Sponsored by:

Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:29 PM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingbutgt3
if you tell me with a minimum of notice, maybe we organize ourselves for a meeting, with or without Porsche.

If you wish I can also organize a small welcoming committee ....every occasion is good to get these wonderful creatures out of their garage.
I wil be there in may, whit friends we come with his Quattroporte ;-), I would like to see your project we can keep an mini meeting.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:21 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

if memory doesn't play strange jokes, I think the 959 had liquid-cooled heads ... with 4 valves, not 2...

For the moment, this week end I took home the varioram intake, plus the 2 cup rear-view mirrors and the odometer, so I'm pretty happy.

Then I went to the vintage car fair in Padua, where I could observe and photograph very closely the details of the bodywork of the 993 GT2, coming directly from the Porsche Museum.

there is a big difference between seeing a 993 gt2 in picture, especially in light colors and seeing it live: the connecting surfaces of the enlargements in photos seem much more pronounced than live.

I must say with those riveted enlargements it is really a sneaky tiger cub ...
I agree seeing them in person is amazing. IMO one of the nicest they built. That looks very much like the one for sale at Amelia 2 years ago. I believe these used magnesium versions of the Vram. They had larger plastic intakes as well to work with the larger dia of the castings and intake ports.

Here are the stock plastic intakes vs the larger versions.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:47 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Received 728 Likes on 245 Posts

They had larger plastic intakes
I see, the RS ones are wider than the 3,6 ones : but also the intake runners are wider, not?

I read that the flow inside the Varioram Intake can be optimised: do you know what is the issue about it?

I was also looking for used air ducts, but on the PET I don't find the codes, and I don't know if the 964 ones are the same of the 993, if they are different but they can be used, or what is the right code to look for.

these 2 parts for 964 and 993 are the same?

I found the codes, they are just in another place of the PET, but only after having seen them on the destroyed parts: are they magnesium or aluminum?

964.106.266.1R
Old 11-06-2019, 11:08 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

I see, the RS ones are wider than the 3,6 ones : but also the intake runners are wider, not?

I read that the flow inside the Varioram Intake can be optimised: do you know what is the issue about it?
There are a few intake updates on the 3.8 RS

-Larger plastic manifolds as Cobalt shared
-Larger magnesium runners
-Inside the runner it is smooth. You can get a flap sander and sand the casting marks flat for a similar effect on a standard runner
-Larger intake ports on the cylinder head
-Larger intake valves

What is not clear if it was factory or an upgrade done by scargo who was the engine builder on mine was a larger throttle body as well as a polished throttle body "diverter" or these were additional motorsport upgrades

I was chatting with another rennlister and he noticed on his standard vram manifold it didn't have it...
Attached Images    
Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

They are the same parts used on the 964 and yes they are magnesium. If these were aluminum they would be in better shape. IIRC there were additional pieces added to the top of the engine to control air flow better but I can't seem to find them in the PET. I might be recalling the info from the workshop manuals.

The Magnesium intake runners are wider to match the plastic intakes. I believe the injectors sit higher as well for additional cooling although I might be thinking 964 vs 993.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:26 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Today it has arrived this used item

Strange that there is no trace of this part number on the 993 PET, but everywhere on the internet it is recognised as the Turbo/Carrera 4/RS brake booster

http://www.ladismantler.com/porsche-...r-99335502551/

What happens if I use this brake booster on standard narrow body 993 carrera brake calipers?

If I am not mistaken, the carrera 4 used it: shouldn't there be a greater braking force available if instead of using big red calipers, I'd go on with the standard ones?

The interesting question to me is the following: if the Carrera 4, with the same identical calipers as the Carrera, but with smaller pistons at the rear, needed to use this brake booster, I do not think it can be attributed to the greater weight of just 50 kg.

In my opinion the reason is that the 4-wheel drive models all had the ABD as standard, a low-speed stability control system that has longer lines, i.e. more braking fluid, than the normal system.

Longer lines, more volume of brake fluid to move, on cars equipped with ABD , ask higher pressure compared to the standard Carrera system without ABD, which infact does not have a brake booster.

Certainly, greater pressure means better responsiveness to braking imputs: I would be interesting a comparison between the braking ability of a ROW 993 with ABD, one with and the other without a brake booster.
I would expect the one with the brake booster to be more effective, like probably it was required for the carrera 4, that was expected to have more quickness in its ABD response, because if you buy a 4 you expect better ability on wet or squid surfaces.

But this is just my personal idea: does anyone have a definite answer?

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 11-07-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:32 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Check this thread out...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-upgrade.html

This is a good pic of the other parts you need from the thread above.

You will also need the pressure accumulator (the round bottle in the pic) and the electric pump (the thing that looks like a starter in the pic) that creates pressure in the brake system. Do you also have the ABS unit and is it still functional after being underwater?

The pressure accumulator and pump came with the big reds system on the C4S and TT to increase the pressure beyond the standard vacuum based model the C2 and c4 has. This system is parallel to the ABS system. ABD is the 4 channel ABS system which yes the C4, C4S, and TT came standard and optional on the C2. Standard C2 ABS system came with a 3 channel setup.
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2019, 12:36 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Check this thread out...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-upgrade.html

This is a good pic of the other parts you need from the thread above.

You will also need the pressure accumulator (the round bottle in the pic) and the electric pump (the thing that looks like a starter in the pic) that creates pressure in the brake system. Do you also have the ABS unit and is it still functional after being underwater?

The pressure accumulator and pump came with the big reds system on the C4S and TT to increase the pressure beyond the standard vacuum based model the C2 and c4 has. This system is parallel to the ABS system. ABD is the 4 channel ABS system which yes the C4, C4S, and TT came standard and optional on the C2. Standard C2 ABS system came with a 3 channel setup.
thank you Samurai,
yes, I’ll be searching for these parts, in the meanwhile, this is what the courier delivered to me last Friday...

Meanwhile on the engine side the last missing parts are the cams, which should be sport cams, otherwise I think the brake lines will need to be completely replaced, I found the Locking system control unit, the only one missing is the alarm one.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:32 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
There are a few intake updates on the 3.8 RS

-Larger plastic manifolds as Cobalt shared
-Larger magnesium runners
-Inside the runner it is smooth. You can get a flap sander and sand the casting marks flat for a similar effect on a standard runner
-Larger intake ports on the cylinder head
-Larger intake valves

What is not clear if it was factory or an upgrade done by scargo who was the engine builder on mine was a larger throttle body as well as a polished throttle body "diverter" or these were additional motorsport upgrades

I was chatting with another rennlister and he noticed on his standard vram manifold it didn't have it...
That splitter is definitely SCARGO custom work. I didn’t realize they did it on VRAM manifolds too. I’ve seen it mostly on the 993 turbo manifolds. They upgrade throttle body diameter when doing the mod at the same time. Again I didn’t think they’d do a bigger throttle body to VRAM too.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:27 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Few minutes ago I found for sale on the Internet this yellow ‘95 porsche 993 turbo with X50 430 ps kit from factory, and I am quite sure this couldn’t be pastel yellow, since it was available starting from m.y. 97, so this might be the only other one “limonengelb” 993 ever produced, the big sister of limoncella...I asked the seller if he can make a picture of the paint code sticker inside the luggage compartment, let’s see

Old 11-27-2019, 03:13 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

perhaps I should have studied archeology ... I am very passionate about the idea of recovering as much as possible of this beautiful and robust kraftsman work.
What I won't be able to reuse, like the fan, I think I'll put it in a lexan case

I finally got 99% of the parts needed for the engine rebuild...

The following 3 users liked this post by nothingbutgt3:
Bigwood (11-29-2019), imdvs (11-27-2019), The Eagle (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 02:47 AM
Bigwood
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

What a great project,Skol!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:41 PM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

A little update:
the end of January the car is going to be transferred to the body shop, finally.

The body will be water blasted, to take away the painting and put evidence onto eventual spot of rust, but at the same time avoiding to remove the original zinc plating.

I finally arrived to the conclusion that in order not to lose the matching number attribute, I am going to rebuild the engine, making a compleately revision to bring it back to 0 km but using its original components, ie avoiding any kind of modification/upgrade.

the same will be for the G50.21 2 gearbox

In the meanwhile I found a supplier of a 964 engine from the ‘91 and I am thinking of using that engine to build the STEP 2, saving the original engine in case of any damage.

A thing I would consider to do, is to install centerlock wheel hubs: considering this mod, does anyone know if the Boxster 986 or 996 front and rear wheel hubs fit the 993 wheel carrier same ay as 993 wheels hubs do?

I saw there is a much larger offer of 986 and 996 used wheel hubs and they seem to use the same wheel bearing (from the Porsche PET).

I recently bought a set of BBS E29 (Aluminum alloy centers) from a 996 CUP to convert them into 5 lugs at first and then to be eventually used with centerlocking system

if there is anyone who can provide me a good contact here in Europe to a BBS used (or new) parts supplier, it would be very appreciated.
From what I have understood so far, I must upgrade the inner barrels front to a 7,5” and rear to a 8,5”, because BBS doesn’t offer an outer barrel smaller than 1” for the front wheels.

Last edited by nothingbutgt3; 01-21-2020 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
13DM (01-21-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 04:58 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

From what I have understood so far, I must upgrade the inner barrels front to a 7,5” and rear to a 8,5”, because BBS doesn’t offer an outer barrel smaller than 1” for the front wheels.
You might already now FVD but just in case:
https://www.fvd.net/de-en/113I7518/b...rim-75x18.html
https://www.fvd.net/de-en/113I8518/b...rim-85x18.html

I just have good experiences with them.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:28 AM
nothingbutgt3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mikke_Possu
You might already now FVD but just in case:
https://www.fvd.net/de-en/113I7518/b...rim-75x18.html
https://www.fvd.net/de-en/113I8518/b...rim-85x18.html

I just have good experiences with them.
Thank you Mikke, I would like to try saving some money, so first choice is finding used parts in good condition.

I am looking for part # 7 in the picture: does anyone know where to find it?

Quick Reply: Project Limoncella - Restoring 993 into a CUP/RSR 1:1 tribute