Sponsored by:

992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 06:39 AM
Stephen Shi
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by phefner
Just got done watching the SavageGeese video. One of the better ones.

Question I have for us Track Rats. If Jorge was 100% at the start and close to 0 at the end of his 7:20 ish Nurburgring run, what would us mere mortals experience over a 25 minute HPDE? How do we then get the battery back to 100%?

And then repeat the session 1.5 hours later for another 25 minutes.

Thoughts?
cooling lap become cooling laps, let extra turbo boost recharge the battery, dont forget to switch driving mode too as it affects the charging/ discharging strategy.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:06 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 287 Posts

People seem pretty confident that a manual transmission will be available. I know they left space in the boxes for the electric drive component, but i don't believe there has been an example of electrification existing with a manual box by anyone to date. It appears the base engine will still be available. Two different displacements are listed on the site for the respective cars. I assume the 3.0 will get a manual. I doubt this 3.6 ever will.

Last edited by Ceepe; 05-30-2024 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-30-2024, 07:12 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,074 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
People seem pretty confident that a manual transmission will be available. I know they left space in the boxes for the electric drive component, but i don't believe there has been an example of electrification existing with a manual box by anyone to date. It appears the base engine will still be available, I assume that will get a manual. I doubt this 3.6 ever will.
In before the random poster states that the Honda CRZ had a 115hp hybrid manual.

They have been done before, but not with 400+ lb ft of torque in a high performance car. So it’s a bit apples to oranges.

Current manual design is not compatible with the new hybrid system (transmission motor in PDK specifically).

Also with 718 going EV (only other manual platform at Porsche) and the 992.2 reducing manual availability throughout the range, I wouldn’t expect Porsche to spend millions to develop a new manual transmission. Porsche doesn’t even offer the manual in China, their largest market.

It’s far easier to just keep what they have, and offer the manual on special editions and a few models like T, S, upcoming Turbo and GT3’s. So I would expect manuals on non-hybrids only.
The following users liked this post:
Oileater (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 10:14 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by renn.tp
I’m not one to jump on the new model hate trains, but this really bothers me. Come on, Porsche!
Right on. I am not saying that the different looks are bad but instead of selling Sport Design packages that use to mean the change of the entire front and back bumpers for thousands of dollars/euros, they should just sell and name it for what it is, "Painted Bumpers", and charge accordingly. Will customers really buy into this? Maybe the less observant ones but even a blind Karen can see that now the bumper "upgrade" means just paint..

Last edited by TheGreatJ; 05-30-2024 at 08:11 PM.
Fullyield (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 10:23 AM
HV1
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like there's an opportunity to further differentiate the T by adding the e-turbo but not the PDK motor. This should allow for the manual transmission while reducing lag on the "driver focused" model. It makes even more sense if the S becomes a hybrid with significantly more power/torque, leaving a pretty big gap in the lineup. That said, I don't know what kind of performance gains could be expected from this configuration, and at what cost (specifically weight).
Old 05-30-2024, 10:26 AM
Cachaco
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

Anyone knows if the McDonald's quality backup camera has been updated? Would be good to retrofit to my 992.1 T
Old 05-30-2024, 10:33 AM
pal
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Cachaco
Anyone knows if the McDonald's quality backup camera has been updated? Would be good to retrofit to my 992.1 T
Have McDonald’s fries become crispier over the years?
Cachaco (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 10:36 AM
pal
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by HV1
It seems like there's an opportunity to further differentiate the T by adding the e-turbo but not the PDK motor. This should allow for the manual transmission while reducing lag on the "driver focused" model. It makes even more sense if the S becomes a hybrid with significantly more power/torque, leaving a pretty big gap in the lineup. That said, I don't know what kind of performance gains could be expected from this configuration, and at what cost (specifically weight).
Since the base motor is basically a LEGO variation of the 992.1 motor, adding a manual should be a no-brainer, in a T. Though, would be cool to see the e-turbo, by itself, and a manual. I suspect that won’t happen as R&D costs are likely quite high for this “small” a change, that buys them nothing besides a more responsive motor.
alaris (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:00 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Push vs. twist a plastic thingy. Same but different.

At its best its great branding. A company that does the "key" version above vs. the generic start/stop button can be considered cool and different. People like (and have always valued) something different. Now Porsche is quite willingly giving away some of the essential elements to the brand (minor ones to be honest but still)..
bb964 (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:22 AM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 421 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s

Somebody pointed out this ledge and now I can’t un-see it. Looks like an underbite to me and the Porsche lettering seems to be integrated more poorly than before in the tail lights. Need to see it in person but to me the tails might be my least favorite design aspect with the update. Most other aspects I think will likely age well.
This looks very odd.
alaris (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:23 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Originally Posted by J Irwan
The main bumper is pretty much the same
(standard vs. SD kit vs GTS), but after playing around I think the new body kit with angular shape grows on me.

I like it best with just the SD front and the SD side skit, and leave the back black just like GTS color-scheme.

You have to see the 360 3D View as it show photo quality rendering: 911 Carrera | Porsche Car Configurator.

What do you think ?

I actually think the back looks better when it's painted in body color. It makes the whole car look lower and wider (read: meaner) However, the front would look even better if the splitter was painted in body colour too (as per 992.1 Sport Design Bumper). I also noticed when looking really carefully that the aerokit adds some minor modifications to the front splitter. It's a tad lower and protrudes out more when added. That in body color would be the optimal.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:32 AM
InfiniteSmiles
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pal
I agree with you that tuners need to ensure everything plays well together. Then these cars will make monster power.

Unlike current cars, where upping the boost map and fueling, and letting the ECU adjust other things to within its safety guardrails, these hybrid motors are already making a ton of boost. I’m not a tuning expert, but feels like a different tuning paradigm with the 992.2 t-hybrids. Even the Porsche engineer on the savagegeese video talked about, for example, how hard it was to tune the e-motor to do the job of the wastegate, Tuners also need to understand how the battery and e-motor work during various regen cycles, so these don’t prematurely deplete the battery, or cause overheating etc. Just feels like a lot of new learning for them before we get fully working, safe, tunes. I think.
I think tuning the 992.2 GTS will be a nightmare, because so many new components are interdependent and need to work in perfect harmony for optimal performance. Eventually, it may never happen the traditional way, but rather see people replace the Varta V4Drive batteries with more powerful solutions once they become available over the years.
The following 5 users liked this post by InfiniteSmiles:
Fullyield (05-30-2024), Oileater (05-30-2024), pal (05-30-2024), subaru335i (05-30-2024), verstraete (05-30-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:48 AM
InfiniteSmiles
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by J Irwan
The main bumper is pretty much the same
(standard vs. SD kit vs GTS), but after playing around I think the new body kit with angular shape grows on me.

I like it best with just the SD front and the SD side skit, and leave the back black just like GTS color-scheme.

You have to see the 360 3D View as it show photo quality rendering: 911 Carrera | Porsche Car Configurator.

What do you think ?

The Base looks actually pretty good. How the GTS should have looked like IMO. Huge dislike however for the cut in which the PORSCHE lettering is placed.

3D view with real world environment mapping / ray tracing (check the rear view mirrors) is nothing short of awesome

Last edited by InfiniteSmiles; 05-30-2024 at 11:50 AM.
iso87 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-30-2024, 11:51 AM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteSmiles
I think tuning the 992.2 GTS will be a nightmare, because so many new components are interdependent and need to work in perfect harmony for optimal performance. Eventually, it may never happen the traditional way, but rather see people replace the Varta V4Drive batteries with more powerful solutions once they become available over the years.
Im sure someone will figure it out eventually but yeah I agree tuning is going to be much more difficult and have a hard ceiling with that electric turbo. Because there is no wastegate and the computer is directly controlling the turbo shaft speed it probably won't be as easy to just "trick" the DME to think the boost is lower than it is...but who knows!
Old 05-30-2024, 12:10 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 421 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreatJ
At its best its great branding. A company that does the "key" version above vs. the generic start/stop button can be considered cool and different. People like (and have always valued) something different. Now Porsche is quite willingly giving away some of the essential elements to the brand (minor ones to be honest but still)..
Porsche’s explanation is that 911s in motorsports now use a push button to start (on the left of course), so this change is in keeping with modern racing heritage.

(Keep in mind, the real reason - not the myth - that Porsche had the start key on the left was to reduce the copper wiring in order to cost costs).

Nevertheless, I could have forgiven the push button.

However, the implementation is soooo bad. This is obviously a "tacked-on" part to fit into the existing hole in the lower dash, without redesigning the lower dash.

In the photo here, the two plastic trim pieces on the left and right of the start assembly are there to cover up the resulting gaps in the lower dash. Although there is a shadow under the start assembly, I bet a plastic "plug" piece now covers original semicircular hole for the twist-to-start toggle.

I know Porsche couldn’t redesign the whole car for a mid-model refresh, but the new technological changes have forced them to “tack-on” bits and pieces here or there in a Frankensteinish manner.

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info