Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^
Have to agree.

Little late to the party, but sorry to hear of your predicament. Maybe time to think outside the box, and try something new. You said you have 6-9 months of reserve, maybe you need to step back, take a deep breath and look inwards at what you want to do at your stage in life. Maybe another job just ends the same way.......maybe this is your sign, your time to flourish. Just a thought.

GL
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by DC from Cape Cod
Good news.

Sorry if I sound like I am against your wife and your FIL......but I guess I am.

Reading your posts over the past few years has made me realize that you are a really nice guy that goes out of your way to spoil your family...and I wonder who is spoiling you? I don't mean to seem like I am out to get them but I am certainly going to be honest and be an advocate for you...especially when the evidence you present is so damning.

Keep the car - tell the FIL to mind his own business - tell your wife to get a job - and keep on being a nice guy.....these things are not mutually exclusive.
His father in law offered him a loan out of the kindess of his heart, but didn't want Steve to spend money fixing a "luxury car".

Sounds quite reasonable to me.

If steve doesn't want to take the money and didn't need it, then there is no question about what he should do.

that said beggars (do not take this literally Steve) can't be choosers, and unless you have 14 other people/institutions willing to give you interest free loans, a silly car is pretty ridiculous to get a divorce over. Have a little perspective, its a piece of steel, plastic, and leather. There will ALWAYS be another...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Gifts from the "kindness of your heart" don't come with strings attached and with 9 months income in reserve he is hardly a beggar either. If I were so desperate that I would take money under such circumstances, I would sell the car instead. At 48, he is too old to be treated like a child.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happened to me 6 years ago - things work out, believe me.
Things look very dark for about 6 months, then seem to 'work out'.

Us humans are survivors and seem to find a way.
Good luck, and I am impressed by the huge response here - very, very kind.

Way to go nice Rennlisters.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Same thing happened to me 6 years ago - things work out, believe me.
Things look very dark for about 6 months, then seem to 'work out'.

Us humans are survivors and seem to find a way.
Good luck, and I am impressed by the huge response here - very, very kind.

Way to go nice Rennlisters.
I am beyond impressed as well, and very grateful to you all. I have gotten alot of excellent advice and plan to use it in the next couple of weeks/months. I mentioned to my friends tonight that I put a simple post on my Porsche Web Forum that I'm on alot about my situation and got an overwhelming amount of replies. They thought that was really cool. I had planned on passing on going to the Hershey Swap Meet this year after this happened but now I'm as excited as ever to be there that day. Hopefully it won't rain. Also planning on doing the NYC auto show again too in a week or so. Now if I can only stop waking up at 3am and obsessing till 7am about my life and finding a job.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 04-17-2009, 05:19 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve - anything to report?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for asking. I sent out about 30-40 resumes so far and have landed only 1 interview worth going to. I did well on the interview but didn't schedule another because the company is about 2 hours from my house in rush hour traffic and the sales territory is actually furthur away from that, into Richmond, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, DC while I live north of DC in Gaithersburg MD. It's way too far to commute to but it was good interview experience.

I also received a few call backs on my resume that I posted on various job sites but after researching the companies and jobs, I decided they weren't for me (not enough money or a job that would take about a year to make any money at all). I took the 9-5 job at work with my current company so at least we'll have some money coming in, though not even enough to pay our mortgage! It's about 25% of what I used to make. Pretty scary... The good news is our huge tax refund should be here in a week or so and my company stock just paid out yesterday, both checks should carry us for about 6 months in combination with my regular, small paycheck - what a blessing.

Met with a sales recruiter 2 days ago and he said that someone with my record (top sales rep for the last 20 years in a row and winner of almost every sales contest for that same length of time) is a recruiter's dream. He also said that he's not sure he has anything for me right now but that he'll keep in touch with me each week until something comes up. He said he's trying to find something that would match my previous years income to an extent. I told him that I didn't expect to match it and that I'm more than willing to take an interesting opportunity for less money if the potential down the road was there.

On a Porsche note, it was a lot of fun going to the NYC Auto Show this year again with my uncle last weekend. The Porsche area was great with more cars to sit in than usual. Even BMW and MB had most of their cars available to sit in. Last year many of them were locked. I was thinking of still going to Hershey in 2 weeks for the swap meet even though I might have to sell my 993 later this year if I can't find another high paying job. It would hurt a bit to see all those beautiful Porsches if I'm stuck selling mine, but that's down the road a bit and I should probably just try to live for today. My Uncle is going regardless and I know he'd like it if I came. He lives in York and has a Seal Grey Boxster "S" with brown interior. He loves that car but wants a Ferrari really badly. Probably for his 75th birthday he tells me.

Hope everyone else in my situation here is trying to still enjoy every day they can. Warren Buffett said the other day that all the 20 year olds out there have an amazing future to look forward to, that we're going to pull out of this situation we're in sometime soon and this country will once again be riding high. We can only hope he's right.

Peace,
Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 04-17-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for posting, Steve.
This'll have a happy ending!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:35 PM
helmet155
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How far are you from DC? My brother works for a company that is always looking to hire bright talent.

Send me your resume and I'll get it to him...

My email: my username at *** dot net
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by helmet155
How far are you from DC? My brother works for a company that is always looking to hire bright talent.

Send me your resume and I'll get it to him...

My email: my username at *** dot net
Thanks for the offer to pass on my information to your brother. I'll email you my resume tonight.

The 993 forum... "There is no substitute".
Old 04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

Steve-
Go to Hershey with your uncle. Don't put off doing something that will be fun, especially with a relative you care about. He'll appreciate it...and, in the future, you'll look back on it with good memories. Who knows...call it "networking"...you might meet someone who has an opportunity for you. Also, go for me. I'm just a little too far away to rationalize going.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Excellent point. Spending time with my Uncle is always a great time. I don't have parents and my only sibling is in Florida, so having him only 1:45 minutes from my house is great. He took this picture of me when we went last to Hershey (it was the 50th anniversary Parade weekend as well if I remember correctly).

If I hit it big with my next job, maybe I'll buy one of these...

You've helped me make up my mind - I'm emailing him right now that "we're on"!

And... wouldn't it be great to start a new job/career with a business that was Porsche related That would be very high on my list, though I'm guessing that Porsche and Porsche related businesses are probably hurting right now due to the economic downturn.

Yahoooo - Hershey, here I come!

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 04-19-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:14 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Steve,

I just noticed this thread. I know its hard to stay positive, but from history, every Job I lost, fired or quit was a blessing and allowed me to move to something better...ultimately my own company.

Have you thought ofstarting up something small, perhaps a cable company consulting company with little overhead , perhaps with a partner....just throwing some ideas on the table.

sam
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
Hey Steve,

I just noticed this thread. I know its hard to stay positive, but from history, every Job I lost, fired or quit was a blessing and allowed me to move to something better...ultimately my own company.

Have you thought ofstarting up something small, perhaps a cable company consulting company with little overhead , perhaps with a partner....just throwing some ideas on the table.

sam
I hadn't thought of this, Sam, but it's an idea that has potential. I'll mull over it for a bit and run it by another contact or two that I have from my present job.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:32 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

be positive, even with a dark scenario. (easy to say i know ..)

you are allowed to feel like crap a few days, but after that you need a positive actitude to get new challenges and overcome them ... sorry for my poor english .. !

Quick Reply: Bummer. Got eliminated today at work. Hope to keep my 993, but it's shaky.