Sponsored by:

2022 Allocation

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 06:41 AM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
This is crazy. Why would you pass up a GTS allocation? It’s basically the same car as a Carrera S with more sporty options and power for barely more money. What’s wrong with a heavy daily driven GTS? These cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed.
I can see why folks feel they need to correct my position but it is my opinion that I would need to take that car and soften it in order to get it to a DD as I live in an area with less than ideal roads and crappy winters. Plus I specd my car to be around $147K. When I mirror it with the GTS, it takes me to $165K.
Yes, I believe if anyone is talking about spending $150K on a car but can't afford spending $170K then they can't really afford $150K but to ME, when I toss in the 7% tax and everything else, my eyes would start to tick thinking about what my wife is going to say about paying for the college on our 4 kids!!!! Plus we already have a $125K committed on a new car for her so I just feel like I should hold my ground and make sure I am comfortable with my decisions for me.
In the end, waiting a bit longer to get exactly what I want, how I want it, isn't a bid deal...its just waiting on a car.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:14 AM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
I can see why folks feel they need to correct my position but it is my opinion that I would need to take that car and soften it in order to get it to a DD as I live in an area with less than ideal roads and crappy winters. Plus I specd my car to be around $147K. When I mirror it with the GTS, it takes me to $165K.
Yes, I believe if anyone is talking about spending $150K on a car but can't afford spending $170K then they can't really afford $150K but to ME, when I toss in the 7% tax and everything else, my eyes would start to tick thinking about what my wife is going to say about paying for the college on our 4 kids!!!! Plus we already have a $125K committed on a new car for her so I just feel like I should hold my ground and make sure I am comfortable with my decisions for me.
In the end, waiting a bit longer to get exactly what I want, how I want it, isn't a bid deal...its just waiting on a car.
It may not matter, although the GTS will initially cost more, it will be less expensive to own. The % of depreciation will be significantly less than a base or an S, because of it’s desirability, and rarity.
The following users liked this post:
balucipher (09-24-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 09:30 AM
Shambler
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree with setting a personal limit. To me, it's not about what I can afford. It's what I want to spend. We all draw the line somewhere. I think, for most of us, this is an expensive toy.
Porsche makes it too easy to cross the line.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:33 AM
ron4sc
Instructor

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts

I like your pragmatic approach to buying a car. I feel the same way. Each of us has a price target where the car moves from a dream car to a selfish expense. For me, there isn't enough marginal value in a GTS or a Turbo over a 4S to dig deeper into my pocket. That's my line in the sand but others are comfortable spending more and I applaud them for it.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:50 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,173 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
It may not matter, although the GTS will initially cost more, it will be less expensive to own. The % of depreciation will be significantly less than a base or an S, because of it’s desirability, and rarity.
The depreciation on all 992s is basically next to nothing right now. I drove my 992C4S for 2.5 years and more than 35k miles. At trade-in, I nearly got what I paid for it new. Of course, having bought the car below MSRP in 2019 put me at an advantage versus someone who paid ADM.
Old 03-15-2022, 12:58 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
The depreciation on all 992s is basically next to nothing right now. I drove my 992C4S for 2.5 years and more than 35k miles. At trade-in, I nearly got what I paid for it new. Of course, having bought the car below MSRP in 2019 put me at an advantage versus someone who paid ADM.
very nice… “right now” is the key point…. All markets will eventually normalize…
Old 03-15-2022, 01:06 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCGT3
very nice… “right now” is the key point…. All markets will eventually normalize…
Yes, they will. But Porsche has always done well in terms of resale value. That was true before the pandemic and will be true again after markets normalize.
The following users liked this post:
Carolina1 (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 01:56 PM
Porsche newb
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't buy off on paying an ADM. The rationalization that is OK for dealers to gouge us because of resale value doesn't hold water. Porsche set's the price, dealers don't add value and yet they mark it up. Depreciation has nothing to do with Dealer Markup. Got to have it now is the problem.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:59 PM
JiminyGlick
Banned

Received 163 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche newb
Don't buy off on paying an ADM. The rationalization that is OK for dealers to gouge us because of resale value doesn't hold water. Porsche set's the price, dealers don't add value and yet they mark it up. Depreciation has nothing to do with Dealer Markup. Got to have it now is the problem.
Dude, what???
Old 03-15-2022, 02:16 PM
Porsche newb
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was saying that we all try to talk ourselves into why paying above MSRP is ok, because... What I was trying to say is that the thread seemed to say that it was ok to pay a large ADM, because low depreciation will take care of you. Resale value is high currently because car demand is high causing the used car market to be temporarily inflated. The used car market is already getting softer. Resale value will change.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:27 PM
cozycalv
5th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by JiminyGlick
Thought I'd make one more post on my allocation journey. I finally received my TYD email today and I'm all set with my Porsche ID. The expected delivery date is 172 days from now, which puts me into early September, nearly a full year after first going on the list. I think that's wonderful and its just nice to finally have some movement on all this.
since we're in the same boat (not literally according to our fun guy) figured i'd share my update. I forgot I got my TYD email the day I got a call from my GSM but it shows 4/9 freeze (was told 3/31) with 101 days to delivery (6/24, was told 7/1). It's so real!
The following 3 users liked this post by cozycalv:
ctdubl07 (03-15-2022), JiminyGlick (03-15-2022), Shambler (03-15-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 04:57 PM
usafakid09
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche newb
I was saying that we all try to talk ourselves into why paying above MSRP is ok, because... What I was trying to say is that the thread seemed to say that it was ok to pay a large ADM, because low depreciation will take care of you. Resale value is high currently because car demand is high causing the used car market to be temporarily inflated. The used car market is already getting softer. Resale value will change.
I've been hearing this for the past year. "Market is inflated, it will correct, etc etc" If you've been paying attention, OEMs have publicly stated they are going to do a better job of controlling supply relative to demand. Notwithstanding the supply chain issue which isn't going away in the next few months, the car market is going to be strained for the foreseeable future and I contend it'll never be "back to normal" because OEMs and dealer's alike enjoy not discounting cars or spending marketing money on promotions moving units from inventory.

Everyone likes capitalism except as it applies to automobiles.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:05 PM
CO 992
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by usafakid09
I've been hearing this for the past year. "Market is inflated, it will correct, etc etc" If you've been paying attention, OEMs have publicly stated they are going to do a better job of controlling supply relative to demand. Notwithstanding the supply chain issue which isn't going away in the next few months, the car market is going to be strained for the foreseeable future and I contend it'll never be "back to normal" because OEMs and dealer's alike enjoy not discounting cars or spending marketing money on promotions moving units from inventory.

Everyone likes capitalism except as it applies to automobiles.
Two points:
1. OEMs are seeing the markups that the dealers are pocketing and will move in the future to add that to their bottom line. PCNA/PAG is very aware that people are paying 25k over for a freakin GTS.... MSRP increases will follow
2. I have to laugh when people say this market is the new normal. Let's chat again when the next recession hits (and it will hit...possibly sooner than people think with this runaway inflation)
Old 03-15-2022, 06:08 PM
usafakid09
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CO 992
Two points:
1. OEMs are seeing the markups that the dealers are pocketing and will move in the future to add that to their bottom line. PCNA/PAG is very aware that people are paying 25k over for a freakin GTS.... MSRP increases will follow
2. I have to laugh when people say this market is the new normal. Let's chat again when the next recession hits (and it will hit...possibly sooner than people think with this runaway inflation)
Agree with #1. We will be paying closer to MSRP in the future than we have in the past. OEMs are not going to be in the business of over producing and then leaving cash on the hood to move inventory.
I laugh when people don't comprehend what I write. I didn't say the market as it currently is, is the new normal. But I did say it isn't going to go back to the way it was (hint: could mean what I allude to above).

Last edited by usafakid09; 03-15-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:19 PM
CO 992
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by usafakid09
Agree with #1. We will be paying closer to MSRP in the future than we have in the past. OEMs are not going to be in the business of over producing and then leaving cash on the hood to move inventory.
I laugh when people don't comprehend what I write. I didn't say the market as it currently is, is the new normal. But I did say it isn't going to go back to the way it was (hint: could mean what I allude to above).
Fair enough - I interpreted the way you mention, but I'm in agreement with your clarification.

Quick Reply: 2022 Allocation