Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 11:09 AM
Tyrell's Prodigy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 40 Posts

I guarantee PDK clutch slip issues are related to the mismatch in engine torque supplied vs expected by the TCM ROM tables.

The OEM TCM is recieving more torque than is expected after a tune such that clutch clamping pressure isnt quite sufficient.

This is very similar to the R35 platform I have been used to for years and hence my question to M-Engineering about being able to alter the PDK values as this is how we managed tuned cars for years.
Old 04-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 807 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyrell's Prodigy
I guarantee PDK clutch slip issues are related to the mismatch in engine torque supplied vs expected by the TCM ROM tables.

The OEM TCM is recieving more torque than is expected after a tune such that clutch clamping pressure isn't quite sufficient.

This is very similar to the R35 platform I have been used to for years and hence my question to M-Engineering about being able to alter the PDK values as this is how we managed tuned cars for years.
I don't think anyone is debating this. The PDK can no doubt handle the engine tune with proper calibration. I think the reservation coming up is surrounding the need to purchase a separate TCM tune in order to run the ECU tune without impacting the longevity of the PDK. Many have mentioned on this forum that this tune may just be too powerful, and there may be ripple effects from all that power. That may be true, or maybe the TCM will need updating no matter what tune you get, regardless of the power increase because as you said, the clamping pressure will need to match the torque output regardless. Some will want more clarity surrounding that issue and others will go ***** deep and not give a ****. To each their own. M-eng will figure it all out. We'll just need to see the cost.
The following users liked this post:
Kurac (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 12:13 PM
Tyrell's Prodigy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 40 Posts

I woujld suggest there is no need at all to purchase a TCM tune. Being able to adjust the PDK clutch pressures and touch points is a massively useful tool for any owner, tuned or otherwise
Old 04-01-2022, 12:58 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,564 Likes on 567 Posts

The TCM error is simply coming from a comparison in one of the torque comparison control functions. There are values that dictate the comparison and what it allows to see. It varies the case on when it is hit, thus some people get it others do not. With out doing ram reading and decompiling code it would be very difficult to see these issues.

We have done a lot of work to take apart the code to understand the conditions as well as the variables that get calculated, as well as the values that can be calibrated in code. We spend a lot of time going through code and logging to find where this stuff comes from in terms of control functions.

Hope that helps. Long story short, it doesn't hurt anything, but is annoying. We have to strive to find this stuff to make cars faster and more reliable.

Mitch Mckee

The following 3 users liked this post by M Engineering:
HashTag (04-01-2022), NigelPlays (04-02-2022), Tupper (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 01:48 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

For the past few weeks I have been working with Scott on data logging and revision to make this beast to get the best out of it!
I have had my fair share with a bunch of different tuners on different platforms, B5S4, F80 M3, Evo X, LinkEcu and such, I am seriously impressed with M-Engineering, every time i sent a log over i would get respond with revision within 24hours if not the same day this is something that means a lot to consumers.
Here is a little background, its a bone stock 2021 C2S, just BMC drop in airfilter (which i doubt it would do anything) + California 91octane (granted i splashed a couple gallons of E85 in there (for the past couple months i do not know what happened but the gas has been bad)

all right, enough bull**** here is what the car is doing
Boost wise: Its sitting solid, for the initial boost ramp up, flatten out then rise again is to preserve OEM clutch, in a way limiting initial peak tq
Timing: with 91oct there isnt anything anyone can do
Fueling: nice transition down to 11.8afr or so

Power delivery is extremely smooth, i cant be any more happier!
Once again, BIG THUMBS UP TO M-ENGINEERING TEAM! and yes I am yelling lol

Last edited by Ah10; 04-01-2022 at 04:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ah10:
M Engineering (04-01-2022), Pad Bender (04-01-2022), Tupper (04-01-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 06:09 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 818 Posts

^ Nice, I have to admit I don't fully understand what I'm looking at, other than boost.

I don't get what cylinder ignition retard, actual ignition angle fully mean and how you interpret that.

And while I get what AFR means, I'm not sure how to interpret what I'm actually seeing on the graph and whether it's good or bad.

I don't want to bog down this thread discussing how to break those things down, but anyone care to do a "in a nutshell" explanation of some of these things?
Old 04-02-2022, 04:57 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

Just an update on the valve open mod not working for me, Scott gave me another file to try out today and this time it sounds a little different, like the valves are fully open in sport/+ and it sounds pretty nice in manual mode when revving it towards higher rpm’s/redline. Slight drone for a few secs right at that shift point when in manual mode which I never heard before, but I actually am digging that sound. I rarely use manual mode so when driving in auto under sport+ there was no drone at all. I have catless downpipes and PSE.

Don’t know if there will be more updates to this mod but this looks to be a good start. Thanks!

Last edited by reddsektor; 04-02-2022 at 05:01 AM.
AlterZgo (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 10:59 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by reddsektor
Just an update on the valve open mod not working for me, Scott gave me another file to try out today and this time it sounds a little different, like the valves are fully open in sport/+ and it sounds pretty nice in manual mode when revving it towards higher rpm’s/redline. Slight drone for a few secs right at that shift point when in manual mode which I never heard before, but I actually am digging that sound. I rarely use manual mode so when driving in auto under sport+ there was no drone at all. I have catless downpipes and PSE.

Don’t know if there will be more updates to this mod but this looks to be a good start. Thanks!
I also got a new file to try yesterday. Have it installed and will try out today.
Old 04-02-2022, 03:29 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Here is my experience with Scott's latest file. This file does get the valves fully open, but there is a catch or 2! The valves fully open when the PSE switch is off. In normal driving mode, the valves fully open on startup and can be closed by pushing the PSE switch to on. When selecting Sport or Sport+, the valves are fully closed with the PSE switch lit indicating PSE should be on. Pushing the switch to off fully opens the valves.

My big surprise is that there is not much change in overall exhaust note except at idle where it is lower pitch. That seems to go away quickly as revs go up. I have a SOUL valved exhaust.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:53 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Got a new file from Scott at M today and this one works very well!! I can confirm that the valves are open at the appropriate times for the different drive modes. Here is a summary of sorts.
  1. Normal Mode, PSE off: Valves open at idle but close as rpm’s rise past 1000.
  2. Normal Mode, PSE on: Valves open at idle and stay open as rpm’s rise.
  3. Sport/+Mode, PSE auto selected: Valves open at idle and stay open.
  4. Sport/+Mode, PSE off: Valves open at idle, but close as rpm’s rise past 1000
This file results in a big change in exhaust note at idle and at various points in the rpm range. It also results in more prounounced burbles in Sport mode.
These results are for my SOUL valved exhaust. Can't speak for stock or other systems but I would think it would be similar.​​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by eagle1960:
22992 (04-07-2022), reddsektor (04-07-2022), Tupper (04-07-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 07:41 PM
992DAD
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Just joined in on the fun, have to say the whole process is beyond fast and easy, from sending the car info into them to driving the car around with a new tune was well under two hours! This was done yesterday during business hours and Scott was on it with the rapid replies. Stop thinking about it and go pull the trigger, it's a different car with their tune on it. I'll follow up after I spend the weekend on the back roads of the Bay Area with how it all goes.
Thanks M-Engineering!
Ah10 (04-08-2022)
Old 04-08-2022, 11:06 PM
Kurac
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 117 Posts

I as well finally pulled the trigger.

Some observations:
1. I have standard exhaust on a base Carrera, the first thing I noticed was pronounced turbo whistling. You can definitely tell the car is a turbo car from inside the cabin. This is different...different is good.
2. Part throttle around town applications produces a more urgent response. Before the car felt lazy, now it’s just more urgent.
3. I read that there would be some glitchiness as the systems relearned. After flashing, I cleared any codes, but my rear spoiler stayed deployed after the flash process was done and then after the first drive. It relearned protocol and detracted as it was designed after my second drive. So the systems were in fact relearning.
4. My first drive was ok, but the systems were relearning and I wasn’t completely impressed. I have Sports Chrono and engaging the Sports Response button was ok, but I wasn’t blown away.
5. My second drive last night was eye opening. It culminated with some highway pulls while engaging Sports Response. Activation this time was immediate and the car was a rocket. I chuckled and had a permanent grin on my face the rest of the drive. It felt that dramatic. I’d be shocked if this thing is not producing 500 at the crank.
6. Giddy up and go is on a different level now and driving my back country roads requires some throttle restraint. Power in reserve is a nice thing.
7. Customer service is top notch.

In summary, this was the best mod I’ve ever purchased for any of my cars. A bargain for what you get.
Well done, M-Engineering.....well done.
The following 4 users liked this post by Kurac:
mattchow (04-09-2022), Snapperkid (04-09-2022), Tompoodie (04-09-2022), Tupper (04-09-2022)
Old 04-09-2022, 02:32 PM
Snapperkid
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurac
I as well finally pulled the trigger.

Some observations:
1. I have standard exhaust on a base Carrera, the first thing I noticed was pronounced turbo whistling. You can definitely tell the car is a turbo car from inside the cabin. This is different...different is good.
2. Part throttle around town applications produces a more urgent response. Before the car felt lazy, now it’s just more urgent.
3. I read that there would be some glitchiness as the systems relearned. After flashing, I cleared any codes, but my rear spoiler stayed deployed after the flash process was done and then after the first drive. It relearned protocol and detracted as it was designed after my second drive. So the systems were in fact relearning.
4. My first drive was ok, but the systems were relearning and I wasn’t completely impressed. I have Sports Chrono and engaging the Sports Response button was ok, but I wasn’t blown away.
5. My second drive last night was eye opening. It culminated with some highway pulls while engaging Sports Response. Activation this time was immediate and the car was a rocket. I chuckled and had a permanent grin on my face the rest of the drive. It felt that dramatic. I’d be shocked if this thing is not producing 500 at the crank.
6. Giddy up and go is on a different level now and driving my back country roads requires some throttle restraint. Power in reserve is a nice thing.
7. Customer service is top notch.

In summary, this was the best mod I’ve ever purchased for any of my cars. A bargain for what you get.
Well done, M-Engineering.....well done.
I fully concur. It felt like it was evolving with each drive. As of today, I believe I could run any C2S with no problem.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:35 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 818 Posts

Hi guys, I wanted to mention that I sent a datalog to M Engineering driving with the sport response button pushed.

I don’t have the software to datalog.. But they now can easily tell if pushing that button increases boost. (Albeit in a tuned car)

Not a huge priority, but if you guys at M Engineering can let us know, that will finally put to rest a long debate we’ve been having at this forum.

My vote is that no: it does noting to increase boost. But perhaps it speeds up the boost ramp up, or maybe keeps peak boost longer?
The following 3 users liked this post by Tupper:
22992 (04-09-2022), AlterZgo (04-09-2022), Kurac (04-11-2022)
Old 04-13-2022, 10:44 AM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

"detuned" my car last night for an upcoming service appointment. uninstall was just as easy as install and duration was about the same.

Few observations:

-I had a lingering "PAS restricted message" for the first hour, but the next morning was gone and operating normally.
-oil temp runs the same (I thought it was running higher with the tune but it is probably more correlative with my lead foot with the tune)
-I immediately miss what the tune brought to the car. It really is night and day. Hard to go back to "normal". Can't wait to map it back (definition of addiction).
The following 2 users liked this post by chong0:
Pad Bender (04-15-2022), Tupper (04-13-2022)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing