Sponsored by:

992.2 ~25% Fewer Customers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Once the manufacturers went to more than a 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, for the fuel economy numbers, they lost me. I had a 6 speed Corvette and that really got to be a real PIA. In the reality of the traffic in any major city and as I live in the Los Angeles area I know of where I speak. While I may prefer the Zen of having a manual transmission the function of a PDK, as good as the one in my 992 is, it just makes a Manual Transmission a real hard sell. If and when I begin to see folks clamoring for the deletion of the ancillary systems that the early 911's didn't have, but their new and righteously manual transmission equipped 911 does have, that's when I'll buy into their "purest" argument in support of a manual transmission. Let's forgo: Air Conditioning, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Power Two and Four Wheel Steering, Boosted ABS Brake systems, 4 Wheel Drive, Power Heated Manual Mirrors (on the drivers AND the passengers side), Heated AND Cooled Seats, Headlights that adjust their aim automatically based on the steering wheel position, Cruise Control and Automatic Cruise Control, Then there are the other acronyms: LKA, LCA, FAL, Electronic Curb Feelers and Parking Cameras, etc., etc. Who is kidding who? The list is practically endless. So now what?
You have a point. But for many manual fans its simply the "rowing gears" meachanics and feel that makes them/us happy. We have 2 manuals (Type R and GR) and they are fun to drive and we enjoy it. I prefer the PDK in the 911 simply its just so good and for a performance oriented car the PDK just works better/faster than my arm and feet ever can. But if I had a manual, I would enjoy it too. The 911 T is a nice option that was not available to me at the time.
To the topic of the thread - 25% fewer customers - that's just a redicolous hypothesis not worth having an extended discussion about it.
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 01:27 PM
AlfaM5
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
BMW is selling a lot of EVs to help their fleet CO2 numbers. Heck, 13% of the BMWs sold in the US are EVs.
Yes but I can argue that BMW EVs are better and far more exciting than their ICE cars. After buying 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s BMWs, I stopped caring for their stupid designs, pork, boring engines etc etc until recently. Their EVs are brilliant and the top M-massaged models are every bit as tactile as BMWs of old.
Old 06-17-2024, 01:29 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Calm down. Manual transmissions were not available at launch of the 992.1 either.
Correct, those of us who wanted a manual just waited till it was announced. Porsche have not said a manual 992.2 will not be available at some point.
Old 06-17-2024, 01:36 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
BMW is selling a lot of EVs to help their fleet CO2 numbers. Heck, 13% of the BMWs sold in the US are EVs.
Originally Posted by AlfaM5
Yes but I can argue that BMW EVs are better and far more exciting than their ICE cars. After buying 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s BMWs, I stopped caring for their stupid designs, pork, boring engines etc etc until recently. Their EVs are brilliant and the top M-massaged models are every bit as tactile as BMWs of old.
Not sure of pricing here but down in Australia the cheapest 3-series is an EV, and arguably the pick of the non-M range.
Old 06-17-2024, 01:37 PM
AlfaM5
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Once the manufacturers went to more than a 5 Speed Manual Gearbox, for the fuel economy numbers, they lost me. I had a 6 speed Corvette and that really got to be a real PIA. In the reality of the traffic in any major city and as I live in the Los Angeles area I know of where I speak. While I may prefer the Zen of having a manual transmission the function of a PDK, as good as the one in my 992 is, it just makes a Manual Transmission a real hard sell. If and when I begin to see folks clamoring for the deletion of the ancillary systems that the early 911's didn't have, but their new and righteously manual transmission equipped 911 does have, that's when I'll buy into their "purest" argument in support of a manual transmission. Let's forgo: Air Conditioning, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Power Two and Four Wheel Steering, Boosted ABS Brake systems, 4 Wheel Drive, Power Heated Manual Mirrors (on the drivers AND the passengers side), Heated AND Cooled Seats, Headlights that adjust their aim automatically based on the steering wheel position, Cruise Control and Automatic Cruise Control, Then there are the other acronyms: LKA, LCA, FAL, Electronic Curb Feelers and Parking Cameras, etc., etc. Who is kidding who? The list is practically endless. So now what?
6 speed is ok. 7 is too much. I never use the 7th gear in my car.

As to the "purity" discussion, I would not have bought my car if it didn't have a manual transmission. Why? The car is so accomplished that unless I'm on the track, it's boring if I let it do everything. This is not just a Porsche thing - I feel the same way about most high performance cars made today. Old cars had A/C by the way but these days you don't have the option to delete all those things. So some of us do the best we can. I ordered mine with:
Manual - my choice
A/C - no choice
Power Windows - no choice
Power Door Locks - no choice
Power Two and Four Wheel Steering - no choice on power but I got two wheel steering
Boosted ABS Brake systems - no choice
4 Wheel Drive - got RWD my choice
Power Heated Manual Mirrors (on the drivers AND the passengers side) - no choice
Heated AND Cooled Seats - no choice on heated but got basic manual seats with no cooling my choice
Headlights that adjust their aim automatically based on the steering wheel position - standard on GTS, did not pay for "updated" headlights
Cruise Control and Automatic Cruise Control - cruise standard, automatic not option on manual
LKA - did not get
LCA - got it because I feel it's a nice safety thing for an aging enthusiast
FAL - did not get
Electronic Curb Feelers and Parking Cameras - whatever is standard on the car

In short, my point is give me the option to get what I want or don't want.
Tedster (06-19-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:34 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 661 Posts

All you flat earth / hell no / clueless children really need to rent/borrow a manual car for a day (and take a lesson in how to operate it) and give it a proper thrashing on road, track & traffic. Then write your book report how your automatic is preferable, and how you're not missing all the stuff Porsche needed to castrate from the build just so you could sip your latte and text when you should be driving or perhaps to increase sales to those who are too uncoordinated to ever learn to properly drive a manual. Then send it to Porsche product planning so they can incorporate all your feedback from the perspective of the totally clueless.
The following 8 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
AlfaM5 (06-17-2024), Bill_76 (06-17-2024), brandobot (06-17-2024), Hunky (06-17-2024), Motorin Mark (06-17-2024), smyers528 (06-29-2024), Tedster (06-19-2024), txpackers (06-18-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2024, 03:09 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,439 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Correct, those of us who wanted a manual just waited till it was announced. Porsche have not said a manual 992.2 will not be available at some point.
See post 41. The fact that a 992 MT would be available in the GTS and S was announced in 2019 BEFORE the first 992 base rolled off the assembly line. Not this time, curiously? You know how a politically correct diplomat says “No”. He says “Maybe, We will see” . if you are Frank Moser you say “ I don’t know. We are working on it.” Does anyone really believe that as of today Porsche does not know whether a MT will be available in any 992.2 model?

Last edited by Fullyield; 06-17-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:16 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
All you flat earth / hell no / clueless children really need to rent/borrow a manual car for a day (and take a lesson in how to operate it) and give it a proper thrashing on road, track & traffic. Then write your book report how your automatic is preferable, and how you're not missing all the stuff Porsche needed to castrate from the build just so you could sip your latte and text when you should be driving or perhaps to increase sales to those who are too uncoordinated to ever learn to properly drive a manual. Then send it to Porsche product planning so they can incorporate all your feedback from the perspective of the totally clueless.
you feeling okay?
Old 06-17-2024, 03:19 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tobeit
you feeling okay?
He is fine….just directing well deserved sarcasm at post 36, I think.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:31 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
He is fine….just directing well deserved sarcasm at post 36, I think.
damn...had to scroll a few pages back...I guess would help to quote to get the point...but get it now.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:36 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
See post 41. The fact that a 992 MT would be available in the GTS and S was announced in 2019 BEFORE the first 992 base rolled off the assembly line. Not this time, curiously? You know how a politically correct diplomat says “No”. He says “Maybe, We will see” . if you are Frank Moser you say “ I don’t know. We are working on it.” Does anyone really believe that as of today Porsche does not know whether a MT will be available in any 992.2 model?
"Porsche have not said a manual 992.2 will not be available at some point."
The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
AlexCeres (06-17-2024), R N M (06-19-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 03:53 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
This is to the point great post.
So many twenty and thirty somethings learned on Mommys Camry or Explorer and have never even had a ride in a manual transmission vehicle. Most of them have never gotten their hands dirty and think hard work is tapping their little keyboard buttons while at home in their underwear working "remotely".
This is the crew who will burst forth with their wisdom in these types of threads when in reality they have no clue and couldn't tell the difference between a fuel injector and a throw out bearing. Punks like that would sheet themselves if they tried to power shift(no lift) a big block muscle car or C7 Z06. LOL.
Anyone regardless of age who promotes the notion that a third pedal is for cave men is irretrieveably lost in this arena and simply does not get it.

Last edited by Hunky; 06-17-2024 at 04:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hunky:
AlfaM5 (06-17-2024), M3Inline6 (06-29-2024), Tedster (06-19-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 11:26 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
Yet, many of them own other vehicles with manual transmissions. In Jasons case multiple including an E30 BMW and a VW Scirocco.
Wow. Those are for sale ? Lololol. Yes, Porsche is deeply concerned about the buying patterns of folks who buy a car once every 30 years.

I love the ****ting on 30 yro. Let’s take a look at the average salary of journalists ….
Old 06-17-2024, 11:38 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Indeed. There will be at least 2 trims, and probably more. Folks need to chill out.

Porsche hates leaving money on the table, and their share price this year will be motivating.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:47 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Indeed. There will be at least 2 trims, and probably more. Folks need to chill out.

Porsche hates leaving money on the table, and their share price this year will be motivating.
Easy for a non-buying PDK owners to chant. The issue is with the “S” not the GT3 or TT-RWD (which will have MT for the $$$). The “T” is years out. The issue is with the “S”. The “S” rollout is supposedly in 6-8 months. Per Silver Surfer 6, no MT in “S” because it is getting the hybrid drive train. Hope he is wrong, but he was correct about the GTS and base rollout. The people on RL who need to chill are those who forgot the title to this thread and believe what is OK for them is OK for everyone. If you want to pay for my car, you can select all the options.
wingless (06-18-2024)

Quick Reply: 992.2 ~25% Fewer Customers?