992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 02:54 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Gr8tness
Installed the stage 1 91 octane m-engineering tune on my
stock 992 S manual. Quick process overall, fast customer response.

The OEM PSE, at least on the ‘22 has been under whelming. Hard to tell much difference between normal and sport PSE at times, so I asked for the full on/ off capability as part of the tune.
I’m very surprised with the difference in sound with the tune. It is substantially louder when PSE is on, particularly idling and in the lower RPMs, even has a rumble and vibration to the sound which is welcomed, kind of like 911s of the past. Huge difference when PSE is turned off now (feels like a luxury car) I was not expecting this at all. I’ve been searching exhaust and sport cat options, may have to reconsider, or keep it to sport cats only. 👍🏼

In terms of power it is stronger, but the first drive didn’t wow me like I was expecting. Sent in some datalogs, Mitch said it could be crappy gas pulling extra timing, got a updated file and was stronger on second drive. Another drive later in eve in 60deg weather it’s feeling faster. Expected it to be scary, but it’s just really quick/rapid acceleration. Power delivery is OEM smooth which may explain why it’s not scary. Will see what Mitch says about the 2nd set of datalogs.

Happy so far! And with the added bonus of the exhaust improvement, the tune is a bargain.
thx for the feedback. I have access to only crappy 91 gas in my state too. Glad to hear exhaust sounds noticeably louder. My stock PSE is underwhelming and quiet in any mode. Do you have E85 in your area? If I get this tune, I’d probably run E85 for the summer since I live in AZ and it will be 100-120 degrees for a good 3-4 months. Trying to decide if I should wait until the fall to get it or just get it now.
Old 04-30-2022, 03:02 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

From my log:

3rd gear pull from 2k to redline
Old 04-30-2022, 04:47 PM
911Gr8tness
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
thx for the feedback. I have access to only crappy 91 gas in my state too. Glad to hear exhaust sounds noticeably louder. My stock PSE is underwhelming and quiet in any mode. Do you have E85 in your area? If I get this tune, I’d probably run E85 for the summer since I live in AZ and it will be 100-120 degrees for a good 3-4 months. Trying to decide if I should wait until the fall to get it or just get it now.
Im in the SF Bay Area so mostly crappy 91. I do have a local station with 94/96/98/100 and E85. But would add higher octane just for added safety and not rely on it all the time.

@991.1 Guy I’ll be watching your progress, your dyno figures confirm maybe my butt dyno calibration may not be off after all.
Old 04-30-2022, 05:29 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,566 Likes on 567 Posts

Hello,

I didn't read all off of this as I am in California getting 3 Porsche race cars ready for Pikes Peak.

Our tune is plug and play. 9 out of 10 times we don't need to look at logs, or make revisions. That being said, if someone feels that the power is not right, something is a miss or just want to know the health of their engine, we check logs. We do this as a free service to anyone that buys our product as want to be sure that you are happy with what you are purchasing. An other thing that very much needs to be highlighted is no 2 cars, or fuels, or temps, or elevation etc are the same. We see people in the same state with the same fuel from different places show more knock than others. We do all of our own tuning in house, make tools, software and are very familiar with the cars. There are a lot of different software ID's and operating systems, but we go down to a code level to check things. We are human. Sometimes if something is new we might miss a table or a request, but we always do whatever it takes to make sure it is fixed asap.

Logging is a huge part of modifying any car and honestly you shouldn't buy a solution if you cannot log with it. Also most of the files that are sold for this platform are bought for 100 dollars from someone overseas, and loaded into a flashing device. 99% of the time those canned files also have knock control thresholds turned up, more timing than should be run amongst a multitude of others things that do need to be changed and a lot that don't.

If anyone ever has any issue with our tune, we do whatever it takes to make sure that they are happy. I see John posted his dyno chart, I am glad he did. We put John on our dyno at our South Florida facility last week, and he asked Scott for a conservative 93 tune. The numbers he got are just that, conservative.

There is another large issue with the 992 platform in general and it is the intercooler design and placement. What we see more often than not is that people will go say to a dyno and do a bunch of runs, and all of a sudden they lose a bunch of power. Here is a great example:

This is the same exact car on two different dynos. No change to calibration, one is a full dyno cell with very good cooling and fans setup. The second is doing pulls back to back in a closed room with no fans on the intercoolers. The IAT if I remember was in the high 100F range in the log.

The factory boost control system in the Porsche is designed to limit power based in intake air temp, so its trims the load based on it. We have seen cars on dyno's with no fans and they have been run 4 or 5 times back to back and the IAT is into the 220F+ range. So 9/10 times 992's on dyno's do not have adequate cooling.

As you can see here this is something that has to be adjusted, but we don't remove any safeties from it in terms of increasing it at higher temperatures:

Stock 992 Turbo S table example. Z data is the rl_w and the y is intake air temp and the x axis is RPM.

This is just one of many examples of things that will limit power.

So to end this I will say, we know these cars very well. We support our customer 110% of the time no matter what and we will do anything we can to make sure you are happy and your car's calibration is safe and correct.

If you have any more questions or would like more info maybe on the inner workings of the ECU let me know and I can spend sometime and go through a bit of it, or what we look at in logs.

You can reach us anytime:

info@m-engineering.us
mitch@m-engineering.us

Cheers,

Mitch McKee
The following 13 users liked this post by M Engineering:
540gone (04-30-2022), 911Stiller (06-30-2023), Ah10 (04-30-2022), AlterZgo (04-30-2022), Atekk (05-06-2022), eagle1960 (04-30-2022), HashTag (04-30-2022), Kurac (05-01-2022), mattchow (05-01-2022), NigelPlays (05-10-2022), por356 (04-30-2022), surquhar (04-30-2022), Tupper (04-30-2022) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-2022, 02:32 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mitch/Charles,

I'm in the process of replacing my high flow cats with catless pipes, mainly due to the underwhelming sound from the former.

Looking to get your stage 2 tune in the coming weeks. Can you confirm that your tune disables any check engine lights associated with removal of the cats?

I want to make sure I'm able to pass annual emissions testing without having to swap back to stock parts.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:40 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Hello,

I didn't read all off of this as I am in California getting 3 Porsche race cars ready for Pikes Peak.

Our tune is plug and play. 9 out of 10 times we don't need to look at logs, or make revisions. That being said, if someone feels that the power is not right, something is a miss or just want to know the health of their engine, we check logs. We do this as a free service to anyone that buys our product as want to be sure that you are happy with what you are purchasing. An other thing that very much needs to be highlighted is no 2 cars, or fuels, or temps, or elevation etc are the same. We see people in the same state with the same fuel from different places show more knock than others. We do all of our own tuning in house, make tools, software and are very familiar with the cars. There are a lot of different software ID's and operating systems, but we go down to a code level to check things. We are human. Sometimes if something is new we might miss a table or a request, but we always do whatever it takes to make sure it is fixed asap.

Logging is a huge part of modifying any car and honestly you shouldn't buy a solution if you cannot log with it. Also most of the files that are sold for this platform are bought for 100 dollars from someone overseas, and loaded into a flashing device. 99% of the time those canned files also have knock control thresholds turned up, more timing than should be run amongst a multitude of others things that do need to be changed and a lot that don't.

If anyone ever has any issue with our tune, we do whatever it takes to make sure that they are happy. I see John posted his dyno chart, I am glad he did. We put John on our dyno at our South Florida facility last week, and he asked Scott for a conservative 93 tune. The numbers he got are just that, conservative.

There is another large issue with the 992 platform in general and it is the intercooler design and placement. What we see more often than not is that people will go say to a dyno and do a bunch of runs, and all of a sudden they lose a bunch of power. Here is a great example:

This is the same exact car on two different dynos. No change to calibration, one is a full dyno cell with very good cooling and fans setup. The second is doing pulls back to back in a closed room with no fans on the intercoolers. The IAT if I remember was in the high 100F range in the log.

The factory boost control system in the Porsche is designed to limit power based in intake air temp, so its trims the load based on it. We have seen cars on dyno's with no fans and they have been run 4 or 5 times back to back and the IAT is into the 220F+ range. So 9/10 times 992's on dyno's do not have adequate cooling.

As you can see here this is something that has to be adjusted, but we don't remove any safeties from it in terms of increasing it at higher temperatures:

Stock 992 Turbo S table example. Z data is the rl_w and the y is intake air temp and the x axis is RPM.

This is just one of many examples of things that will limit power.

So to end this I will say, we know these cars very well. We support our customer 110% of the time no matter what and we will do anything we can to make sure you are happy and your car's calibration is safe and correct.

If you have any more questions or would like more info maybe on the inner workings of the ECU let me know and I can spend sometime and go through a bit of it, or what we look at in logs.

You can reach us anytime:

info@m-engineering.us
mitch@m-engineering.us

Cheers,

Mitch McKee
Good post and if I ever change my mind on tune you guys seem my first choice. Had issues with tunes on previous cars and that makes me stay away from it for now. But one question: I am in Florida and our typical days are, well, hot. Even w/o much effort my temps are typically 210-215 just driving casually to work. If I would want to tune would it be any good w/o a better intercooler? Looks from your description any measurable gain in power from tune might be blocked by the IAT safety function Porsche put in?
The following users liked this post:
got2go (05-12-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 09:56 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Good post and if I ever change my mind on tune you guys seem my first choice. Had issues with tunes on previous cars and that makes me stay away from it for now. But one question: I am in Florida and our typical days are, well, hot. Even w/o much effort my temps are typically 210-215 just driving casually to work. If I would want to tune would it be any good w/o a better intercooler? Looks from your description any measurable gain in power from tune might be blocked by the IAT safety function Porsche put in?
We have our dyno facility located in South Florida. An upgraded intercooler is a great idea and certainly helpful especially in hotter climates like here. If IAT's get hot it will pull some power back as a result (which is a good thing, safeties are doing it's job). When you are out on the street airflow is a bit better than a dyno can simulate, but yes after a few back to back pulls you can get fully heat soaked. Upgrading to our CSF intercooler will help alleviate this. And for those looking to go one step further meth injection can be added on.

-Charles@M
Old 05-09-2022, 10:29 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
We have our dyno facility located in South Florida. An upgraded intercooler is a great idea and certainly helpful especially in hotter climates like here. If IAT's get hot it will pull some power back as a result (which is a good thing, safeties are doing it's job). When you are out on the street airflow is a bit better than a dyno can simulate, but yes after a few back to back pulls you can get fully heat soaked. Upgrading to our CSF intercooler will help alleviate this. And for those looking to go one step further meth injection can be added on.

-Charles@M
Charles- Can you explain how meth injection works? I know it lowers IAT and reduces knock but is there a separate tank? How much does it use? Where is the injection nozzle placed? Where do you buy meth? At the jiffy mart parking lot? lol
Old 05-09-2022, 10:34 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Charles- Can you explain how meth injection works? I know it lowers IAT and reduces knock but is there a separate tank? How much does it use? Where is the injection nozzle placed? Where do you buy meth? At the jiffy mart parking lot? lol
Here is a link to our meth system: https://www.m-engineering.us/collect...ld-motorsports

This same kit works on both the 992 Turbo and 992 Carrera models. The kit comes with a separate tank that is mounted in the frunk of the car. Lines are then routed where a nozzle is placed on the upgraded CSF intercooler (their intercooler kit provides a provision for this). The kit also comes with a controller so you use that to setup how the spray activation works and how much (we help with this as you need to ProTune if you do meth.).

I usually purchase meth at our local VP Racing fuels store here in Broward county. We normally use VP M1.

-Charles@M

Old 05-10-2022, 03:57 AM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 210 Posts

i sent an email to your team, but never got a reply. after adding soul headers to my soul valveless exhaust, the overall sound of the car seemed to get quieter, but deeper. is there an explanation for this or am i just fooling myself? i still need to send updated logs after the updated header tune as well.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:26 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mattchow
i sent an email to your team, but never got a reply. after adding soul headers to my soul valveless exhaust, the overall sound of the car seemed to get quieter, but deeper. is there an explanation for this or am i just fooling myself? i still need to send updated logs after the updated header tune as well.
Hey Matt, apologies if we missed that. I don't have an answer to the sound or volume of the car with changes in those specific exhaust parts. From personal experience and on my own aircooled p-car, changing out the headers made the car more quiet but had a more aggressive tone in general. Mufflers tend to do the most for actual loudness.
We can review logs at anytime!

-Charles@M
mattchow (05-19-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 10:45 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I can not see why you would need a better intercooler unless you are tracking your car regularly and running in to issues. For street driving with a tune and doing launches and having fun your car should not encounter any issues. Porsche knows what they are doing. They did not build these cars to have issues for normal day driving.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:39 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Data has shown that even the stock intercooler driven on the street can heat soak quickly, especially if you're in a hot climate. It doesn't take too many pulls for the IAT's to get hot enough where power gets pulled back if you're going for WOT fun. Porsche's placement of the intercooler over the top of the engine gets hot quite quickly and requires a lot of airflow to keep cool.

-Charles@M
Old 05-10-2022, 03:13 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

So in my conversations with M Engineering, it appears that my car is making more boost than any other Carrera S that they have worked on.

Does this mean that I'm special? Why would my car make more boost?

Could it have anything to do with my aftermarket exhaust set up? @Soul Performance do you have any insight? I have your wide bore (3") valveless exhaust with sport cats.

Did Porsche forget to detune their GTS engine before they sold this car to me?
Old 05-10-2022, 05:09 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
So in my conversations with M Engineering, it appears that my car is making more boost than any other Carrera S that they have worked on.

Does this mean that I'm special? Why would my car make more boost?
Sounds like your car is broken and you should throw it in the trash. Just kidding!

I think things like good quality of gas, lower temps in Chicago and some cars are just built a little better than others can all come into play that allows your car run more boost without triggering the detonation sensors that would dial back boost and timing.
Tupper (05-10-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing