Sponsored by:

992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 09:13 PM
Brusso
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Let me help out any of you on the fence about tuning and what tune to get..

Do not fear about warranty issues with your tune. You have heard next to no horror stories about dealers voiding warranties or people blowing up their cars. Its an overblown concern. How about 99% chance you will have no issues..that's what I put the percentages at. And if you don't like the tune or are concerned about anything, you can flash it back to stock in minutes.

Lots of promises and false claims from so many tuners. You see this is pure profit, like FREE money. They invest in a tune and put in the hours and once its dialed in they sell it like a $2 *****. Every tune is recoup of the initial time and pure profit.

Now on to who to use.. I have used, Cobb, APR and M engineering. For me there will never be another tuner I choose for any Porsche other than M engineering. APR lost my trust and my business long ago. Cobb still has the best tuning software with the AP handheld, but that's where it ends. They lost Mitch who was their main guy (who is now the M in M engineering) and now their tunes aren't anything special.

My opinion from a guy who tunes every car he gets..
I agree with all that..... I have highly modded everything from honda / Acura to BMW M cars and now my 992 with no issues..... my last car was an F90 M5 and I had zero issues.

I am curious why APR lost your trust.....
Old 12-08-2021, 10:11 PM
Snapperkid
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How about a Santa special?
Old 12-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Do not fear about warranty issues with your tune.
Lots of promises and false claims from so many tuners.
APR lost my trust and my business long ago.
^ You inspire confidence but raise eyebrows at the same time with this post. On one hand you talk about "don't worry, tunes are fine and nothing will go wrong" but then talk about losing trust in a very well established tuner in this very same post.

Care to explain why you lost trust in APR?
Old 12-09-2021, 10:49 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 630 Likes on 344 Posts

You guys are putting my feet to the fire about APR.

I was one of the many guys who left Cobb to get on the APR bandwagon. Mitch had left Cobb and there were shifting issues on high torque cars like mine that they couldn't figure out. APR not only claimed to figure it out, but they told us all that at home tuning was "close" and "soon". Years later they never delivered, and as of this writing over 2 years later they still don't have an at home flashing option. I was duped. Then, after installing the APR tune in an effort to correct the shifting issue found on Cobb tunes, I found that my Dragy times were way down and that was unacceptable. To have an APR tuned car that is slower from 0-60 than stock wasn't cool. They then stated that they could up the performance on the tune, but it would require the PDK to be tuned. I don't know if they ever came out with the PDK tune or not (its been 2 years) but, I have since sold the car so I don't follow what they are doing anymore.I was never told that I would need to tune my PDK and spend thousands more money to get improved performance so the answer to me was unacceptable.

I was sold with Tyler's "fastest 991.2" with APR tune and I figured they spent so much time getting his car dialed in that they must really know the platform inside and out. I felt duped. I also don't like some of the people they do business with and their Dinan arm is also not well run.

So, now you got my long winded reasoning behind not trusting APR or wanting to do business with them anymore. There is a lot of additional information and details I am omitting to keep this short, but I'll never again deal with them.

Last edited by PTS-BRG; 12-09-2021 at 10:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
991.1 Guy (12-10-2021), tez2013 (12-18-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 02:37 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Brusso
I'm more surprised by the $1,000 price difference though. I'm curious what differences there are between the tunes.....
for one.. M-Eng stage1/2 is around 540 whp, while APR stage1 is showing 540 bhp..

Last edited by reddsektor; 12-10-2021 at 02:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by reddsektor:
4 Rings (12-10-2021), AlterZgo (12-13-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 02:49 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

It’s worth noting that steve dinan is also working on a 992 tune.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:32 AM
mattchow
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 209 Posts

Any Christmas sales coming up? Going back and forth between this and APR, the custom path for future proofing my needs is pretty damn attractive. Would headers put me into the pro tune category or is that something that can still be handed in the stage 2/2+ category?
Old 12-13-2021, 12:19 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by mattchow
Any Christmas sales coming up? Going back and forth between this and APR, the custom path for future proofing my needs is pretty damn attractive. Would headers put me into the pro tune category or is that something that can still be handed in the stage 2/2+ category?
We just finished up our Black Friday sale. However, we offer 5% off for RL members, just PM me and I can get that setup for you. We are the only true solution with OBD flashing that allows for datalogging, switching between octane files whenever you want (we don't charge for this!), true back to stock flashing, and free updates. We also can do remote ProTuning.
Headers will be in the Stage 2 category.

-Charles@M
Old 12-13-2021, 01:34 PM
Snapperkid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by M Engineering
We just finished up our Black Friday sale. However, we offer 5% off for RL members, just PM me and I can get that setup for you. We are the only true solution with OBD flashing that allows for datalogging, switching between octane files whenever you want (we don't charge for this!), true back to stock flashing, and free updates. We also can do remote ProTuning.
Headers will be in the Stage 2 category.

-Charles@M
PM’d
Old 12-14-2021, 04:25 PM
APEX GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

Does the M-Engineering tune remove the rev limiter in the 992 or do anything with the PSE valves? Any other programming outside of the power increase?
Old 12-14-2021, 06:06 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 799 Posts

I can't remember if this has been asked/answered in this 25 page (!) thread.

How does the tune work/behave on a manual car, especially with regards to increasing the rev limiter when the clutch is down, so that we might try to break the rear end loose on a launch?
Old 12-15-2021, 06:32 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 992StormTrooper
Does the M-Engineering tune remove the rev limiter in the 992 or do anything with the PSE valves? Any other programming outside of the power increase?
Upon request we can set the valves to truly "ON" when you press the PSE button. This is a popular request on the 982 4.0L cars that we quite often do. We can also remove the soft rev limiter.

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I can't remember if this has been asked/answered in this 25 page (!) thread.

How does the tune work/behave on a manual car, especially with regards to increasing the rev limiter when the clutch is down, so that we might try to break the rear end loose on a launch?
Upon request, we can change the rev limiter behavior.

-Charles@M
Old 12-16-2021, 12:02 AM
Snapperkid
Intermediate

Got it. Happy man…
Old 12-27-2021, 03:35 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas weekend! It was nice and sunny in Southern Florida here at the new office, perfect weather for driving. Thank you all for the orders and support over the holidays!

One of our great customers shared his before and after dragy results on a Stage 1 flash for a 992 Carrera S and I wanted to repost these. Even at a bit of elevation and poor 91 gas, she did great!

-Charles@M
The following 4 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (12-27-2021), CZS (05-17-2024), tourenwagen (01-04-2022), Tupper (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 03:41 PM
westsiderkg
Banned

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Nice results! Assume left is before - factory map, and right displays performance #s after tune was installed, correct? 😀

Looking forward to installing the tune soon Charles, hopefully by this weekend.

One request, think you guys can attempt to crack the service + oil reset interval with your obd tool? Would be a great addition for the m-engineering obd diagnostic tool since no other vendors have this basic feature available for DIY folks like myself yet.

Last edited by westsiderkg; 12-27-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing