Sponsored by:

Porsche got it wrong I’ll explain

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2024, 02:54 PM
autozero
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
This is the whole thing. Taycan appeared to be a winner out of the gate but really crashed and burned afterwards. We see very of few of them on the road here in South Florida. I guess I am like the vast majority who has absolutely no intentions of purchasing an EV in forseeable future.
You can get huge discounts and deals on Taycans and even then you'd be losing money on the resale. We'll see how the EV only Cayman/Boxster sells but something tells me that Porsche will eventually offer a special Cayman/Boxster with ICE as their fears of lackluster EV sales materialize as is the case with the rest of the industry.
The following users liked this post:
rmb1973 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 03:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,932 Likes on 5,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
The connection drivers feel with an analog tach , the turning of a key, a manual transmission the sound of an engine is not related to age or nostalgia. The connection is human and connection inspires people of any age no matter how modern times have changed. .

When artists write songs most are still being written in guitars , pianos, drums that have not changed in centuries, even if iPads and computers are available that make the same sounds. No matter the genre you can go to any teen pop concert today and musicians are still playing those same instruments Mozart played.

when painters and designers work they do so with a pencil and physical paint like they did centuries ago to, not everything is done in an iPad.

if you look at driving as an art form (it is) it’s the exact same thing.

I think car manufacturers are getting it wrong by digitizing something that does not need to just because some focus group told them that’s what the new generation wants. Tesla gets away with it because it’s a new type of instrument. But to try change old instrument designs and digitize them for progress is wrong and removes the magic older people and younger people feel in a 911
Have you been part of a Porsche focus group?

I have.
detansinn (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 03:02 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
that is only applicable to a very tiny group of people
most people consider it a hassle and if given the choice they would rather not drive at all .
and car companies cater to the masses like any other business
if you are a restaurant owner and make a dish that only 1 % of customer order . It can be the greatest dish you make. You take it off the menu
A wonderful analogy that I've experienced first hand. We have a favorite Italian restaurant in Birmingham, AL, and when we're in town, that's our choice for dinner. Their Osso Bucco was incredible. We discovered on our last visit it was discontinued. Not enough orders to warrant the prior preparation and loss if it was not ordered in sufficient quantities.

On a similar note, I wonder if the discontinuation of several exterior colors in the past couple years was a result of a similar one percent phenomenon.
Old 06-01-2024, 03:06 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,171 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Have you been part of a Porsche focus group?

I have.
As have I. 👍
Oileater (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 03:33 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by autozero
You can get huge discounts and deals on Taycans and even then you'd be losing money on the resale. We'll see how the EV only Cayman/Boxster sells but something tells me that Porsche will eventually offer a special Cayman/Boxster with ICE as their fears of lackluster EV sales materialize as is the case with the rest of the industry.
I would imagine after checking local websites. Champion has 29 Taycans and Naples has 17.
Old 06-01-2024, 03:56 PM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Exactly.
Lets call a spade a spade here while we are at it. EV sales are poor, the majority of car buyers do NOT want them and the EV industry is struggling badly.
The article you're quoting literally talks about how it isn't that EV sales are poor, Tesla itself is just struggling. Other companies are still doing OK. Did you even read it?
detansinn (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 04:45 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 349 Likes on 236 Posts

Be fascinating to see how the .2 fares in the used market a few years down the line. Gonna take big ***** to run one of these tech-heavy things without CPO, as many do/will with the 991/992.1. I wouldn’t touch it 😵‍💫

Last edited by BondJ; 06-01-2024 at 04:51 PM.
russm535il (06-04-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 05:24 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by whatsshakin
The article you're quoting literally talks about how it isn't that EV sales are poor, Tesla itself is just struggling. Other companies are still doing OK. Did you even read it?
Sounds like you are the guy who needs the enlightenment. Google EV sales and learn something. EV sales are not going in the positive direction. Many auto manufacturers are pissing away billions on the production, marketing, and sales of EVs. There is really no secret here at this point.
russm535il (06-04-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 05:33 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
This is a Porsche forum and the car in question is a 911.
Most, if not all, of the owners of a 911 do not view driving as a hassle.
not sure I fully agree
I have had several 911 , and I don't view driving as a hassle, but at the same time for a DD I want apple car play , I want a decent radio , good head lights for night driving
and this what a non GT 911 is mostly used for
for my Gt cars, I careless about radio, apple car play etc , head lights
if Porsche cut some corners to keep the 911 alive, we should all be ok with that
also they have regulations in different countries that they have to accommodate so it is not only USA
lets hope the engineers can keep innovation going so they can keep delivering sporty engaging cars
wdr911 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 05:44 PM
Oileater
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
not sure I fully agree
I have had several 911 , and I don't view driving as a hassle, but at the same time for a DD I want apple car play , I want a decent radio , good head lights for night driving
and this what a non GT 911 is mostly used for
for my Gt cars, I careless about radio, apple car play etc , head lights
if Porsche cut some corners to keep the 911 alive, we should all be ok with that
also they have regulations in different countries that they have to accommodate so it is not only USA
lets hope the engineers can keep innovation going so they can keep delivering sporty engaging cars

agree.

I don’t think Porsche got it wrong at all. There’s still the GT3, the Sport Classic, the S/T and other limited run models coming.

I think Porsche didn’t do too badly. The new BMW M3 awd pre-hybridization is 4000lbs. The Merc C63 AMG hybrid is 4600-4700lbs. If this is what the GTS looks like and I’m happy with PDK, I’m pretty stoked. The car got faster and the engine might have gotten better.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oileater:
AlexCeres (06-01-2024), silversurfer6 (06-03-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 05:59 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,039 Posts

This is the whole thing. Taycan appeared to be a winner out of the gate but really crashed and burned afterwards. We see very of few of them on the road here in South Florida. I guess I am like the vast majority who has absolutely no intentions of purchasing an EV in forseeable future.
yes …. South Florida is the whole world. There is nothing else. You sound quite well traveled and worldly. Definitely. Which is why Porsche sold 1247 taycans in Q1 and 1930 911s. A 4 year old product is now 2/3 the sales of one of the most iconic automobiles made in history.

I do love watching some folks who know jack **** about Porsche’s business and haven’t ever read a finance report weigh in on how badly Porsche is serving its market. 🍿
Old 06-01-2024, 06:42 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
yes …. South Florida is the whole world. There is nothing else. You sound quite well traveled and worldly. Definitely. Which is why Porsche sold 1247 taycans in Q1 and 1930 911s. A 4 year old product is now 2/3 the sales of one of the most iconic automobiles made in history.

I do love watching some folks who know jack **** about Porsche’s business and haven’t ever read a finance report weigh in on how badly Porsche is serving its market. 🍿
Jeeeeezuuus Alex, calm down. We own two homes in the US, two condos in Europe, and have been to every state in this country, 18 Carribean Islands, South America, Central America, China, Japan,.... Been around or as you say "well traveled", quite well traveled and "wordly". LOL. Very foolish to make these types of assumptions my friend. Easy to see that you have some blind anger towards anyone who fails to share your perspectives

Last edited by Hunky; 06-01-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:47 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by justabout
It’s about designing in flexibility and saving money. I don’t like it either or the disappearance of hydraulic steering …..
Sounds like you are the guy who needs
the enlightenment. Google EV sales and learn something. EV sales are not going in the positive direction. Many auto manufacturers are pissing away billions on the production, marketing, and sales of EVs. There is really no secret here at this point.
My google skills must suck, all I can find is increasing sales numbers worldwide. Could you share your sources?

Old 06-02-2024, 12:45 AM
MOGI
Advanced

Received 125 Likes on 37 Posts

I think the underlying assumption here may need to be questioned - that a 911 should be an analog driver’s car.

Sure, a 911 has been that thus far as there was no such thing as a hybrid sports car until recently. But a 911 has survived all this time because it kept a formula of more accessible entry price + modern performance. I would argue that if Porsche stopped innovating the 911 with the times, it would fail to keep its place in the automotive ladder.

So, while I agree with the notion that analog appeals to the human senses better than anything digital, I don’t necessarily think a 911 is beholden to the analog world or should continue to be forever.

Lastly, we should all hold judgement until we finally drive the new car for ourselves. Who knows, perhaps it may be more exhilarating to the senses than the previous gen car.
The following 2 users liked this post by MOGI:
992.Turbo.S (06-02-2024), silversurfer6 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 01:26 AM
Spanish Charge
2nd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Porsche992;1947076

When artists write songs most are still being written in guitars , pianos, drums that have not changed in centuries, even if iPads and computers are available that make the same sounds. No matter the genre you can go to any teen pop concert today and musicians are still playing those same instruments Mozart played

[/QUOTE]

this might be the dumbest quote I’ve read on the internet for some time. Do you have any idea how much instruments have changed in 300 years?

take a simple look at the harpsichord vs the modern piano, or what an 18th century guitar looked like. I’m so curious as to what you think a drum kit was like in Mozart’s day?

if you’re going to invoke classical music, that is a terrible analogy, as Beethoven’s music (just 50 years later) changed significantly in part due to the improvement in instruments.

i feel people just make stuff up (which they think to be true in their heads), and the internet provides a bizarre platform for simple thoughts (and thought) that would have never previously left a house or bar.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spanish Charge:
Ikone (06-03-2024), silversurfer6 (06-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche got it wrong I’ll explain