Sponsored by:

ADMs dropping

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 09:17 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ADMfighter63
My SA typically does MSRP for locals/repeats/loyal clients of other brands they sell. the ADMs seem to really come into play for first-timers to their store, which i think is pretty fair. i think that if i owned a dealership, that's how i'd do business (MSRP for locals/repeats; ADM on sportscars for others...but just slight ADM, below top of market)
this is why the market is the way it is. "yeah, lets rip people off best we can ... great business model."

i assure you, buying multiple cars from a dealer doesn't mean anything other then you bought multiple cars from the same dealer. from the dealers vantage point all they care about is meeting x requirements and getting x number of favorable reviews. ripping people off by charging above MSRP is just a cherry on top. its not about the dealer its about the car.

if someone wants to buy a Porsche they should be able to go into a dealership and buy a Porsche. should you have to wait if you want a new build? yes. should you have to wait even longer if you want a new build on a new 911 knowing that Porsche will openly tell you they want to produce fewer cars the market demands (which I may not personally agree with but is up to them and i can see the market advantage), yes! should you have to wait, fight for a car and then pay 10% - 50% over what the manufacture suggest, hell no!

if you want to discourage first time Porsche buyers (only applying ADMs to them) and only sell at MSRP to "loyal" customers that is wrong on some many levels i don't even know where to begin. keep in mind folks, back when the 991 model came out could easily walk into a dealer and get a 3%-7% discount off MSRP. i can see how a dealer might give a "loyal" client a higher discount as a repeat buyer but outside of that, this type of thinking (charging above ADM) is part of what is causing the current 911 market conditions.

as many have already mentioned, i too am seeing the market begin to settle ... i got a call from a dealer two days ago advising me they discounted a model i want $2K off the current list price (because the car sat there for over 45 days) but even with that discount it was still priced $15K above the MSRP build sheet and its a current year car. i told the dealer i would buy it today (pay cash or finance it, whichever they prefer) if it was at MSRP. it would still bother me because i think about the depreciation (because at the end of the day, these cars will all depreciate) but would agree to pay new sticker for a used car because its CPO'd and has the additional two year warranty. but until it gets to that point i won't buy. will i miss out? maybe, but we all have to be able to make these decision to help correct the market. don't give the dealers the power. even with the CPO and at MSRP (the dealer would have sold the same car twice in 14 months) they made plenty of money on the original sale and would also make plenty of money on the second sale ... it is the amount of money and greed that has to just settle down.

Last edited by tmslc; 02-10-2023 at 09:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tmslc:
993RUF (02-11-2023), FirstPorscheGT3 (02-16-2023), One N Done (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 10:04 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,368 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Oh, come on.

Maybe it’s because a $60k markup is so ridiculous, that’s why. We are humans and we have pride. The idea that the $60k is literally pure greed in someone else’s pocket rubs many of us the wrong way. And it’s for a friggin 911–which while great isn’t even that special of a car.

And to say that it is the “only” way to get a 911 is ridiculous. Getting a 911 is easy. Why should anyone ever be so desperate to get a 911 (or nearly any other sports car) that they will hand out $60k to pad somebody’s wallet for it?
I was referring to a normal ADM of around 10K for non GT cars, and you decided to use a ridiculous 60K ADM to illustrate your point. Nobody is marking up a base or S that much. In many cases it is wait for a year or so or pay 10K ADM. I would rather swallow my pride and drive the car then wait a year.

BTW please explain to us your secret for getting a 911 the easy way. (if you don't want to reveal it publicly, you can PM those who have been hitting their head against the wall trying to get one-lol)
Old 02-10-2023, 10:06 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

I completely understand the resistance to ADM on any 992. I hate ADMs and want the 5-8 % discounts too.

Dealers are not getting many allocations and they really do not want this business model to change. High margins on sold units, no floor planning, a scarcity that borders on rarity. Why would Porsche change this operate model? If the economy tanks, and we return to 2008/2009, maybe we will see a change. If you are ok sitting on the sidelines waiting for the old days to return, my recommendation is to find a very comfortable chair.

Last edited by mjsporsche; 02-10-2023 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Staffie Guy (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 10:19 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,368 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
People like you are the reason dealers get away with price gouging
Hey I didn't pay an ADM and am against ADMs. But if I lived in an area where my perceived only choice was get the car today by paying a 10K ADM or wait a year (and I was too uninformed to figure out how get a car from a non local ADM dealer or to get and flip a desirable trade) I would swallow my pride and enjoy the car today.

Supply and demand, not a stray buyer who won't pay an ADM, are the reasons dealers get away with ADMs and a mass boycott of ADMs will never happen.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:24 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 826 Likes on 383 Posts

I was at a Kia dealer yesterday looking at the new plug in EV for my wife.

The Mulroney had a $2000 dealer surcharge on top of MSRP !!!!!

This wasn’t some dealer adder it was part of the “option” list 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😩

Last edited by audi4t; 02-10-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:25 AM
Shambler
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I completely understand the resistance to ADM on any 992. I hate ADMs and want the 5-8 % discounts too.

Dealers are not getting many allocations and they really do not want this business model to change. High margins on sold units, no floor planning, a scarcity that borders on rarity. Why would Porsche change this operate model? If the economy tanks, and we return to 2008/2009, maybe we will see a change. If you are ok sitting on the sidelines waiting for the old days to return, my recommendation is to find a very comfortable chair.
I might pay ADM on the perfect chair or bed. I certainly spend more time in both.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:37 AM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by audi4t
I was at a Kia dealer yesterday looking at the new plug in EV for my wife.

The Mulroney had a $2000 dealer surcharge on top of MSRP !!!!!

This wasn’t some dealer adder it was part of the “option” list 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😩
I've seen that at all the KIa dealers in DFW. I was looking for an EV6 and they all said they sold at MSRP. But then the VIP package was added with over priced ceramic tint, door cup ppf and nitrogen in the tires. 3k to 5k depending on the dealer.

Worse, a year ago I had a deal at MSRP and was driving 70 miles to get it. Agreed price, offered a deposit on the phone, they said no. Halfway there the SA called and said my GM is letting someone look at the car and if they want it he will sell it...SMH. Huffines Kia in Cornith. Of course they wanted it, they sold it, but had one coming in two weeks they would sell me. No thank you.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:50 AM
Shambler
Racer

Originally Posted by TK42ONE
I've seen that at all the KIa dealers in DFW. I was looking for an EV6 and they all said they sold at MSRP. But then the VIP package was added with over priced ceramic tint, door cup ppf and nitrogen in the tires. 3k to 5k depending on the dealer.

Worse, a year ago I had a deal at MSRP and was driving 70 miles to get it. Agreed price, offered a deposit on the phone, they said no. Halfway there the SA called and said my GM is letting someone look at the car and if they want it he will sell it...SMH. Huffines Kia in Cornith. Of course they wanted it, they sold it, but had one coming in two weeks they would sell me. No thank you.
ADM...but not ADM... My daughter is looking to get a Mini. It's a MSRP price, but also requires and is already done (I assume) ceramic coating for $1K.
This was last week.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:28 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 411 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by srf409
ADM for a Korean tin can. Unbelieveable.
You sound like my 81 year old father-in-law, still believing what was true in the 70s. Believe it or not they actually make some pretty decent vehicles, and they can't keep up with supply.
The following 8 users liked this post by adrianp89:
aggie57 (02-10-2023), BOS911T (02-11-2023), mikey94025 (02-10-2023), MontBlanc911 (02-12-2023), mrcarlo (02-14-2023), Nein Eleven (02-10-2023), Shambler (02-10-2023), Vicbastige (02-10-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-10-2023, 12:27 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 411 Likes on 187 Posts

You are more than welcome to every last one of them. YUK. Some people wait in line for cheap hot dogs at Costco, I'll stick with Ruth's Chris prime tenderloin thank you.
If you get bored one weekend go compare at Macan to a GV80. I wont get started on Ruth Chris and my opinion of their steaks lol.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:38 PM
suffer
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 94 Posts

When I bought my M3, it already had the PPF on the rear haunches and tint, which I was going to do anyway. They told me that upfront, and that's what I paid. It wasn't that much more than what I'd pay elsewhere and I'd have to leave the car with them, so it saved me time.

I went to buy a C8 last year, and it was obviously marked up. Then they show me that it's not actually one-owner, it's 2. Now, they've tacked on another 3 grand in different add-ons. I just walked out.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:56 PM
Shambler
Racer

Originally Posted by suffer
When I bought my M3, it already had the PPF on the rear haunches and tint, which I was going to do anyway. They told me that upfront, and that's what I paid. It wasn't that much more than what I'd pay elsewhere and I'd have to leave the car with them, so it saved me time.

I went to buy a C8 last year, and it was obviously marked up. Then they show me that it's not actually one-owner, it's 2. Now, they've tacked on another 3 grand in different add-ons. I just walked out.
If you want a C8, I have friend selling his (less than 1000 miles). DM me.
The car is in Massachusetts..
Old 02-10-2023, 01:00 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 735 Likes on 353 Posts

I'll stick with Ruth's Chris prime tenderloin thank you.
Ruth's Chris tenderloin? Yuk. I'll stick with dry aged ribeye at Gallaghers
The following 3 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
adrianp89 (02-10-2023), LesPaul (02-11-2023), mjsporsche (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:08 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Ruth's Chris tenderloin? Yuk. I'll stick with dry aged ribeye at Gallaghers
Porterhouse, Keens.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shogunade:
adrianp89 (02-10-2023), Brainofjjj (02-10-2023), mjsporsche (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 03:40 PM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

Ruth Chris uses choice not prime cut. Cheaper cut. Yuk

Quick Reply: ADMs dropping