Sponsored by:

Porsche got it wrong I’ll explain

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 06:02 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
My google skills must suck, all I can find is increasing sales numbers worldwide. Could you share your sources?

Additionally there is lots of misinformation on the taycan.

In 2023 they had a growth of 17% on the Taycan and they sold 41k cars.

Yes first Q1 2024 the taycan was down in sales but like cayenne last year, it was in the middle of a facelist so dealers did not really have cars to sell.

2025 is a decisive year for Porsche at least for Taycan and the Macan. I think sales will increase and Macan EV wil pass the 100k cars mark and the Taycan will continue growing slowly. Time will tell. 2026 is the decicive year for the 911 - they will probably pass the 60k cars mark.

Generally most people want to get an electric car. Good or bad the goverments and the manufacturers have convinced most people. I will not get into the pros and cons - and I agree there are lots of cons - but I do not see demand of hybrids and full EVs changing. I do see though the demand of ICE only cars decreasing.

As I have mentioned various times I no more have an opinion on cars electrification. It is what it is, it is a fact, it is already here and since I like buying new cars I have somehow accepted it purchase wise and try to see the benefits.

Again if you are less than a certain age - what will you do. Driving older cars for ever and stop buying new tech cars?

Last edited by silversurfer6; 06-02-2024 at 06:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 06:12 AM
silversurfer6
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
This is the whole thing. Taycan appeared to be a winner out of the gate but really crashed and burned afterwards. We see very of few of them on the road here in South Florida. I guess I am like the vast majority who has absolutely no intentions of purchasing an EV in forseeable future.
Please explain how the Taycan has crashed and burned? Because resale value has come down due to a double range facelist car.

Unless there is a crystall ball we do not know if the taycan is now going down in sales. The only real fact we have is that for 2023 sales were a massive 17% up - so we can say accurately that it is doing very well so far.
Old 06-02-2024, 10:27 AM
Indyxc
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
The connection drivers feel with an analog tach , the turning of a key, a manual transmission the sound of an engine is not related to age or nostalgia. The connection is human and connection inspires people of any age no matter how modern times have changed. .

When artists write songs most are still being written in guitars , pianos, drums that have not changed in centuries, even if iPads and computers are available that make the same sounds. No matter the genre you can go to any teen pop concert today and musicians are still playing those same instruments Mozart played.

when painters and designers work they do so with a pencil and physical paint like they did centuries ago to, not everything is done in an iPad.

if you look at driving as an art form (it is) it’s the exact same thing.

I think car manufacturers are getting it wrong by digitizing something that does not need to just because some focus group told them that’s what the new generation wants. Tesla gets away with it because it’s a new type of instrument. But to try change old instrument designs and digitize them for progress is wrong and removes the magic older people and younger people feel in a 911
Agree, just came to this forum to see what people thought of the .2 release. I originally wanted to buy a 992.1 911. I drove it, it, and already thought the dash was too digital, too generic, the entire car too refined too quiet. It already felt like any digital interior.

This new one is jusrt a nail in the coffin. I bought a 991 generation because of the analog gages.
The following 3 users liked this post by Indyxc:
detansinn (06-04-2024), Porsche992 (06-02-2024), russm535il (06-04-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:10 AM
Bryan Simmons
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

Ya. Tesla should be Tesla and the Porsche 911 should be the Porsche 911. I could give a crap less about the rest of Porsche, do what you want. The 911 should be different. Not how the manufacturers do it though so a Tesla 911 994 will be out in what, 4 or 5 years?
Porsche992 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:24 AM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 422 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
As have I. 👍
I honestly didn't think they actually had focus groups, that's ridiculous and shows lack of good leadership
Old 06-02-2024, 11:27 AM
Porsche992
Pro

Originally Posted by Spanish Charge
this might be the dumbest quote I’ve read on the internet for some time. Do you have any idea how much instruments have changed in 300 years?

take a simple look at the harpsichord vs the modern piano, or what an 18th century guitar looked like. I’m so curious as to what you think a drum kit was like in Mozart’s day?

if you’re going to invoke classical music, that is a terrible analogy, as Beethoven’s music (just 50 years later) changed significantly in part due to the improvement in instruments.

i feel people just make stuff up (which they think to be true in their heads), and the internet provides a bizarre platform for simple thoughts (and thought) that would have never previously left a house or bar.
Im actually a musician. A piano in 2024 is still played the same way it was when invented in 1700 on the other hand what we are seeing and what im talking about is that the 911 should not change the way its driven for the sake of changing it.

Last edited by Porsche992; 06-02-2024 at 11:56 AM.
russm535il (06-04-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:29 AM
jstap808
Racer

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I'd argue that Tesla isn't getting away with it given their plummeting sales and inventory piling up.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/actual...ng-just-teslas
well I’d argue that’s because of the crap quality and less desire for evs but I’m sure ugly digitized interiors are also part of the issue
Old 06-02-2024, 11:41 AM
omaralt
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 87 Posts

i think what we all need to realize is that we are a dying breed; those of us who actually enjoy driving. i remember how excited i was to turn 15 to get my drivers permit (had it on day 1) and then how excited i was to turn 16 to get my license. I worked my butt off and bought a 1988 honda civic with a 5 spd manual that i hand washed and waxed every week. i tinkered in the engine. changed the oil. changed the brakes, shocks, etc. modified it. Kids these days dont care. i was shocked at how many 16-20 year olds that dont even have a license! they dont care to drive. they uber or whatever. So porsche and other manufacturers are looking to the future which is them. They need to electrify the cars. add multiple screens. make everything digital. a manual transmission?? whats that??

The only reason i drove BMW and porsche exclusively in the last 10 years is because they offered a manual. As they slowly get rid of it then it is kind of freeing. i no longer am limited to them. i can now explore mclaren, aston martin, etc. but i know that the last nice manual car i purchase will stay in my garage forever.
russm535il (06-04-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:59 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 74 Posts

Porsche knows that they can release any new model and that a bunch of doctors, lawyers and whatever will line up to buy the latest and the greatest just to show that they have the latest and greatest to their neighbors. Those customers are Porsche's bread and butter. They walk in the showroom and pick a bloated 200k base Carrera because they like the color and the shiny crest. At this point Porsche could release a lousy version and it wouldn't matter, people would still line up to buy it. Porsche has the best marketing department in the world. Most Porsche buyers are not picky Rennlisters.
The following 4 users liked this post by Inrev:
Crusje (06-02-2024), Drifting (06-02-2024), NewShockerGuy (06-06-2024), Salj (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 12:06 PM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 328 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
that is only applicable to a very tiny group of people
most people consider it a hassle and if given the choice they would rather not drive at all .
and car companies cater to the masses like any other business
if you are a restaurant owner and make a dish that only 1 % of customer order . It can be the greatest dish you make. You take it off the menu
But you’re making an argument that would apply logically to buyers of a daily commuter vehicle, Hyundai hatchback etc. Most buyers of those just want the easiest less hassle way to drive it to work or the shops etc.
The OP here in this forum we are specifically talking about the Porsche 911. A vehicle that is overwhelmingly purchased as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle, largely with the fun of driving it being the motivating factor and not just how practical or easy it is to take the kids to school, do the shopping or drive to work.
Porsche 911 buyers are different customers to the market you describe in your post.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:08 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Originally Posted by Marcha
But you’re making an argument that would apply logically to buyers of a daily commuter vehicle, Hyundai hatchback etc. Most buyers of those just want the easiest less hassle way to drive it to work or the shops etc.
The OP here in this forum we are specifically talking about the Porsche 911. A vehicle that is overwhelmingly purchased as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle, largely with the fun of driving it being the motivating factor and not just how practical or easy it is to take the kids to school, do the shopping or drive to work.
Porsche 911 buyers are different customers to the market you describe in your post.
Exactly right ! The 911 is and always be a drivers car, that's the magic. Start removing the pieces and it will still sell great but no magic
Old 06-02-2024, 01:20 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 83 Posts

I own a 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range, a 2023 Volvo XC60 plug in hybrid, and a 2020 911 C4S. Honestly, they all serve their purpose wonderfully.

The Tesla Y is a great car to drive, steering is tight, acceleration is sublime, tech is pretty cool, my wife drives it and loves not getting gas. I wouldn't ever say consumers don't want EV's, they are the future IMO.

My son drives the Volvo as do I occassionally (too much snow for the Porsche let's say). We use it for longer road trips where we simply don't want to wait the 15-25 min to charge the Tesla or hockey tournaments in the middle of nowhere. It's safe, quick as hell, and hardly ever needs gas. Think we've used 30 litres of gas in the last 60 days. Also love that similar to the Tesla is has one pedal driving, albeit less aggressive.

The 911 is simply a different beast altogether. Would be odd for it to go fully EV, especially with the Taycan around serving that purpose. I love the analog speedometer and clock on it, and turning the ignition, but all things change over time.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:30 PM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcsd
I own a 2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range, a 2023 Volvo XC60 plug in hybrid, and a 2020 911 C4S. Honestly, they all serve their purpose wonderfully.

The Tesla Y is a great car to drive, steering is tight, acceleration is sublime, tech is pretty cool, my wife drives it and loves not getting gas. I wouldn't ever say consumers don't want EV's, they are the future IMO.

My son drives the Volvo as do I occassionally (too much snow for the Porsche let's say). We use it for longer road trips where we simply don't want to wait the 15-25 min to charge the Tesla or hockey tournaments in the middle of nowhere. It's safe, quick as hell, and hardly ever needs gas. Think we've used 30 litres of gas in the last 60 days. Also love that similar to the Tesla is has one pedal driving, albeit less aggressive.

The 911 is simply a different beast altogether. Would be odd for it to go fully EV, especially with the Taycan around serving that purpose. I love the analog speedometer and clock on it, and turning the ignition, but all things change over time.
Agree, I have the same situation. Each car serves it’s purpose.
I drive for work 140 miles a day, use Rivian R1T for that. Put 24k miles in 7 months. It’s an amazing truck.
used to use $325 of gas a week in my macan, my weekly home charging is $77. Considering that it’s the least efficient of EVs.
Wife has X7 that we use for cross country trips. And it’s her daily.
7MT GTS, in town driving and weekend drives for myself.
I think until you own an EV, you don’t realize its place. Prior to owning one, I always had suspicions about that.

Last edited by GTS2022; 06-02-2024 at 02:02 PM.
AlexCeres (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 02:39 PM
r4mi5awi
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

There's no symmetry in the interior design language for me. You have a full digital instrument cluster but the sport chrono clock remains analog? My OCD couldn't live with it during daily drives. If you're gonna commit to full digitial interior, then do it ala BMW and Mercedes. I wouldn't be surprised if the 994 goes full haptic steering wheel controls and digital sport chrono ****. :/
Drifting (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 02:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,932 Likes on 5,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcha
Categorically not true, at least not in the U.S.

Quick Reply: Porsche got it wrong I’ll explain