Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Car Dealer is screwing me!

Old 10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Should Stealth have answered the Qs or said, "I can't answer that yet as I'm trying to get to a solution", rather than the taste he was leaving of dodging and being less than forthcoming, I like to think the responses would have been very different.
I agree. When you come to an internet BBS with a problem, and people take the time to give you advice and try to help you, you should be prepared to answer questions and be a good communicator. If you use a BBS as a means of venting and complaining and denoucing, and then simply ignore the legitimate inquiries of your interlocutors, then yes, those interlocutors are going to become skeptical of your story and your motivations. I'm with JPS.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Begin

Stealth...Telling RL guys here to go to hell...not really classy. You asked peeps' opinions, they offered up a ton of good advice, and you kept dodging all the core questions. By MOST people's standards, you were overpaying, and the math you were showing made it look like you were REALLY overpaying, AND a dealer was screwing you over. People you don't even know on this board were concerned and hoping to help you. You chose not to respond in most cases, dodge the questions in others, and withhold information (price & dealer). A) That is not in spirit of RL, wherein if a mistake is made somewhere or a bad character found, we share with others, and B) makes you look less than up front and calls your motive, character, and truthfullness into question.

In short (too late) you brought the biting side of RL yourself. I'm not going to comment on the price you paid...everyone has to factor in the options, the "right now" and the PITA factor of waiting and going further. If it works for you, great. I'm happy and I'm thrilled that you at least got the PPI, something you probably learned from posts on RL. Quit with the "go to hell" comments and 'tude and tune into RL for the great resource it is.

End
Lets let this die! However, I answered EVERY questions, except what I paid, & who I got it from. We were still in the process, really I don't like telling people what I paid, I got the car I WANTED, for the price I WANTED to pay. Telling me I got taken for to much $$ is not really helping in any way. This IS the best car for sale in my area, I did not want to go to the Midwest, or way down South.

Originally Posted by vjd3
I beg to differ ... I see this kind of thing on here from time to time, usually when it involves a dealership experience.

I got hoodwinked by a high-end German car dealership years ago, when the 911 list was email-based, I was leased a new car which I was told had been driven by a manager and had some gentle demo miles on it (it was the color combo I wanted), only to discover that in fact it had been sold to someone else, driven for 900 miles over several weeks and then returned to the dealership in an ugly dispute over a paint finish issue -- because the original owner had left a leather case with some of his business cards under the seat, which I found and I called him to return them. They just lied to me and sold it as new because the title work had never been completed. It was not about a 911, but I knew most of the people on the list were knowledgable and hoped to get some insight on how to best proceed.

Some people were very supportive and had good suggestions, and other folks jumped all over me, accused me of lying, even to the point where a few a--holes even called dealerships in that area of the country until they figured out which dealer it was. Two actually spoke to the sales manager of the dealership, and posted the name of it -- somethiing I was being careful not to divulge because I was trying to work out an amicable settlement. The whole thing just turned into an incredible s---storm on the forum, including personal attacks on me. All because I was, in fact, wronged -- the dealership settled with me in the end -- but people can be too quick to judge and accuse when the facts are not all in front of them. And sometimes there's a reason why those facts are not available.

Stealth could've been more forthcoming, or at least said why he was not more clearly, and he may have shown a bit of attitude toward the end ... but go back and read how people accused him of lying, being a troll, speculated (wrongly) on how much he overpaid for the car, did tax calculations to try and figure out his purchase price ... I don't understand that attitude, all because he wanted to try and settle it before he divulged who the dealer in question was. Put yourself in his shoes ... a dealer did something that we all agree is pretty unethical, but he didn't want to give up the car over it, he wanted to vent and get a little advice ... and he winds up being put through the wringer.

There are always two sides to everything ... and I am a professional journalist and I am paid to be objective and skeptical as a result ... but rushing to judgment is just as bad as skewing the original facts, in my book.

This is a great forum, but sometimes you see the other side of things, which is kind of a shame, especially since I have been around for about 10 years now, when what eventually became Rennlist was really starting out. We've lost a lot of really good people as a result ... Viken comes to mind, and there are others if you've been around awhile.

Just my two cents ... there's a certain amount of risk when you post to a forum like this ... and I saw it coming and cringed when I read his post, it brought back some bad memories.
Thanks, I didn't expect to take such a bashing about all the details that are not part of the problem.

Originally Posted by Yunggrazhoppa
This was a very interesting and educational thread on many levels.

Before accusing someone of not being classy in defense of the board, it might be a good idea to read the whole thread. There were several RLers who were less than "classy" with their response to a newb seemingly caught in a ****ty circumstance looking for support. Dodging questions can be cause for some on RL to raise questions about the validity of a newb's claims but making assumptions as to why he may not be as forthcoming as some here would've liked so THEY can feel confident as to his representations...well that's just asinine. It's just as easy to assume that he's some dude looking for attention as it is to assume he's a guy who's never joined a forum before, who's caught in a situation that could have libelous repercussions and is getting advice from his lawyer GF to be careful with what he writes on a public forum as he seeks support.

Casting judgments based on partial information and potentially erroneous assumptions is as smart as believing everything you read on a public forum is true.
Yes, I was explicitly told not to post any private information about the transaction. She was made at me for making this post. She didn't want to stir the pot at all, & is still wondering if he will confirm the deal she sent him.

FWIW, I'm not new to BBS, & have been part of the local Audi & BMW community for years, & like to think I'm respected & have many friends. It was quite a shock to just have people post when I'm upset, that I not only made it up for attention, but that I'm lying, there is just no need for that, why is it that I can be bashed, but not say anything in defense of myself? Are you all really that fickle? I came here to lean about my new car, not to start all this drama.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stealth , thanks for clear picture to this I am sure not pleasant situation . I personally apologize if I came across as rude . Your post came across to me as a" frustration and don`t know what to do about it post " People here were trying to just be helpful and give suggestions and things just went a little array

If you had just wanted to post the story maybe you should of waited till the last chapter had played out and then folks would of read the post as such (story).

Again welcome and hope you and your dream car make yourself at home here . Hoping you could leave the past behind .

Cheers Guy

BTW HELL maybe be better place to get a " Hot Deal ' as oppose to Luxury Cars North West

Last edited by briefescape; 11-14-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Good luck with the 993.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Dealer is screwing me!