Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADMs dropping

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 10:19 PM
IPA1
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 78 Posts

I am a free market capitalist, let the market set the price. That said, the way ADM's and "long term relationships" are being manipulated by dealers is a complete disgrace and will, in the end, devalue the Porsche brand. Why? Because this is taking the fun out of buying and owning a Porsche. Which is the main, if not only reason, I and many others buy one. So far, my first new Porsche experience has been aggravating and underwhelming. Spending $140K to be aggravated won't happen too many times. 5 used private party buys over the years have been very good including; a 1972 911T, 911S, 930, 914 2.0, 911SC and now back to the start with a new 992T. I hope this all changes with the market. Porsche would be wise to make some changes. Maybe direct to market ala Tesla?
Old 02-05-2023, 10:40 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray K.
ixsomerset I know a local Massachusetts dealer had a Targa 4S allocation back in November. I assume it's gone by now, but I can confirm they had one. I've been waiting for a C2S since March of last year and have been speaking to many dealers regarding allocations. They are all saying the same thing that they have barely received any sports car allocations over the last year. That dealer I mentioned in MA told me received the following in November 2022: 1 of each, 911 Base C2 Cabriolet, 911 Carrera T, 911 Targa 4S, 911 Turbo S Cabriolet. I suspect toph4242 got the T. Hopefully the next round which should be announced soon will get a lot of us who are waiting in the driver's seat.
I can confirm that my 992 T allocation was from Westwood... My official allocation came with the sprinkling of T allocations in late December on Christmas Eve (along with a GT allocation for the dealership)... but Not in the November drop. I believe the November T allocations only went to the Herb Chambers location in Norwell and Burlington in November. As far as the others, I can't confirm
Old 02-05-2023, 11:34 PM
tna3
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by IPA1
I am a free market capitalist, let the market set the price. That said, the way ADM's and "long term relationships" are being manipulated by dealers is a complete disgrace and will, in the end, devalue the Porsche brand. Why? Because this is taking the fun out of buying and owning a Porsche. Which is the main, if not only reason, I and many others buy one. So far, my first new Porsche experience has been aggravating and underwhelming. Spending $140K to be aggravated won't happen too many times. 5 used private party buys over the years have been very good including; a 1972 911T, 911S, 930, 914 2.0, 911SC and now back to the start with a new 992T. I hope this all changes with the market. Porsche would be wise to make some changes. Maybe direct to market ala Tesla?
Even if Porsche went direct source, it’s still not the same model as Tesla. As long as there is a shortage, bozos will find a way to make middle man money. Porsche has to figure out first and foremost how to manage changes in production capacity based on demand. This is the key difference from Tesla here. Porsche has admitted that their preferred model is 1 short model but they are at 10 short. To keep the 911 brand favorable they can’t ever break in to glut but at the same time too few is also damaging as has been the case recently.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:13 AM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Why is it for some folks the "art of the deal" is more important than the actual car? Nobody wants to pay more than they should, but if your only shot to get a 911 in the next year or so is to pay ADM, why stand on principle?
Not to mention that some of these “no ADM” guys will be paying Porsche $20k more in two years even at sticker rather than paying a dealer $10k in ADM to have a car this year. But they’ll be able to say that “I didn’t pay over sticker” I suppose. The way I see it, these past few years have shown us that life is short ultimately and that we should be doing more things that bring joy into our lives. I classify 911s in the joy category.
The following users liked this post:
Spiffx (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 08:39 AM
tna3
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein Eleven
Not to mention that some of these “no ADM” guys will be paying Porsche $20k more in two years even at sticker rather than paying a dealer $10k in ADM to have a car this year. But they’ll be able to say that “I didn’t pay over sticker” I suppose. The way I see it, these past few years have shown us that life is short ultimately and that we should be doing more things that bring joy into our lives. I classify 911s in the joy category.
Well if you want to get in to this level of detail for the consideration of paying higher MSRP next year then there is also this:

1. You pay an extra year of insurance
2. Your car is worth less when you sell it
3. You lose out on new year changes
4. You pay another year of excise taxes (if your state charges)
5. Your contributing to more ADMs in the future
6. Your money is not earning interest for the year. An 11 month no penalty CD for early withdrawal at Ally online bank more than covers the MSRP increase.

So all in all, paying a high ADM because the MSRP might be higher next year is not good advice. Do it if just want the car, there is no financial benefit.

Last edited by tna3; 02-06-2023 at 09:07 AM.
jwfrazier (05-28-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 08:53 AM
cwbrown
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by pydpyypr
If it's from Westwood, yeah, it's gone. I was getting a haircut a few weeks ago in the Seaport and a guy came in who had just lifted it and put together a really nice build. Apparently was the result of someone else canceling. Believe with options and everything it was around $220k.
Stopped in there just to inquire on allocations for both GTS and S, SA quoted me 30k ADM on an S to be 4th on a list. For the GTS, said years out.
SA was not to interested in any more conversations about $$$, which was ok for me (have a GTS on a boat currently) but was unimpressed by how unwilling they were to talk further.

Last edited by cwbrown; 02-06-2023 at 08:53 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-06-2023, 09:29 AM
pydpyypr
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you search through RL, you'll see Porsche Westwood never had a great reputation to begin with. I used them for service as they were closest to me, but after a recent major, I won't be making that mistake again. Had a bubble in my tire and was due on time for my 911's 40k major. I dropped it off and asked them to do the service, replace the tire and reset the GPS, as it still showed the prior owner's region in another part of the country. I asked them not to wash it, and they gave me a Macan while they did the work.

When I went to pick it up a day or two later around 3:30 in the afternoon, most of the place had cleared out. The SA I'd worked with previously (and tipped) had left early -the SA who was covering didn't really know what work was done. The new P-Zeros were still coated in white mounting gel and looked straight out of a junkyard. I know I asked them not to wash the car, but c'mon, get a rag and wipe that stuff off. Make it look like a $4,200 service. The GPS was not reset and still showed another state. I'm not looking to whine here, but if this is the work that was demonstrably done (or not done) on the stuff I know about, it casts a really bad light on their work on the stuff I'm not familiar with and can't check.

The icing on the cake was the repeated texts asking for a high score on the service rating. I told the SA I was doing him a favor by not responding as my experience with them was poor, and rather than try to correct anything, just said 'thanks'.

If this is their 'service' department, I'd hate to see their sales.

Last edited by pydpyypr; 02-06-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Spiffx (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:41 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Not really, no. If this BS persists, my ‘21 Carrera S will be my last new Porsche. I’m either done buying new Porsches or done with the brand altogether.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:12 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,567 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by pydpyypr
If you search through RL, you'll see Porsche Westwood never had a great reputation to begin with. I used them for service as they were closest to me, but after a recent major, I won't be making that mistake again. Had a bubble in my tire and was due on time for my 911's 40k major. I dropped it off and asked them to do the service, replace the tire and reset the GPS, as it still showed the prior owner's region in another part of the country. I asked them not to wash it, and they gave me a Macan while they did the work.

When I went to pick it up a day or two later around 3:30 in the afternoon, most of the place had cleared out. The SA I'd worked with previously (and tipped) had left early -the SA who was covering didn't really know what work was done. The new P-Zeros were still coated in white mounting gel and looked straight out of a junkyard. I know I asked them not to wash the car, but c'mon, get a rag and wipe that stuff off. Make it look like a $4,200 service. The GPS was not reset and still showed another state. I'm not looking to whine here, but if this is the work that was demonstrably done (or not done) on the stuff I know about, it casts a really bad light on their work on the stuff I'm not familiar with and can't check.

The icing on the cake was the repeated texts asking for a high score on the service rating. I told the SA I was doing him a favor by not responding as my experience with them was poor, and rather than try to correct anything, just said 'thanks'.

If this is their 'service' department, I'd hate to see their sales.
That's too bad... I'm sorry to hear you did not have a good experience there. I have taken my last 3-4 cars there over the years and its been mostly very good experiences (at least as far as them trying to help me out with service costs and getting new cars at MSRP and no ADM)... I think there are going to be instances at any dealership where things get missed (like the GPS reset)... I know I've had to remind them to do something as well when the car was in for multiple services at the same time... but they've always made up for any inconvenience with me in the past either through service discounts, vehicle delivery and giving loaner vehicles for as long as needed... They recently switched ownership groups, so I think more recently they have been trying to improve on customer service/customer experience in general... just wanted to share another data point as a happy customer.
I have bounced around over the years to all the Boston based Porsche dealers and I just finally realized that it was worth my time to commit to one, build the relationship, get to know the managers etc and work through any situations that were not perfect. They want a long term relationship with their clients, and once that is in place, the whole experience is significantly better... buying and servicing.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:47 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Originally Posted by tna3
Well if you want to get in to this level of detail for the consideration of paying higher MSRP next year then there is also this:

1. You pay an extra year of insurance
2. Your car is worth less when you sell it
3. You lose out on new year changes
4. You pay another year of excise taxes (if your state charges)
5. Your contributing to more ADMs in the future
6. Your money is not earning interest for the year. An 11 month no penalty CD for early withdrawal at Ally online bank more than covers the MSRP increase.

So all in all, paying a high ADM because the MSRP might be higher next year is not good advice. Do it if just want the car, there is no financial benefit.
Sure, but with that line of thinking, you should try to time your purchase for the day before you die. It's like the old economist retort, "in the long term, we're all dead."

I would argue that a price increase next year is likely based on constrained supply, consistent demand, continued inflation, the Porsche IPO, and the 992.2 refresh. It's a bet to be sure, but it's also a reasonable one. Heck, it's a bet to even wait for the .2 without knowing what Porsche is going to do with the hybrid drivetrain, gas particulate filters, digital dash, and even the styling (though there shouldn't be any issues on that last point).
Vicbastige (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 08:59 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

To be clear, I hate the fact that we're even at a point that dealers can charge ADMs but that's Economics 101 so I don't agree with people here jumping on prospective buyers for considering paying ADMs to get a car. There are people out there trying to get into their first new 911 and don't have the luxury of waiting out the current situation in their 991.2 or whatever.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nein Eleven:
minn19 (02-07-2023), Spiffx (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 11:25 PM
Porsche992
Pro

Received 417 Likes on 156 Posts

To be clear, I hate the fact that we're even at a point that dealers can charge ADMs but that's Economics 101 so I don't agree with people here jumping on prospective buyers for considering paying ADMs to get a car. There are people out there trying to get into their first new 911 and don't have the luxury of waiting out the current situation in their 991.2 or whatever.
I don't hold it against anyone for paying ADM to a dealer, life is to short get the car and screw the rest. It does bother me tho that the dealer is getting that money and not Porsche by not selling direct. That really bothers me.
FirstPorscheGT3 (02-16-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 01:07 PM
ADMfighter63
Banned

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

I was chatting with my SA today about my future (hopefully) 4RS allocation. I buy a lot of cars from them. And as much as I dislike ADMs, he shared that a bonus 992 C2S Coupe and C4GTS Coupé are available...they're asking $10k ADM, which doesn't sound too too egregious, but I know that's subjective. He mentioned free shipping too. I know it's ironic I'm even mentioning this given my username, but at least they're nice specs and available now lol. If anyone wants to see the spec or wants his contact lmk!

Last edited by ADMfighter63; 02-07-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:25 PM
Jasonamayes
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 100 Posts

Always going to be a tough conversation with ADM. Porsche cannot do anything about it, but "suggest" that dealers do not do it, as well as penalize us by not giving "bonus" cars because of it.
Some don't care, it's just a business decision for some.

People don't want to pay over MSRP, but people also want over MSRP for used 911's.

But if people all bought at MSRP, would this be resolved? Who knows...

With 2023, Porsche isn't bringing a ton more cars over to North America, so it's far from over...
Old 02-08-2023, 01:37 AM
Englefoss
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rockbottom8
Anyone else noticing this?

I got a targa 4s allocation out of state for 20k and then asked around in my local state. One dealer said they could try to match even though dealerships are going 30 to 40 over MSRP in my state. Another local dealer said 30 which shows it's dropping. Anyone else seeing this?
I have been on a waitlist list for both a new Targa 4S and Targa GTS, whichever comes first, at my local dealership in the Northeast since May, 2022. Because there are so few allocations of Targas and because there are customers before me on the waitlist, the dealer anticipates my getting the car in early 2024. The wait does not bother me because my sales agent told me that Porsche AG has suspended paint-to-sample orders for the remainder of this year. I plan to order my Targa in a paint-to-sample color.

Be cautious about the semantics of ADM. When I was researching dealerships in my area, the sales manager at a high-volume dealership told me that his dealership offers straight MSRP deals - - no ADMs. Approximately two weeks after my conversation with the sales manager, I talked with a fellow car club member about his experience at the sales manager's dealership. He was required to pay approximately $15,000 over MSRP for his new 911. The additional cost included wheel insurance, paint protection film, Ceramic Pro and other "options." So how does the sales manager reconcile his statement about straight MSRP but is selling cars with $15,000 of required "options" over MSRP? Apparently his interpretation of ADM is a markup on a Porsche model that provides no benefit other than the opportunity of purchasing the desired car. For example, if he were selling a 2023 Targa 4S that costs $165,000 for an additional $30,000 for the privilege of purchasing it, he would consider the $30,000 an ADM. However, if he added $30,000 worth of paint protection film, wheel protection, Ceramic Pro, etc at MSRP prices, he would claim that he is selling the car at straight MSRP. So, when you order your new car, be prepared to pay more than MSRP - - one way or another - - until Porsche sales return to more normal conditions, hopefully by next year.

Quick Reply: ADMs dropping