Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This too shall come to pass...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:25 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your job.

Im a grown man and would never let a father-in-law say what I can and cant do with my life. Dont take this the wrong way but dont become his bitch. Your 48, not 14---your a grown man.

Your car seems like the center of pain with your wife and now other family members. Get rid of it and guess what, Im sure there are still problems. A 35k car cant be the root of the problem that is causing so much agravation in the family.

Go rent American Beauty and become that man Steve!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyZaJ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNq_W...eature=related

***Just stay away from your daughters friend!!

Last edited by 95 C4 993; 03-26-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:27 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Unless it's part of one of a rare "employment agreement," I don't think any employer has any legal obligation for severance pay.
I'd check the state labor laws and civil precedents. Surely there is some state regulated minimum severance at minimum. It would be 8 weeks pay around here. The last time I checked, for dismissal without cause, civil settlements were running about a month per year of employment. It's worth checking out if he's been there 20 years.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear the economy claims another. I've been out since late October, and living lean is no fun, but certainly doable. Fortunately, this shall be a temporary situation in both our cases.

Now, for the car: I would think driving up to an interview in a 993 connotes a certain degree of success to the potential employer. A minor point, perhaps, but for a sales position especially, that's got to be a good thing.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Sorry to hear about your job.

Im a grown man and would never let a father-in-law said what I can and cant do with my life. Dont take this the wrong way but dont become his bitch. Your 48, not 14---your a grown man.

Your car seems like the center of pain with your wife and now other family members. Get rid of it and guess what, Im sure there are still problems. A 35k car cant be the root of the problem that is causing so much agravation in the family.

***Just stay away from your daughters friend!!
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I'm glad he's helping you out - and if I were in your situation I would take his money too - but the whole dynamic has a bad feel to it. The simple fact that he is trying to exercise this sort of punitive control over you is troubling.

It's definitely dog food for him when he hits the nursing home !!!

At any rate, best of luck to you. I'm always skeptical of these places like monster.com, et al. - expecially in these times. So many electrons, your and everyone else's, bombarding the same place. There's no substitute for targeting the top prospects, walking in the door and trying to get to personally see somebody.

Something good will happen, and almost always when you least expect it!

Last edited by Bearclaw; 03-26-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
RutgersU
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One remedy for a reduced income would be to replace it with two incomes. It sounds as though your wife doesnt work. Time are tough and now would be the time for her to step up so that you can continue live the lifestyle you've both grown accustom to.

Owing a 993 may be unreasonable in certain situations but to be ragged on about it by someone that's not contributing to the household income is nuts.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
LanCat
Intermediate

I wouldn't presume to comment on the family issues but there was some really good advice from TYNUSKT that I hope you follow.

I lost my job at the end of last summer but was lucky enough to find a new role in January.

I honestly believe that having the discipline of a regular routine was critical to me staying focussed and employable.

My routine was...

Get up at a normal workday time. 6:30 for me. Every weekday.
Exercise for an hour (I'd been avoiding this for the last 10 years because of work, or so I conned myself). Not only did I feel fitter and lost weight I also felt much more lively.
The rest of the morning is dedicated looking for work. Agencies, websites, local companies, use your network of contacts, whatever it takes.
Fine tune that resume every day, you may have loads of experience and achievements that you have forgotten that can be a great advert for you if you can express them well. Get someone you respect to review it and give you feedback.
I used the afternoon for projects (cheap or free), could be something around the house/car/garden or helping in the local community or charity work. All of these helped me keep a sense of self worth and gave me something to tell potential employers what I had been doing. It shows gumption.

Spending 8 hours straight on a job search can be disheartening, I couldn't do it so the diversion was important but don't let it take over. You will have to expect both good days and bad days. Don't get too optimistic about the good days or too disheartened about the bad. You have to be easy going about it. Confidence is everything.

LinkedIn is an interesting one, some will use it to check up on your history, contacts and recommendations to see if it matches your resume. Kind of a pre-interview reference. So do make an effort there. Don't go over the top though.

Good luck and be strong.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:08 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Well THAT totally friggin' sucks!

If I were you...

a) If you are NOT going to drive the 993, then "store it" and take it off the insurance - which will save you $. And, not for nuffin', it will earn u brownie points with your controlling-father-in-law.

b) Use the fact that 'the next time I get to drive my 993 is when I'll be back working again' -- as a DRIVING FORCE (no pun intended) for you to get your *** in gear and go out and GET another job. That will be the metaphorical carrot in front of the donkey approach.

c) Don't lose hope. This is America, ferrrchrisssakes! (I can say this with gusto, being an immigrant, albeit US citizen...)

d) Always remember, you can 'vent' to us, the 993 guyz.

Cordially,
Gerry
Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks for letting me publicly vent. Can you imagine how you'd feel if your wife didn't work and you were fired today? You're the only breadwinner, your savings are only for about 6-9 months so you certainly don't want to go through all that, and... keeping your 993 may be in jeopardy? Yep, that's a big ouch. Yeah, in the end, it's just a car. I'll miss it, but I'll get over it if it has to go bye bye.

Ok, I lied. I'll probably cry as it leaves my garage for that last time in someone else's hands!

Steve,

I am very sorry to hear of your situation. You don't mention any children in the mix, so it could be worse. Have you and your wife considered you taking the lower paying job opportunity and your wife finding a job to make ends meet until things get better? It is not my place to say whether or not your father in law's disclaimer is fair. The good thing is that you have a choice whether to accept his offer or not. Whatever you choose I wish you the best. Also, you should not feel guilty that you have a beautiful 993 in the garage. You worked hard for 20 years to afford such a car.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I have nothing to offer, really, except to say that THIS forum works the way they all should - and demonstrates the power of the Internet to turn complete strangers into family.

To Steve, I offer all my hope and encouragement. You're 48, I'm 49...we know that life has a way of working out.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:24 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Lots of good advice in here regardless of one's situation. Just remember Steve, this is temporary.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:38 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Ugh! Sorry to hear.

This sucks....

Your FIL sounds like such an *** I would take the cash and drive the car anyway.

Last year was a (way) down year for me income wise and we burned through tons of savings. I totally feel where you're coming from in terms of wanting the additional liquidity. This year is not projecting any better...maybe even worse...

Not sure if you guys can do it, but two income family is the way to go these days.

My wife is a teacher. Not huge money, but benefits and pension are amazing and the job is totally stable.

Last edited by rome; 03-26-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Duckman
Racer

Steve, I don't know you but I know how it feels to lose your job through no fault of yours. Over the years it's happened to me three times. The first time was the hardest but all of them hurt. Intellectually, I accepted that it may take six months for me to find the correct next step on my career path, but I wasn't prepared emotionally for how long the three months it took seemed.

There has been lots of great advice from the forum members--some conflicting but all of it well intentioned. There are a couple of things to which I want to add my voice.

LanCat mentioned the importance of setting a normal routine that includes dedicated time for your job search. That's critical. After all, until you start working again, finding a job IS your job. I also like the idea of dedicating time each day to yourself and/or family. You have some extra time, so use it wisely.

The way I looked at it, the free time that I was enjoying was a little time borrowed from my retirement. Yes, in the end I'll have to work longer before retirement than I might have otherwise had to do but that's OK, too.

Somebody else mentioned that a good salesman can sell anything. I've been a salesman and sales manager in the past and I agree completely. You know you're a good salesman, as evidenced by your track record. Make a list of things you'd like to sell and the companies in your area that sell them. Then go sell those companies on the idea of hiring you. Go for it.

As for your 993, man, it's a car. I know you love it but, dude, it's a car. Park it or sell it. Don't let in run your life or ruin it. When your life is back on track, roll it out of storage or get another one.

Best of luck, Steve.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Umm, you want Steve to imitate the opening scene? Hmm.

Andreas
Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

What possible reason is there NOT to drive the car now?

Any argument for financial reasons would include selling it.

Drive it - you only live once. The car is nicer to you than your FIL anyway.

Quick Reply: Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.