Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

I’d DD the crap out of a GT3.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:26 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,390 Posts

Glad to know we have some folks that were on the Porsche Focus Groups. I now know who to partially blame for the myriad idiocies that were allowed to be mass produced in the 992 or carried over from past "wonders". Or hopefully that their opinions were dutifully ignored (more likely).

My next car? A '71 Cuda, MT, with a Hurst shifter with brake lock and T-handle; 383, 426 or 440 and I'll take it from there.

The over engineered vehicles these days coupled with a dearth of qualified techs has just steered me, after near 60 years, back to basics. Points, timing lights and a classic look (with or without the 8 track - who needs a $5k sound system?) without the headaches. Summit Racing et al is your friend.

Of course, I'll keep my V8 Touareg (as long as I can find electronic parts) for winter and hauling the kids. EVs?

siberian
The following 5 users liked this post by siberian:
helispud (06-03-2024), Hunky (06-04-2024), Ikone (06-03-2024), russm535il (06-04-2024), Tupper (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 08:30 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I'd argue that Tesla isn't getting away with it given their plummeting sales and inventory piling up.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/actual...ng-just-teslas
... that and Elon Musk is an utter ****

Last edited by DrKarlB; 06-03-2024 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:37 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
You can get huge discounts and deals on Taycans and even then you'd be losing money on the resale. We'll see how the EV only Cayman/Boxster sells but something tells me that Porsche will eventually offer a special Cayman/Boxster with ICE as their fears of lackluster EV sales materialize as is the case with the rest of the industry.
Same applies to almost all big expensive luxury sedans
Have you seen the used prices of big Audi's and AMG's ?
Old 06-03-2024, 08:49 PM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 84 Posts

https://www.thedrive.com/news/there-...he-911-in-2025

I hope there are some average joe manuals and not the ones picked up by speculators
Old 06-03-2024, 09:35 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
You wouldn't take a 918 as a "fun / weekend car"? I know I would.

To be honest, most of the 911 buyers do not buy the car, or even view the car, as a "fun / weekend" car. Most consider the 911 nowadays a GT cruiser, something you commute to work in and daily about 90% of the time.

The so-called "fun / weekend cars" in the current Porsche lineup are really the GT3/GT4 cars, either in regular or RS guise.

This isn't to say that no one buys a 911 as a "fun / weekend" car, but those buyers are the ever shrinking minority. Especially given the current price point and the fact that the 911, probably since at least the 996 generation, has not been "special" enough to reserve just for 2 days out of the week.

And the 911 is also far too practical to spend more time in the garage than on the road, which I guess is both a blessing and a curse.
To repair the battery on the 918 costs an obscene amount and most are just paper weights sitting in garages because these batteries are not easy to get even if you have the $$$

I’m in my 40s and have 2 young kids in school - I have zero desire to drive my 911 daily with them. Do i pick them up in the car once in a while - sure. Maybe if i didn’t have kids - I would entertain using 911 as a daily. Most of my neighbors that have a 911 or other sports cars, they are used strictly for the weekend.

Again I would venture to say MOST 911s are used for weekend duty - all you need to do is look at the used market with majority of 3-4yr old 911s that have less than 20k miles!

As far as GT cars - please help me get new GT3 lol. Its impossible unless you are ready to pay huge ADM.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:38 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

The next gt2rs will be at least as fast as a 2018 Senna, and spitting distance short of a 918 or P1 at 1/4 the price.

None of the manual or NA cars will come anywhere close.

The market for grand touring 911s is most of it, and always has been. Then there have been the track rats who want speed. Purists are with the collectors in a very very distant 3rd and 4th.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:59 AM
r4mi5awi
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

I drive mine maybe 3-4 days a week, that's if I'm not exhausted or mentally battered at work 😛
Old 06-04-2024, 01:39 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,933 Likes on 5,203 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
To repair the battery on the 918 costs an obscene amount and most are just paper weights sitting in garages because these batteries are not easy to get even if you have the $$$

I’m in my 40s and have 2 young kids in school - I have zero desire to drive my 911 daily with them. Do i pick them up in the car once in a while - sure. Maybe if i didn’t have kids - I would entertain using 911 as a daily. Most of my neighbors that have a 911 or other sports cars, they are used strictly for the weekend.

Again I would venture to say MOST 911s are used for weekend duty - all you need to do is look at the used market with majority of 3-4yr old 911s that have less than 20k miles!

As far as GT cars - please help me get new GT3 lol. Its impossible unless you are ready to pay huge ADM.
If you (not you specifically, but "you" generically) are putting 20k in 3 years, and only driving the car on weekends, that's some serious weekend jaunts.

There's 26 weeks in a year, and thus 52 weekend days, and over three years that give you something like 156 days, give or take.

If you just drove the car 156 days, and racked up 20k miles in those days, that means you're averaging 128 miles each day, every single weekend day, for 3 consecutive years.

That's some serious dedication.

For me personally, if I was putting in 128 miles each time I took out a 911, after about the 20th day, I would be bored to death and probably just sell the ******* car.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:58 AM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 954 Posts

If you (not you specifically, but "you" generically) are putting 20k in 3 years, and only driving the car on weekends, that's some serious weekend jaunts.

There's 26 weeks in a year, and thus 52 weekend days, and over three years that give you something like 156 days, give or take.

If you just drove the car 156 days, and racked up 20k miles in those days, that means you're averaging 128 miles each day, every single weekend day, for 3 consecutive years.

That's some serious dedication.

For me personally, if I was putting in 128 miles each time I took out a 911, after about the 20th day, I would be bored to death and probably just sell the ******* car.
or 64 miles per day. There are 52 weekends a year and thus 104 weekend days not counting holidays and 3 day weekend of course. My car will be 3 years old in 2 weeks. It had 14k miles. I hardly drive it on weekends.
Old 06-04-2024, 04:12 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

🤔 7K a year might not be as hard as you imagine …
Old 06-04-2024, 04:22 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
Exactly.
Let’s call a spade a spade here while we are at it. EV sales are poor, the majority of car buyers do NOT want them and the EV industry is struggling badly.
did you actually read the linked article, and look at the data in it? EV sales for most manufacturers are UP this year, some by a lot. Others are down, notably Tesla as @detansinn highlights but also GM and that’s because they discontinued the Bolt and had manufacturing issues with their new platform.
Old 06-04-2024, 08:53 AM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 422 Likes on 157 Posts

Let's be honest, if Porsche would sell in 2024 a brand new 911 from the 80's or 70's it could literally be the only car they sell forever with the demand it would get. Teens and Older people would absolutely pay more for it than a modern hybrid 911. This is what im trying to say in my post. All the digitization in the name of modern times or "everyone else is doing it" so we have to is a bunch of crap. The reason why people pay up hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars for older Porsches is not nostalgia or because the buyer is "old" , it's that they connect more with humans and people are willing to pay up for them. That is what Porsche should be striving to do. Im pretty sure the founder of the company would be doing that, unlike the "focus group" people

Last edited by Porsche992; 06-04-2024 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:23 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Glad to know we have some folks that were on the Porsche Focus Groups. I now know who to partially blame for the myriad idiocies that were allowed to be mass produced in the 992 or carried over from past "wonders". Or hopefully that their opinions were dutifully ignored (more likely).

My next car? A '71 Cuda, MT, with a Hurst shifter with brake lock and T-handle; 383, 426 or 440 and I'll take it from there.

The over engineered vehicles these days coupled with a dearth of qualified techs has just steered me, after near 60 years, back to basics. Points, timing lights and a classic look (with or without the 8 track - who needs a $5k sound system?) without the headaches. Summit Racing et al is your friend.

Of course, I'll keep my V8 Touareg (as long as I can find electronic parts) for winter and hauling the kids. EVs?

siberian
There is some real truth and good dose of common sense in this post.
I'm in the same boat and not really drawn to the enormous complexity that appears to be woven into these latest/greatest 911s. Waiting lists, allocations, price gouging, etc., are a serious turn off at this time also. If the market stays this way then I have owned my last 911 and enjoyed all of them.
Had the pleasure of driving a friend of a friends 2024 Dark Horse the other day and was just blown away by what an absolutely enjoyable package this car is. Not the fastest nor the best handling or what the brand image guys would have interest in. Manual transmission, great looks, good power, along with intoxicating normally aspirated selectable exhaust levels. Thinking that a DH might be a suitable pacifier until such time that the purchase of yet another 911 or Z06 becomes more of a buyer friendly environment.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:37 AM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
There is some real truth and good dose of common sense in this post.
I'm in the same boat and not really drawn to the enormous complexity that appears to be woven into these latest/greatest 911s. Waiting lists, allocations, price gouging, etc., are a serious turn off at this time also. If the market stays this way then I have owned my last 911 and enjoyed all of them.
Had the pleasure of driving a friend of a friends 2024 Dark Horse the other day and was just blown away by what an absolutely enjoyable package this car is. Not the fastest nor the best handling or what the brand image guys would have interest in. Manual transmission, great looks, good power, along with intoxicating normally aspirated selectable exhaust levels. Thinking that a DH might be a suitable pacifier until such time that the purchase of yet another 911 or Z06 becomes more of a buyer friendly environment.
if you liked the DH, get some seat time in a ‘19-‘20 GT350. You’ll save some money and have an absolute blast ringing out that motor to almost 9k rpm.
The following users liked this post:
dg108 (06-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche got it wrong I’ll explain