Sponsored by:

[Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2024, 11:50 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Where do you get 'no-engine' from? And odd shapes? Come on man, now we know you're smoking something!
Look at the wheels on a Taycan or the aerodynamics over done . Or the new Macan with the square fascia , and slats in the rear . Its ALL for range .If its hot outside and you use AC its less range. Drive it hard and it's less range too . Gain 5 points and it's less too.
They even call them a "Turbo " . HA HA. !!!! This is no Turbo .
The cars suck !! The sound of silence is the sound of death .

Whats even worse are the people who buy them to the joy of the opportunistic politicians .
1) Theres the fake do gooders - They dont really care about the environment . They do care about their image and this car goes with what they want people to think of them .
2) You have the brainwashed zealot who firmly believes that the future of our planet starts now with him . It's funny how human beings label other animals "invasive" or "nuisance" when we not only kill them but destroy everything . Thats a combination of the pot calling the kettle black and elitism. Heck , the idea that a giant war might lead us to wipe each other out is in fact a topic . Yet the EV is going to save us all !! Ha !!!
3) The person who thinks he's frugal . Yep.. there is always an EV zealot who touts how much money he saves in gasoline while his 200K Taycan is now worth 80K .

Theres more but this hybrid (thread title ) isnt a full EV YET . Thats where Blume wants to take this eventually .

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-21-2024 at 11:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by yrralis1:
Hunky (06-21-2024), Ikone (06-21-2024), VintageRacer (06-22-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
dak656
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Boxster , Cayman built its success on a mid engine,.The Spyder holds the Guiness record . Going from mid engine to no engine is like automotive castraton . All those EV;'s have odd shapes deliberately to get range . It's fake. coolness

Look at early 911's with the small platform , offset pedals , 1960's dash eve into the 90;'s and compare that to todays 992.2 GTS . It's like a freak .

Whats next ? a car that drives the person by itself around the Nurburgring and breaks records .
Do you use an iPhone or are you still using a rotary phone on a landline?
The following users liked this post:
user 999993337 (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,510 Likes on 5,046 Posts

Look at the wheels on a Taycan or the aerodynamics over done . Or the new Macan with the square fascia , and slats in the rear . Its ALL for range .If its hot outside and you use AC its less range. Drive it hard and it's less range too . Gain 5 points and it's less too.

Whats even worse are the people who buy them to the joy of the opportunistic politicians .
1) Theres the fake do gooders - They dont really care about the environment . They do care about their image and this car goes with what they want people to think of them .
2) You have the brainwashed zealot who firmly believes that the future of our planet starts now with him . It's funny how human beings label other animals "invasive" or "nuisance" when we not only kill them but destroy everything . Thats a combination of the pot calling the kettle black and elitism. Heck , the idea that a giant war might lead us to wipe each other out is in fact a topic . Yet the EV is going to save us all !! Ha !!!
3) The person who thinks he's frugal . Yep.. there is always an EV zealot who touts how much money he saves in gasoline while his 200K Taycan is now worth 80K .

Theres more but this hybrid (thread title ) isnt a full EV YET . Thats where Blume wants to take this eventually .
I think the Taycan is one the best looking cars Porsche has made in the past 30 years, 911 included.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:22 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think the Taycan is one the best looking cars Porsche has made in the past 30 years, 911 included.
This wheel is even called the "aero wheel " . The car weighs nearly as much a Toyota Tundra but has a wheel worried about drag .

VintageRacer (06-22-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 12:42 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,287 Likes on 602 Posts

This wheel is even called the "aero wheel " . The car weighs nearly as much a Toyota Tundra but has a wheel worried about drag .
Aerodynamic drag and weight are unrelated…
Old 06-21-2024, 01:18 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Aerodynamic drag and weight are unrelated…
No kidding My point was the "cool" aesthetics I called "fake" as they are purpose driven aimed at the one of the biggest fears of any EV driver ... range,
Old 06-21-2024, 01:25 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 480 Posts

If its hot outside and you use AC its less range. Drive it hard and it's less range too . Gain 5 points and it's less too.
Good thing none of those things affect ICE.
Old 06-21-2024, 01:45 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,819 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Sure, whatever.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:00 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 94 Posts

This post is absolutely spot on but absolutely not what the EV flag waivers and zealots want to hear.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:08 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 328 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson29
Good thing none of those things affect ICE.
Lol 🤣 To be fair to this guy, if you drive an ICE too hard with AC on etc…you spend 3 minutes filling up rather than 3 hours recharging and paying through the nose for endless Costa coffee while you wait…
Old 06-21-2024, 03:30 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 312 Posts

Or the new Macan with the square fascia , and slats in the rear . Its ALL for range .
The EV Macan looks better than the old one though. By a lot

Correct. https://time.com/6308681/converting-...c-cars-to-evs/

​​​​​​​2) You have the brainwashed zealot who firmly believes that the future of our planet starts now with him . It's funny how human beings label other animals "invasive" or "nuisance" when we not only kill them but destroy everything . Thats a combination of the pot calling the kettle black and elitism. Heck , the idea that a giant war might lead us to wipe each other out is in fact a topic . Yet the EV is going to save us all !! Ha !!!
There are so many problems with EVs. For one, there aren't enough competing energy companies that I can choose from. I'm stuck with whatever I get at my home. If the grid goes down nobody can charge. Fossil fuels are so much better for transportability and energy independence. Independence from the government. There's no way they're going to be able to upgrade our grids in time to serve more EVs, more heat pumps, more cameras, more electric stoves, etc. What they're just gonna do is ration your power if it comes down to it. The freedom we have with gas and diesel is amazing and taken for granted.

​​​​​​​3) The person who thinks he's frugal . Yep.. there is always an EV zealot who touts how much money he saves in gasoline while his 200K Taycan is now worth 80K .
you can't take these people seriously. they're at the Apple store every day looking at similar gadgets

Old 06-21-2024, 04:06 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 180 Posts

the more this argument gets rehashed over and over and over again the more it looks like oil lamps vs light bulbs to me. '

How many out there still burning oil / gas for their lighting?

Of course it still exists, plenty of niche applications, as well as the ultra poor lacking infra for electric lighting.

The only *free* people I know are the ones with enough solar and storage to charge their cars and still have zero power bill.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike818:
aggie57 (06-21-2024), PorscheObsessed (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 05:39 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike818
the more this argument gets rehashed over and over and over again the more it looks like oil lamps vs light bulbs to me. '

How many out there still burning oil / gas for their lighting?

Of course it still exists, plenty of niche applications, as well as the ultra poor lacking infra for electric lighting.

The only *free* people I know are the ones with enough solar and storage to charge their cars and still have zero power bill.
​​​​​Strawman argument- topic A a is being discussed. Topic B is introduced as being somehow related to topic A. Topic B is attacked.. Topic A is abandoned .
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
Hunky (06-21-2024), VarTheVar (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 05:53 PM
B194HR
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 91 Posts

I’m glad I just upgraded to a 2024 992.1, 911. It means I have many years of familiar, enjoyable and dependable technology to look forward to.
The 992.2 generation has to prove itself, to me as well as others. I hope it works out and we can all move forward into the future happily with this hybrid car.
But frankly, it’s too early to tell how good or bad it’s going to be until a few years pass at the very least.

I feel like we are standing at the edge of a lake that’s frozen over. I’m gonna hang back and watch some people cross to the other side before I decide whether
I want to walk across or walk around it. I’ve got nothing to lose by waiting, and everything to gain.
johnohara (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 06:29 PM
Hunky
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 94 Posts

I saw the results of a recent survey showing 49% of current EV owners regret their selection and will not buy another. EVs are just not viable currently in a widespread sense regardless of how loudly the zealots pound their fists or how much subsidy the government throws at them.

Quick Reply: [Engineering Explained] Porsche's New 911 Engine Is Absolutely Brilliant