Sponsored by:

992.2 ~25% Fewer Customers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 07:50 PM
TUD
Rennlist Member

Received 1,569 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
That chart does not have the i4, i5, or i7. BMW also has several plug-in hybrid sub-models that fall under the listed primary models.
Yep, BMW hides those numbers by combining them with the ICE 4, 5, and 7. They are lackluster I can promise you that.
The following users liked this post:
M3Inline6 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 07:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
I still don’t get how BMW can still sell all ICE M cars while 911 went hybrid especially considering the fact that the Porsche ppl always stated they will keep 911s ICE and manual as long as possible.
Don’t look now, but the X5 and X6 are ‘mild hybrids’, just like the upcoming 911 GTS.

Big difference between a ‘mild hybrid’ and a vehicle that plugs in and runs on electric power. ‘Mild hybrid’ drivetrains are the next evolution of the ICE (of which Porsche is frankly late to the game); getting rid of archaic belts and 12v architecture, and using electric torque for good to compensate for turbochargers’ deficiencies, seamlessly integrate start/stop functionality, and run ancillaries. Look at it that way and maybe you won’t be so bitter.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
AlexCeres (06-15-2024), ldamelio (06-18-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 08:01 PM
Lk1
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by huntflyer
No manual = not considering it. Full stop.
So what are you getting instead?
Old 06-15-2024, 09:33 PM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 417 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres

A manual Turbo makes me salivate like frying up bacon. A baby sports classic ? More modern, less heritage navel gazing, no limited edition premium ? Take my money. Not worried about my luck.
Right there with ya bud!
AlexCeres (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 09:37 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Get ready to pay massive ADM for Turbo or GT3 manuals.
Sure, same as it ever was. Was true with the 992.1, will be true again. Hybrid or no hybrid Carreras were never going change that. The only flickering of light is Porsche really needs to juice its profits with products like these, build more of them, and stop letting dealers take such a large slice of the market value. Literally eating Porsche’s profit margins. I don’t expect anything silly like a crack down on adm itself or dealer games, but I do expect much higher msrp and more total units built. The GT products are clearly mispriced in the USA.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:17 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 338 Posts

All you flat earth / hell no / 'old men' really need to rent a PDK car for a day and give it a proper thrashing on road, track & traffic. Then write your book report how your agricultural MT is preferable, and how you're not missing the integrated e-diff an all the other stuff that Porsche needed to castrate from the build just so you had something to do with your right hand and left foot. Then send it to Porsche product planning so they can incorporate all your feedback from the 1940's... go.
The following 3 users liked this post by jlegelis:
Crusje (06-16-2024), Jeff Whitten (06-16-2024), Nick (06-17-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 11:58 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts

Sure, same as it ever was. Was true with the 992.1, will be true again. Hybrid or no hybrid Carreras were never going change that. The only flickering of light is Porsche really needs to juice its profits with products like these, build more of them, and stop letting dealers take such a large slice of the market value. Literally eating Porsche’s profit margins. I don’t expect anything silly like a crack down on adm itself or dealer games, but I do expect much higher msrp and more total units built. The GT products are clearly mispriced in the USA.
Umm there is a big difference actually as with 992.1 you could have purchased an S or GTS with a manual. You didn’t need to get a Turbo or GT3 which are nowhere in same price range especially if you add on ADMs.
Hopefully there will be a T but it will be much less powerful than a 992.1 S/GTS.
Tedster (06-19-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 12:02 AM
R N M
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Don’t look now, but the X5 and X6 are ‘mild hybrids’, just like the upcoming 911 GTS.

Big difference between a ‘mild hybrid’ and a vehicle that plugs in and runs on electric power. ‘Mild hybrid’ drivetrains are the next evolution of the ICE (of which Porsche is frankly late to the game); getting rid of archaic belts and 12v architecture, and using electric torque for good to compensate for turbochargers’ deficiencies, seamlessly integrate start/stop functionality, and run ancillaries. Look at it that way and maybe you won’t be so bitter.
I don’t care if Macan, Cayenne or Panamera is mild hybrid just like its ok for X3,5,6 etc but why touch the 911?! It sells in minuscule #s compared to the Suvs yet i can go and buy a V8 Cayenne S but for 911 GTS it has to be hybrid for emissions lol - please make it make sense…..
Old 06-16-2024, 12:10 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Umm there is a big difference actually as with 992.1 you could have purchased an S or GTS with a manual. You didn’t need to get a Turbo or GT3 which are nowhere in same price range especially if you add on ADMs.
Hopefully there will be a T but it will be much less powerful than a 992.1 S/GTS.
Umm where were you when the 992.1 launched or do you not remember that the S wasn't available with a manual at launch in 2019 and the GTS wasn't launched until 2021? Porsche has always staggered their trim and equipment launches. The only thing different about the .2 is that they have launched the GTS with the base first which breaks tradition. While I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche will only offer a manual in GT and exclusive models going forward, we don't know for certain yet what other trims will or won't get a manual and probably won't until 2026.
Old 06-16-2024, 12:16 AM
Jrezaf
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts

So ? Wait a few more years for a T. These cars are very durable. Nobody is forcing you to sell the one you have now. It’ll last.

A manual Turbo makes me salivate like frying up bacon. A baby sports classic ? More modern, less heritage navel gazing, no limited edition premium ? Take my money. Not worried about my luck.
Had a long discussion with my sales associate on the rumors of a RWD manual Turbo... this is how that convo went
SA: "Look, you're gonna be getting the 2nd or 3rd GT3 coming in, and you're already getting a Targa, so with those and your RS6 your garage will be pretty complete."
Me: "... and that rumored manual Turbo?"
SA: "All my clients will be wanting that, and I'm not sure I'll be able to meet demand."

Old 06-16-2024, 08:12 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,439 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Umm where were you when the 992.1 launched or do you not remember that the S wasn't available with a manual at launch in 2019 and the GTS wasn't launched until 2021? Porsche has always staggered their trim and equipment launches. The only thing different about the .2 is that they have launched the GTS with the base first which breaks tradition. While I wouldn't be surprised if Porsche will only offer a manual in GT and exclusive models going forward, we don't know for certain yet what other trims will or won't get a manual and probably won't until 2026.
Here is the difference. When the 992.1 was launched in 2019, Porsche immediately stated that a MT would be available in the S and GTS so buyers could make informed decisions. When Frank Moser was asked in 2024 about a MT for any model of the 992.2, his response was “I don’t know. We are working on it.” You correctly state the difference- with the 992.2 we do not know anything.
Tedster (06-19-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 10:27 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,020 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I never thought the day would come that BMW offered more manuals than Porsche.

I still don’t get how BMW can still sell all ICE M cars while 911 went hybrid especially considering the fact that the Porsche ppl always stated they will keep 911s ICE and manual as long as possible.
Porsche will keep ICE and manuals…for their $235k+ trim levels.
Old 06-16-2024, 10:32 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Porsche will keep ICE and manuals…for their $235k+ trim levels.
+1…….in typical Porsche style, it will be available IF you are willing to pay out the nose for it. Would be unfortunate to not have a “T” for the non-rich enthusiasts market.
Old 06-16-2024, 10:48 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
All you flat earth / hell no / 'old men' really need to rent a PDK car for a day and give it a proper thrashing on road, track & traffic. Then write your book report how your agricultural MT is preferable, and how you're not missing the integrated e-diff an all the other stuff that Porsche needed to castrate from the build just so you had something to do with your right hand and left foot. Then send it to Porsche product planning so they can incorporate all your feedback from the 1940's... go.
Ordered a 991.1 TT and had it about a year before trading it. Did not like the PDK. At all. Simply not as enjoyable to drive. For me.
Does that count or do I need to get a 992.2 to learn the same (very expensive) lesson?
I try to never say never but can certainly say “highly unlikely”. At least the Miata still has a manual available. I had one of those the same year I bought the TT (‘15). It was a lot of fun.
Tedster (06-19-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 10:59 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Keadog
Ordered a 991.1 TT and had it about a year before trading it. Did not like the PDK. At all. Simply not as enjoyable to drive. For me.
Does that count or do I need to get a 992.2 to learn the same (very expensive) lesson?
I try to never say never but can certainly say “highly unlikely”. At least the Miata still has a manual available. I had one of those the same year I bought the TT (‘15). It was a lot of fun.
+1…..he is very insecure and just can’t control his ownership bias sometimes and thinks what is good for his situation should be good for every other person in the world. . If everyone on this forum thought alike, this would be very boring place. God knows one of him is more than enough. He does not realize that most RL’s have owned both transmissions like you. If he wants to pay for my car, he can select all the options. Miata’s are a blast especially for the price.
The following 5 users liked this post by Fullyield:
BondJ (06-16-2024), C21ban (06-16-2024), dchang81 (06-17-2024), M3Inline6 (06-19-2024), TUD (06-16-2024)

Quick Reply: 992.2 ~25% Fewer Customers?