Sponsored by:

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 06:21 PM
22CarreraS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I can not see why you would need a better intercooler unless you are tracking your car regularly and running in to issues. For street driving with a tune and doing launches and having fun your car should not encounter any issues. Porsche knows what they are doing. They did not build these cars to have issues for normal day driving.
I can tell you from data logging, the intercoolers don’t keep with the turbos. Your IAT will be 20-30C hotter at the end of 3rd gear.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:48 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Data has shown that even the stock intercooler driven on the street can heat soak quickly, especially if you're in a hot climate. It doesn't take too many pulls for the IAT's to get hot enough where power gets pulled back if you're going for WOT fun. Porsche's placement of the intercooler over the top of the engine gets hot quite quickly and requires a lot of airflow to keep cool.

-Charles@M
does your intercooler upgrade keep the temps at bay/consistent during extended runs, or would it experience the similar negative effect as the stock one but just to a lesser degree?

I definitely notice a drop in performance on consecutive 60-130 runs; the best time is always the first run (7.1 secs for example, and then it gets worse and worse like 7.4, 7.6 etc)
Old 05-10-2022, 11:59 PM
4 Rings
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
does your intercooler upgrade keep the temps at bay/consistent during extended runs, or would it experience the similar negative effect as the stock one but just to a lesser degree?

I definitely notice a drop in performance on consecutive 60-130 runs; the best time is always the first run (7.1 secs for example, and then it gets worse and worse like 7.4, 7.6 etc)
One persons name comes to mind for a response but it’s just slipping my mind…
Old 05-11-2022, 10:42 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,565 Likes on 567 Posts

We have a separate thread for the intercoolers that includes some information from CSF directly and some datalog images.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1297...l-pricing.html

-Charles@M
Old 05-12-2022, 02:37 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Just installed the M-Engineering Stage 1 - 91 octane tune on my 2021 992 S manual. Big thanks to Charles @M Engineering , Scott and of course Mitch and the M Engineering team for the awesome customer service and top notch tune. Charles was super fast in responding to my PMs and getting my upgrade kit shipped out. When I ran into some issues, I called M Engineering and was able to reach someone on the line right away to help me troubleshoot the issue (turned out to just be a funky USB issue on my computer). Even though I emailed my stock calibration to M Engineering late in the day (3:30 PM), Scott emailed me back right away confirming the various options I wanted and sent me my tune just 20 minutes later. These guys are just on it from a service perspective.

When I first installed the tune, I drove out and punched it in 2nd gear and felt... underwhelmed.... like it didn't feel any faster than stock. So I drove around for a bit more and then floored it in 1st gear and.... HOLY F! It threw me back so hard, my hand slipped off the shifter and I hit the rev limiter b/c I didn't pull back into 2nd gear fast enough. This was in the afternoon in 88 degree AZ heat. So I drove around a bit more just to make sure everything was working properly and parked it until the evening and took it out again when it was about 75 degrees. The car pulls extremely hard in 1st and 2nd gear. The best part is, thanks to the massive rear grip, the car just moves. While it's much easier to break the tires loose with a fast 1st to 2nd shift, it still grips really well. One of my disappointments about the 992 was how tall the gears were which made 2nd gear not pull as hard as I wanted. Now with the M Engineering tune, 2nd pulls very hard. Overall, I am very satisfied with this tune even though it is the most mild stage 1, 91 octane tune. In terms of drivability, the car is every bit as smooth as stock and there is no noticable increase in turbo lag.

In terms of options, I opted for cold start delete and it works very well. I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate it. I also opted for PSE valves fully open. The car is definitely louder but jury is still out on whether this is good or bad. It doesn't sound particularly sportier so don't expect GT3 like sounds to magically come from our turbocharged motor. There is a bit more turbo spool noise, though I wish it was even louder. I also chose to increase the neutral rev limiter to 6000 RPM. I LOVE this option. Sounds really great to rev the car in neutral now and I'm happy I will be able to launch it at more than 3500 RPMs if I want to do a hard launch.

In terms of issues, I had none with the the M Engineering ODB dongle or tune. I did have a problem getting my 2020 intel Macbook Pro running bootcamp to recognize the USB connection to the OBD port dongle. I had to switch it around a few times, change to different USB A to USB C adapters to finally get it to work. After I got the connection to work, downloading my stock calibration and uploading the Stage 1 tune was a breeze. It took about 6 minutes to upload the tune. My car did have some funky warning lights come on and my rear spoiler did go up as well. I lowered the spoiler manually and all the warning lights went back to normal once the flash completed. I did not have any issues w/ my fuel gauge. One other minor hicup was I had my iPhone in the car and CarPlay was active when the tune was uploading. Afterwards, when I drove it around, my volume **** wouldn't work when in CarPlay. It would work when I was playing the radio and anything that was no in CarPlay. I shut the car off and turned it back on and CarPlay went back to normal. All in all, it was a very uneventful and seamless process.

Thanks again M Engineering team!
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
991.1 Guy (05-12-2022), Pad Bender (05-26-2022), Snapperkid (05-15-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 12:45 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Turnaround Time for Log Reviews

For those that have submitted logs for reviews, what has been the typical turnaround time?

I submitted one early yesterday and got the notification indicating to expect a 2 - 3 day turnaround.

I went for a stage 2 on 93 octane. After 2 days of driving and over 70 miles the car certainly doesn't feel like it has picked up over 100HP. Something seems to be off particularly because max boost now doesn't exceed 12 psi.

Have a trip coming up and I'm now hesitant to drive the car until hear back.. I guess I can always uninstall the tune for the time being.

Old 05-24-2022, 01:04 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,565 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by tez2013
For those that have submitted logs for reviews, what has been the typical turnaround time?

I submitted one early yesterday and got the notification indicating to expect a 2 - 3 day turnaround.

I went for a stage 2 on 93 octane. After 2 days of driving and over 70 miles the car certainly doesn't feel like it has picked up over 100HP. Something seems to be off particularly because max boost now doesn't exceed 12 psi.

Have a trip coming up and I'm now hesitant to drive the car until hear back.. I guess I can always uninstall the tune for the time being.
Thanks for your patience. We strive for a 24 hour turnaround or sooner. We just had a very long track weekend and traveling amongst us yesterday. This is on our calibrator's list of tickets to look at today. If you are underboosting that severely and feeling low on power there is a good chance the car may have a boost leak. We will be in touch soon.

-Charles@M
Old 05-24-2022, 03:02 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Thanks for your patience. We strive for a 24 hour turnaround or sooner. We just had a very long track weekend and traveling amongst us yesterday. This is on our calibrator's list of tickets to look at today. If you are underboosting that severely and feeling low on power there is a good chance the car may have a boost leak. We will be in touch soon.

-Charles@M
Thanks, Charles. I'll wait to hear back. Would be surprised if it was a boost leak as the car has historically maxed at 17 psi at WOT without issues.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:33 AM
RoughRider911
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

-Charles@M
Charles and team have always gotten back to me in less than 24 hours - they are excellent to deal with.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:46 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

For me normally is within 24hours
Old 05-26-2022, 08:47 PM
Pad Bender
Rennlist Member

Received 1,292 Likes on 651 Posts

I am consistently impressed with the responsiveness of M-Engineering.

Got a calibration file with 1 hour of my email and installed without a fuss. It must have been a known issue but that is actually reassuring.

For all those out there...get a Windows 10 Microsoft Surface Go 2 (lowest spec) and download the M-Engineering installation software. Get a USB-C to mini USB cord from UGreen and you are connected.

It fits perfectly in your glove box for installing on the fly...without lugging a laptop with you.

The following 3 users liked this post by Pad Bender:
DButcher (08-12-2022), SBAD (05-26-2022), Tupper (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 10:46 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Thanks guys. Scott/team have been very responsive since then, at times sending multiple updates within a day.

For those that are curious on where things stand with my tune, the team is continuing to work through the kinks.

Evidently, the initial file did not have the appropriate changes made for the stage 2 93 tune. The subsequent revision resulted in a significant increase in SOTP feel. Upon further logging it appeared that additional changes were needed to get the boost closer to target.

Fast-forward to 4 different revisions and 11 data logged runs. Max boost is now peaking at 20.X psi. A bit shocking since it would consistently peak at 16-17 in stock form.

I know Mitch/team are on top of it and I'm optimistic that they'll figure it out.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:49 PM
RoughRider911
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. Scott/team have been very responsive since then, at times sending multiple updates within a day.

For those that are curious on where things stand with my tune, the team is continuing to work through the kinks.

Evidently, the initial file did not have the appropriate changes made for the stage 2 93 tune. The subsequent revision resulted in a significant increase in SOTP feel. Upon further logging it appeared that additional changes were needed to get the boost closer to target.

Fast-forward to 4 different revisions and 11 data logged runs. Max boost is now peaking at 20.X psi. A bit shocking since it would consistently peak at 16-17 in stock form.

I know Mitch/team are on top of it and I'm optimistic that they'll figure it out.
How are you measuring boost? Are you referencing the data log, stock gauge, or do you have an aftermarket?
Old 05-26-2022, 10:54 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 818 Posts

What does 20.X psi mean?
Old 05-26-2022, 11:17 PM
tez2013
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RoughRider911
How are you measuring boost? Are you referencing the data log, stock gauge, or do you have an aftermarket?
Data log with boost calculated per instructions - excerpt below.

• e.g. 2500hPa Manifold Absolute Pressure - 1003 hPa (Ambient Pressure) = 1497hPa of boost pressure.
  • To convert hPa to psi multiply hPa by .0145.
    • 1497.00hPa x .0145 (psi/hPa) = 21.71psi
The following users liked this post:
RoughRider911 (05-27-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing