Sponsored by:

Porsche got it wrong I’ll explain

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2024, 10:52 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
if you liked the DH, get some seat time in a ‘19-‘20 GT350. You’ll save some money and have an absolute blast ringing out that motor to almost 9k rpm.
Yes, after driving the Dark Horse I would really like to do that. Those GT350s have an incredible sound when properly run out.
Old 06-04-2024, 11:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,654 Likes on 5,109 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
🤔 7K a year might not be as hard as you imagine …
As a weekend car?

My current daily racks up about 8k annually.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 11:59 AM
suffer
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
There's 26 weeks in a year, and thus 52 weekend days, and over three years that give you something like 156 days, give or take.
There's 52 weeks in a year.
The following 2 users liked this post by suffer:
AlexCeres (06-04-2024), Icegrill (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 01:00 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,147 Likes on 611 Posts

Looks like my idea of selling a Dodge hellcat in Norway isn’t gonna work that well?
Old 06-04-2024, 01:07 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
If you (not you specifically, but "you" generically) are putting 20k in 3 years, and only driving the car on weekends, that's some serious weekend jaunts.

There's 26 weeks in a year, and thus 52 weekend days, and over three years that give you something like 156 days, give or take.

If you just drove the car 156 days, and racked up 20k miles in those days, that means you're averaging 128 miles each day, every single weekend day, for 3 consecutive years.

That's some serious dedication.

For me personally, if I was putting in 128 miles each time I took out a 911, after about the 20th day, I would be bored to death and probably just sell the ******* car.
Most people use weekend cars for long trips or weekly trips to their vacation homes. Drive from NYC to Hamptons a few times a week, it adds up.

Also many 3yr old 911s have way less than 10k miles.

Daily driver is at least 12k miles per year in most places in US.

Well not everyone is fortunate as you to have a stable of exotics to keep themselves entertained. I do agree that having more than 1 fun car is always the better way but folks may be limited by garage space depending where they live.

Last edited by R N M; 06-04-2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:52 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 813 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
Let's be honest, if Porsche would sell in 2024 a brand new 911 from the 80's or 70's it could literally be the only car they sell forever with the demand it would get. Teens and Older people would absolutely pay more for it than a modern hybrid 911. …
No way.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:57 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by 4carl
Looks like my idea of selling a Dodge hellcat in Norway isn’t gonna work that well?
Lots of Euro Green Weenie heads explode over cars like that. So stupid. Looks as if they are going to force this Lamda BS on us while China has over 300 coal fired power plants under construction.
Old 06-04-2024, 03:12 PM
DamonsCarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Let's be honest, if Porsche would sell in 2024 a brand new 911 from the 80's or 70's it could literally be the only car they sell forever with the demand it would get. Teens and Older people would absolutely pay more for it than a modern hybrid 911. This is what im trying to say in my post. All the digitization in the name of modern times or "everyone else is doing it" so we have to is a bunch of crap. The reason why people pay up hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars for older Porsches is not nostalgia or because the buyer is "old" , it's that they connect more with humans and people are willing to pay up for them. That is what Porsche should be striving to do. Im pretty sure the founder of the company would be doing that, unlike the "focus group" people
You know that the reason any carmaker is not selling a design of their's from the 80s or 70s is because it would not be legal to do so, at least in the quantities we are talking about. Regulation is the reason why many changes have been made in automotive design. If you people want this situation to change, you need to be putting more thought into who you vote for.
The following 2 users liked this post by DamonsCarrera:
detansinn (06-04-2024), Hunky (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:01 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by silversurfer6
Generally most people want to get an electric car. Good or bad the goverments and the manufacturers have convinced most people. I will not get into the pros and cons - and I agree there are lots of cons - but I do not see demand of hybrids and full EVs changing. I do see though the demand of ICE only cars decreasing.
I can’t speak for the rest of the planet, but my own demand for an EV is even less than it was 1 year ago. Every day I desire a car with electric motors less than I did the day before.

The faster they make them, the less I want them. It’s too bad my BMW has an electric motor. It’s needed for that mild hybrid start-stop garbage, but I’d rather it have no electric motors at all. I’m even fine if the car was a bit slower and louder.

I love burning gasoline. I love the smell. I want cars to be less efficient and louder. My R8 with its V10 is just so satisfying to listen to, and to smell afterward. And so what if we are adding CO2 to the air? Good! We already have too much population on this planet. Get rid of them! Besides, the Carboniferous was a great period in Earth’s history—dragonflies 5 feet wide! How awesome would it be to see those again?
Hunky (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:07 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts

The hate for EV's is....quite odd.
The following 2 users liked this post by pbcsd:
detansinn (06-04-2024), suffer (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:29 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,132 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Let's be honest, if Porsche would sell in 2024 a brand new 911 from the 80's or 70's it could literally be the only car they sell forever with the demand it would get. Teens and Older people would absolutely pay more for it than a modern hybrid 911.
I disagree, because the 992.2 hybrid model is already priced out of the middle class. I can't see people paying more here. With the 992.2, a new 911 is no longer something that's aspirational with some saving and a few lifestyle compromises. Oh, and there are no "teens" buying these cars new without family money. I am sure that comment will trigger some little brat to tell me that he "works hard", but sorry, it is still Mommy's and Daddy's money, living or non-living.

Porsche would go bankrupt selling air cooled 911s as their only car. How do I know this? Because they nearly did so in the 90s.
There have been a of lot regulations in the past 40 years that have taken those old designs off of the road. The safety improvements driven by regulations have saved countless lives. People complain about emissions and MPG requirements, but the modern cars make the kind of power we could only dream of decades ago while also being incredibly efficient. No, I don't want to go back to points-based ignition systems, horrible electrics/relays/regulators, and single digit fuel economy. I have zero nostalgia when it comes to fighting the constant corrosion battle to keep cars of that vintage on the road.

This is what im trying to say in my post. All the digitization in the name of modern times or "everyone else is doing it" so we have to is a bunch of crap. The reason why people pay up hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars for older Porsches is not nostalgia or because the buyer is "old" , it's that they connect more with humans and people are willing to pay up for them. That is what Porsche should be striving to do. Im pretty sure the founder of the company would be doing that, unlike the "focus group" people
Have you ever been in a car accident where an HVAC switch leaves an imprint on your leg? Much the plastic that has invaded automotive interiors is driven by safety regulations. Anything that protrudes or is sticking out can be a problem in a collision. Folks mock the Braun shift selector, but I am sure that it delivers a benefit during an accident as something less likely to impale you.

Porsche does precious little because "everyone else is doing it". As for digitization, they add things like rain mode, because they were tired of being sued by widows of people with more money than skill (Oh, that rain mode warning message gets logged in the blackbox of the car in the event that ignore it and bin it). Sure, Porsche did some clear cost cutting like the dash and the start button, but if they did that when everyone else was doing it, it would have been a decade or so ago. Reminder that people are spending real money on Carrera Ts with PDKs, because they worry about driving a manual in traffic -- this is the market and the people buying new 911s.

People spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on an older Porsche are doing so, because they have a garage(s) filled with other cars. Those six figure air cooled cars aren't being driven thousands of miles every year. In reality, they're a place to park money and eventually end up back on bring-a-trailer with 60 miles added by the seller over 2 years. The tragedy is that those cars aren't being driven -- the "connection" thesis is irrelevant. Like watches and everything else, people buy these things, because they become the thing to buy. About twenty five years or so ago, you could come across used aircooled 911s in the $3500-5000 range. Don't confuse speculation with value.

The SPOILER here is that most people buying new 911s don't really drive them. So, none of this experience or connection stuff really matters. The average 992 is driven a couple thousand miles per year, if that. I've had perfectly wonderful conversations with people who just like the feeling of having one in the garage. For some, it's accomplishment. For others, it's status. Granted, that's not all buyers and RennList definitely leans towards the enthusiast side of the spectrum, but at the end of the day, Porsche knows who they're selling to.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:33 PM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I disagree, because the 992.2 hybrid model is already priced out of the middle class. I can't see people paying more here. With the 992.2, a new 911 is no longer something that's aspirational with some saving and a few lifestyle compromises. Oh, and there are no "teens" buying these cars new without family money. I am sure that comment will trigger some little brat to tell me that he "works hard", but sorry, it is still Mommy's and Daddy's money, living or non-living.

Porsche would go bankrupt selling air cooled 911s as their only car. How do I know this? Because they nearly did so in the 90s.
There have been a of lot regulations in the past 40 years that have taken those old designs off of the road. The safety improvements driven by regulations have saved countless lives. People complain about emissions and MPG requirements, but the modern cars make the kind of power we could only dream of decades ago while also being incredibly efficient. No, I don't want to go back to points-based ignition systems, horrible electrics/relays/regulators, and single digit fuel economy. I have zero nostalgia when it comes to fighting the constant corrosion battle to keep cars of that vintage on the road.

Have you ever been in a car accident where an HVAC switch leaves an imprint on your leg? Much the plastic that has invaded automotive interiors is driven by safety regulations. Anything that protrudes or is sticking out can be a problem in a collision. Folks mock the Braun shift selector, but I am sure that it delivers a benefit during an accident as something less likely to impale you.

Porsche does precious little because "everyone else is doing it". As for digitization, they add things like rain mode, because they were tired of being sued by widows of people with more money than skill (Oh, that rain mode warning message gets logged in the blackbox of the car in the event that ignore it and bin it). Sure, Porsche did some clear cost cutting like the dash and the start button, but if they did that when everyone else was doing it, it would have been a decade or so ago. Reminder that people are spending real money on Carrera Ts with PDKs, because they worry about driving a manual in traffic -- this is the market and the people buying new 911s.

People spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on an older Porsche are doing so, because they have a garage(s) filled with other cars. Those six figure air cooled cars aren't being driven thousands of miles every year. In reality, they're a place to park money and eventually end up back on bring-a-trailer with 60 miles added by the seller over 2 years. The tragedy is that those cars aren't being driven -- the "connection" thesis is irrelevant. Like watches and everything else, people buy these things, because they become the thing to buy. About twenty five years or so ago, you could come across used aircooled 911s in the $3500-5000 range. Don't confuse speculation with value.

The SPOILER here is that most people buying new 911s don't really drive them. So, none of this experience or connection stuff really matters. The average 992 is driven a couple thousand miles per year, if that. I've had perfectly wonderful conversations with people who just like the feeling of having one in the garage. For some, it's accomplishment. For others, it's status. Granted, that's not all buyers and RennList definitely leans towards the enthusiast side of the spectrum, but at the end of the day, Porsche knows who they're selling to.
I like your style!👍🏽
detansinn (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:41 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by pbcsd
I don't see any "hate" at all.
EVs are not for everyone while most enthusiasts are not allowing the anti-fossil fuel pound offs to intimidate us into silence. Ya want an EV then go get one, there are certainly enough of them out there looking for a home and I hear there are fantastic deals if you are OK with what is essentially a throw away vehicle if you are able to see them for what they are.
Very few of us are "OK" with EVs being forced on the public. The EU came out with some ridiculous mandate not to long ago that all new consumer vehicles over there had to be electric by a certain date. This was obviously an untenably stupid idea as this dictate was repealed 6 mos later.
Why does any of this need to be shoved down our throats? Let the technology evolve and develop, nothing wrong with that approach.
Old 06-04-2024, 05:52 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts

You misunderstand.

Its not that people hate EVs - it’s that most EV supporters want ALL cars to be EV only!

I could care less if you like Teslas and Taycans and Rivians but why are you going after low production cars like a 911 which spend majority of the time sitting in a damn garage. Same goes for Boxster / Cayman - they add zero to overall environmental pollution. Its just complete overreach by the government groups.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:04 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 817 Posts

You misunderstood, it’s not a hate for EV’s.

It’s a love for 5 foot wide dragonflies.

It must have been awesome when Earth had those. I just want to bring that back. Make Earth Great Again!
detansinn (06-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Porsche got it wrong I’ll explain