Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992.2 April 2024 Release

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 03:28 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

If someone needs a translation - let me know. They suggest "likely" a 48V hybrid system coupled with existing 3.0 or 3.8L Flat 6. All digital controls, likely presented at car shows later this year. I do need to get used to those vertical gills in front....that would have to grow on me for sure.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:37 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
If someone needs a translation - let me know. They suggest "likely" a 48V hybrid system coupled with existing 3.0 or 3.8L Flat 6. All digital controls, likely presented at car shows later this year. I do need to get used to those vertical gills in front....that would have to grow on me for sure.
Thanks for translating the highlights. Totally makes sense to announce this at car shows later this year for an MY2025 launch.

I sure hope they don’t mess with the front too much to the point of repeating BMW’s mistake with their new grill…
Old 04-02-2023, 06:46 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

She also said that the 992.2 could be presented before the end of this year.
I thought I was going to hate the new front end, but don't. Improved cooling would likely mean delayed engine heat saturation with aggressive driving vs the 992.1.
Is the vertical height of the front air intake apertures smaller?
I doubt anyone is going to regret not waiting for a 992.2. Suspect there will be weight gain.

Last edited by Tompoodie; 04-02-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:30 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,659 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by Tompoodie
She also said that the 992.2 could be presented before the end of this year.
I thought I was going to hate the new front end, but don't. Improved cooling would likely mean delayed engine heat saturation with aggressive driving vs the 992.1.
Is the vertical height of the front air intake apertures smaller?
I doubt anyone is going to regret not waiting for a 992.2. Suspect there will be weight gain.

I think I should go to Geneva Motor Show this year… it’s been rescheduled to November in Qatar.
Old 04-03-2023, 06:07 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Nibiru12
Liberals aren't that bad...

Look at the Energy Crisis they created...

I mean Putin must be their Dream God come true....

All of the global warming scares and environmental regulations are nothing compared to the current energy trouble the liberal US (+ its vessel EU) escalated and blaming on him.

So driving EVs and Hybrids are more than justified.... And skyrocketing gas prices too!!! Wear thick clothes and enjoy the rolling blackouts!!!

What a world... they must feel like they are in heaven now!!!

Well, even a nuclear war can be (partially) justified in the name of fighting the climate...

So with our liberal warmongering leaders, we may actually experience one in our lifetime, who knows?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/nucle...rming_n_828496
So, in the name of climate change some are already rationalizing nuclear war! ??? Guess that would get rid of some of those methane producing mammals, too. Good god, utter madness! Not to mention the impact of an all EV world and it's drag on power grids that can barely keep up now. I think EV's have their place but don't start messing with Mother Nature!
The following users liked this post:
OnPole (04-03-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:38 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
"don't start messing with Mother Nature"
probably too late for that, its not as if all of the non-nuclear bombs actively being used by both sides are good for the environment, and its clear this will likely continue to escalate. (bombs away.....................Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) - IMDb)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:30 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,900 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Originally Posted by radelow
Oh I really like the late 60's and 70's Alfas. So tempted to get one.... You recommend it?
It's different; remember those cars are 50-60 years old now and have all lived an 'interesting' life. Like any old car you need to go into them with your eyes wide open and a good dose of reality, and be prepared to get your hands dirty maintaining them. But when they're sorted and running well they're sublime machines, a real joy in a way that is quite different to other cars then or now.

But back to 992.2

Last edited by aggie57; 04-04-2023 at 08:31 AM.
radelow (04-21-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 10:44 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
It's different; remember those cars are 50-60 years old now and have all lived an 'interesting' life. Like any old car you need to go into them with your eyes wide open and a good dose of reality, and be prepared to get your hands dirty maintaining them. But when they're sorted and running well they're sublime machines, a real joy in a way that is quite different to other cars then or now.

But back to 992.2
Aggie is right …. Air cooled 911’s - particularly the Short Wheel Based models from 1965-1968 - are absolutely phenomenal cars and are a ton of fun, but they are not the robust, Plug & Play kind of ownership experience that you get in a modern 911.

The GOOD news is that they are incredibly simple to work on: you can actually access the engine, and really all you need to deal with is spark and fuel, so wrenching on these things is actually a fun - and required - part of the ownership experience. The BAD news is that prices of these cars have exploded over the last 5 years (accelerated by Covid), and there are a LOT of poor examples of these cars fetching premium prices. So if you’re heading in this direction, make sure to do your due diligence on the provenance of these older 911’s. There are good ones out there for sure, but be prepared to pay a premium for the best examples, particularly in the S trim (versus the normal, T or E).

I have actually owned my US-delivered 1968 911L since 1992, having bought it from my uncle who bought it as the second owner in 1972. I undertook a total restoration of this car both mechanically and body work that I wrapped up 2 years ago, and It’s a phenomenally fun car to go out and rip through the 5-speed gearbox. These things weigh next to nothing, and with a wiggly rear end only a 145HP motor, going 50mph in this thing feels like 100mph . There will be 55 years of evolution and almost 500 HP between my ‘68 (145 HP) and my incoming 2023 Turbo S Cab (640 HP), but both of these cars are unmistakably linked through the distinct Porsche DNA!

Last edited by North Shore 911; 04-04-2023 at 10:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by North Shore 911:
3uros (04-15-2023), aggie57 (04-04-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 08:28 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

In a realm where machines and magic intertwined, a group of car enthusiasts dreamt of a hybrid 911 that boasted top-mounted exhausts. They believed such a design would epitomize the peak of Porsche's engineering prowess. The thought of a 993 generation or a supercar with this feature made their hearts race with excitement. However, they couldn't help but worry that the 911 might be held back to preserve profits, as it seemed the 992.2 generation would prioritize earnings over technological advancements.

These enthusiasts longed for something extraordinary, like top-mounted exhausts, but they couldn't shake the feeling that their dreams might not come to fruition. A glimmer of hope remained, though: perhaps the hybrid 992.2 Speedster would defy their expectations and dazzle them with its audacious design, complete with the coveted top-mounted exhausts.

With a mix of anticipation and skepticism, the car aficionados continued to dream, hoping that one day, their vision of the perfect Porsche would become a reality, and the power of magic would transform the world of automotive design.

As they gathered around a mystical campfire, they recounted tales of top-mounted exhausts shooting magnificent blue flames into the night. Memories of the Top Gear 918 special danced in their minds, fueling their passion for these powerful machines.

They envisioned a future where cars were crafted for pure awesomeness, rather than mundane concerns like cost efficiency. In this magical world, vehicles would soar through the skies, leaving trails of sapphire fire in their wake, captivating all who beheld them.

The enthusiasts held onto their dreams, knowing that one day, they would witness the birth of cars that transcended practicality and embraced the extraordinary. And with a touch of magic, they set forth on a quest to make their vision a reality.

For those who don't remember what it looks like when a Porsche spits hot fire out the top.

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-13-2023 at 08:36 PM.
dixonk (04-13-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 08:32 PM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,659 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche.earth
In a realm where machines and magic intertwined, a group of car enthusiasts dreamt of a hybrid 911 that boasted top-mounted exhausts. They believed such a design would epitomize the peak of Porsche's engineering prowess. The thought of a 993 generation or a supercar with this feature made their hearts race with excitement, even if they worried that the 911 might be held back to preserve profits (it is clear the 992.2 generation will prioritize profits over technological leaps, and we're not getting anything cool like top mounted exhausts).

As they gathered around a mystical campfire, they recounted tales of top-mounted exhausts shooting magnificent blue flames into the night. Memories of the Top Gear 918 special danced in their minds, fueling their passion for these powerful machines.

They envisioned a future where cars were crafted for pure awesomeness, rather than mundane concerns like cost efficiency. In this magical world, vehicles would soar through the skies, leaving trails of sapphire fire in their wake, captivating all who beheld them.

The enthusiasts held onto their dreams, knowing that one day, they would witness the birth of cars that transcended practicality and embraced the extraordinary. And with a touch of magic, they set forth on a quest to make their vision a reality.

For those who don't remember what it looks like when a Porsche spits hot fire out the top
(45) The Awesome Porsche 918 | Top Gear | Series 21 | BBC - YouTube

Hallelujah!
porsche.earth (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 12:27 AM
JOSCAL
Racer

Received 258 Likes on 143 Posts

Brilliant post porsche.earth, we may not have anything to worry about. As long as it’s light.. we can’t lose the feel!🤞🤞🤞😉

Last edited by JOSCAL; 04-14-2023 at 12:30 AM.
porsche.earth (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 07:21 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S
Back on subject. Maybe we can change this thread title from 992.2 April 2023 Release to April 2024
Maybe we can change this thread title from 992.2 April 2023 Release to April Fool 2023
porsche.earth (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 06:45 AM
exliontamer
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

(a guy from PCNA told me ).
​​​​​​"a guy from PCNA" ... okkkkkkk 😂

i feel lucky to have purchased my 992.1 before this latest crazy pricing cycle hit 😅

i don't plan to get a 992.2 but will watch from the sidelines to see where things land on the non gt models as i may be in the market for the fully next gen (i.e., post 992.2) 911.
​​​​​
Old 04-16-2023, 12:19 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by exliontamer
​​​​​​"a guy from PCNA" ... okkkkkkk 😂
​​​​​
You might as well left my username in your quote if you’re gonna come at me like that. I didn’t want to quote the guy’s email on here but heck, here is the excerpt from the guy’s email to me:

“Your concerns regarding MSRP markups is not a decision made by PCNA and you can be assured that this is not a behavior that we do not condemn. While we do have levers we engage to encourage the right behavior, this can be a challenge to ultimately distort market dynamics. ... Having said that, we are working hard to ensure customers are treated as fairly as possible and that dealers consider the implications of their pricing policy on customer loyalty. ... To that end, we are strongly suggesting the use of a “first right of repurchase” and selling at MSRP with our dealers, with varying degrees of success. I know this response may not help you obtain a new vehicle at MSRP, but I do hope it sheds some light on the situation from our perspective.”
The following 2 users liked this post by SS22:
Billy Bluejay (04-16-2023), porsche.earth (04-16-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:57 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,279 Likes on 649 Posts

Would love to see Porsche go the path of Ferrari on this one. Msrp + a repurchase right is ok with me.
The following 2 users liked this post by slc4s:
Billy Bluejay (04-16-2023), porsche.earth (04-16-2023)

Quick Reply: 992.2 April 2024 Release