992 Carrera OBD Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 08:56 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,518 Likes on 545 Posts

For those that need a refresher on how easy the flash process is that goes over the details, we have it listed here. Video is also included.

We do have some notes about error codes that pop up during the flash process, totally normal

-Charles@M
Old 12-04-2021, 11:54 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I couldnt find it. But what does stage 1 tune get a base model with stock everything? Asking for my neighbor.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:18 AM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Sorry if this has been asked and answered. I couldnt find it. But what does stage 1 tune get a base model with stock everything? Asking for my neighbor.
Have you looked at the website??
Old 12-05-2021, 11:45 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Have you looked at the website??
I had not. Last time I did which was some months ago, it wasn't on their. I do see it now though. Thank you.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:56 PM
Snapperkid
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

93 octane is readily available where I’m from. Anyone carry an octane booster just in case you can’t find 93 on the road and you’re tuned to 93?
Old 12-06-2021, 02:49 PM
noblesse
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any plans to get a tune out for the GTS?
Old 12-06-2021, 11:06 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Snapperkid
93 octane is readily available where I’m from. Anyone carry an octane booster just in case you can’t find 93 on the road and you’re tuned to 93?
We can also supply you with a 91 tune to keep on hand if you need to reflash. Octane booster is very hit or miss and we try to avoid it. It can foul oxygen sensors over time.

Originally Posted by noblesse
Is there any plans to get a tune out for the GTS?
Just need to get one on the dyno!

-Charles@M
Old 12-07-2021, 09:33 AM
noblesse
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M Engineering
We can also supply you with a 91 tune to keep on hand if you need to reflash. Octane booster is very hit or miss and we try to avoid it. It can foul oxygen sensors over time.

Just need to get one on the dyno!

-Charles@M
I currently have a 992 S with M Engineering tune. Can I somehow transfer this to my GTS when it arrives?
Old 12-07-2021, 03:12 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

@M Engineering APR just launched their OBD2 tune for the 992 (E85 maps included). Competition is always a good thing I say! Any timeframe on when you plan to have an E85 maps available?

https://www.goapr.com/products/softw.../ECU-30T-S-992

Old 12-07-2021, 11:13 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by but did you die
@M Engineering APR just launched their OBD2 tune for the 992 (E85 maps included). Competition is always a good thing I say! Any timeframe on when you plan to have an E85 maps available?

https://www.goapr.com/products/softw.../ECU-30T-S-992
Ha, funny timing. We've been running e85 for over a year on our dev car. We're actually working on releasing e85 off-the-shelf maps very soon. This will be a free map upgrade that anyone with M-Tuner can request when released. It'll just be an additional file, so you can still switch back to your pump or race gas tune if and when needed with M-Tuner. There are no charges for changing your octanes with M-Tuner.

We also have datalogging and ProTuning available with M-Tuner, so if you're outside the standard OTS map upgrade path or offerings, you can always do a custom calibration. This can be done on the street or remotely on a dyno. Nice to be able to see what the car is doing with live and recorded data.

-Charles@M

Last edited by M Engineering; 12-07-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2021, 11:15 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by noblesse
I currently have a 992 S with M Engineering tune. Can I somehow transfer this to my GTS when it arrives?
A new vehicle will require a new M-Tuner dongle and license. PM us when you get the car and we'll get you setup and taken care of.

-Charles@M
Old 12-08-2021, 08:37 PM
Brusso
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up and installed the M- Engineering tune and I love it! I have had the 992 S for about a year and a half now. I put on the soul performance high flow cats back in June and now the tune is the icing on the cake..... This thing pulls hard everywhere now! I like APR and their products and wouldn't hold back from using their tunes. I'm more surprised by the $1,000 price difference though. I'm curious what differences there are between the tunes.....
Old 12-08-2021, 08:43 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Brusso
I just picked up and installed the M- Engineering tune and I love it! I have had the 992 S for about a year and a half now. I put on the soul performance high flow cats back in June and now the tune is the icing on the cake..... This thing pulls hard everywhere now! I like APR and their products and wouldn't hold back from using their tunes. I'm more surprised by the $1,000 price difference though. I'm curious what differences there are between the tunes.....
Hi there,
Would you happen to know if your operating engine/oil temps changed since the tune? I’m sure it’s a well designed performance curve but I, like many others, want to understand what hidden sacrifices are being made to extract this performance. I get that some of this requires years to pass for the marginal wear and tear to surface.
Any description of changes would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-08-2021, 08:57 PM
Brusso
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
Hi there,
Would you happen to know if your operating engine/oil temps changed since the tune? I’m sure it’s a well designed performance curve but I, like many others, want to understand what hidden sacrifices are being made to extract this performance. I get that some of this requires years to pass for the marginal wear and tear to surface.
Any description of changes would be greatly appreciated!
No changes from what I can see. I drove the car all over LA the other day ..... higher speeds, low speeds in traffic and everything in-between. The one thing I liked about the M Tune was the fact that they use all the factory safety sensors..... they don't turn off or reduce sensitivity to knock sensors ect. I think these motors will last a long long time as long as you use good fuel and don't cheat. If you run 91 oct just make sure to use the right map and you will be fine. Believe me the last thing I want to do is rebuild a motor.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheObsessed (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 09:01 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 630 Likes on 344 Posts

Let me help out any of you on the fence about tuning and what tune to get..

Do not fear about warranty issues with your tune. You have heard next to no horror stories about dealers voiding warranties or people blowing up their cars. Its an overblown concern. How about 99% chance you will have no issues..that's what I put the percentages at. And if you don't like the tune or are concerned about anything, you can flash it back to stock in minutes.

Lots of promises and false claims from so many tuners. You see this is pure profit, like FREE money. They invest in a tune and put in the hours and once its dialed in they sell it like a $2 *****. Every tune is recoup of the initial time and pure profit.

Now on to who to use.. I have used, Cobb, APR and M engineering. For me there will never be another tuner I choose for any Porsche other than M engineering. APR lost my trust and my business long ago. Cobb still has the best tuning software with the AP handheld, but that's where it ends. They lost Mitch who was their main guy (who is now the M in M engineering) and now their tunes aren't anything special.

My opinion from a guy who tunes every car he gets..
The following 3 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
Carlo_Carrera (12-09-2021), Love_Tacos_911 (08-09-2023), Tupper (12-08-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing