now.

Originally Posted by daltvater
Steve,

Don't stress, get rolling on unemployment and start looking for a new gig. I've been looking for a few months now (high tech sales) and I can attest there are a ton of available sales positions out there at least in my field. Just be as patient as you can be and wait for the right fit.

My tips...
1) Check out this site, http://www.theladders.com/ (good not great) but worth the $30.

2) Get your resume to all recruiters in the area. (Feel free to email me if you would like to check mine out for reference) daltvater@gmail.com

3) Don't blindly email a resume, call the VP of Sales every single time. When you get the interview be prepared with a 30.60.90 plan. (I have some great templates for those as well)

Think of this as a good thing!

Dan
I won't be unemployed, as I'll take one of the two jobs they offer me for now...

I'll email you tonight about that resume information though. Thanks!

Originally Posted by JPP
Sorry to hear this. I went through a big layoff in the last downturn and I thought it was the end of my world as I knew it. I lost a few material things, but eventually I got a better job for better money and benfits and replaced all that stuff with better stuff. Things happen for a reason. As my grandma used to say "Enjoy the good times, 'cause they don't last long, and don't worry too much about the bad times, 'cause they don't last long either"....
Take care,
JP
I hope my tale ends similar to yours!
Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Steve...just thinking out ah loud here. One of my nieces who lives in the Kentlands, just went out on long term maternity leave. On a part time basis she went back to her old job that she did while in college - bar tending at the RIO. She can easily afford a 993 if she did or wanted to do it full time....so think outside the box.....talk to everyone you know etc...
Good advice, Tony. I will definitely be thinking outside my tiny sales box, then. I live in Kentlands too!

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 03-26-2009 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

^ I meant to say Kingsfarm, always mix up the K's

Quick Reply: Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.