Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 11:45 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,566 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
Charles, Any chance you guys can throw together a quick step by step youtube video showing the obd tune process for customers, walking us thru it with added commentary? Looking forward to getting my map loaded soon, always appreciate visual instructions if at all possible too. Many thanks.
Yup, just did this the other day! Check out the videos on our install guide here: https://m-engineering.atlassian.net/...tall+Procedure

Originally Posted by Snapperkid
A few concerns. Will the servicing dealer be able to detect the tune after it was brought to stock? If so, wouldn’t that be the out for any warranty claim? Sure, they may not be digging for a standard service but in the case of a major claim, I would think that would be standard procedure. If they can somehow detect, wouldn’t that hurt the value of the car at least during warranty period and extended warranty period as well? I mean if you do sell or trade and don’t disclose a tune I would think it could and would fall back on you if anything happens to the drivetrain. To me that would diminish value. Maybe M-Engineering can chime in?
When you flash back the uninstall file to your car, it is back to true stock with a verified CALID and CVN. Flash counter is not raised.

Originally Posted by IvanzoomskI
@M Engineering If I buy the tune now (using the Black Friday promotion ofcourse :-), flash it and upgrade the exhaust in a later stage, what I need to do? I think I need to sent some files again to M-Engineer and they reconfigure the tune? Or can I sent the files only 1 time and need to wait until I got the exhaust upgrade (in about 2 months time)?
If you follow the standard upgrade path and you move to stage 2, just email us and we'll get you an updated file no charge. It's only if you're doing a custom setup and need to pay for a custom ProTune is there another charge (example would be upgraded turbos, meth, etc.).

-Charles@M
The following 2 users liked this post by M Engineering:
AlterZgo (11-30-2021), svkarl (12-02-2021)
Old 11-29-2021, 11:52 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KBS911
Props for your efforts and results with your tunes! Could you address any additional needs for those of us not concerned so much with 0-60 and 1/4 mile times but results on the track, My concern is how reliable a stage one tune would be for 4 to 5 30 minute track sessions a day. Would you anticipate overheating issues, are larger intercoolers required....etc?
Have had a few guys already go out onto track without issue, even on stock intercoolers. The car will be plenty happy out there. If you're in a hot environment and doing a lot of back to back sessions without cooldowns it's possible to get some high IAT's that may pull timing back a little bit.

We have done some custom ProTunes in the past for a few other platforms that have a little bit less power than our off-the-shelf style maps and a more stock-like boost curve and powerband that some owners prefer on the track for more predictability with the torque curve and throttle response out of the apex. That's a custom calibration but we can accommodate for that if that's what you're going for.

-Charles@M
Old 11-29-2021, 12:36 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Last chance to get in on the 10% OFF sale for M-Tuner. Use THANKS10 at checkout. Sale ends 11/30 at midnight!

Old 11-30-2021, 10:15 AM
IvanzoomskI
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Yup, just did this the other day! Check out the videos on our install guide here: https://m-engineering.atlassian.net/...tall+Procedure

When you flash back the uninstall file to your car, it is back to true stock with a verified CALID and CVN. Flash counter is not raised.

If you follow the standard upgrade path and you move to stage 2, just email us and we'll get you an updated file no charge. It's only if you're doing a custom setup and need to pay for a custom ProTune is there another charge (example would be upgraded turbos, meth, etc.).

-Charles@M
Thanks. So I bought the tune yesterday and waiting for it to be shipped now. Looking forward to it!

I also manager to purchase a full Akrapovič with Sport cats exhaust system that will be installed nex week already. Can I use your software to delete the codes that will appear? It will actually just save money if the installer of the exhaust don't have to do that

And if yes, can I do that without installing the tune? My idea was to first drive around with the new exhaust without the tune and do the tune a few weeks later.
The following users liked this post:
NigelPlays (12-01-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 12:52 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by IvanzoomskI
Thanks. So I bought the tune yesterday and waiting for it to be shipped now. Looking forward to it!

I also manager to purchase a full Akrapovič with Sport cats exhaust system that will be installed nex week already. Can I use your software to delete the codes that will appear? It will actually just save money if the installer of the exhaust don't have to do that

And if yes, can I do that without installing the tune? My idea was to first drive around with the new exhaust without the tune and do the tune a few weeks later.
PM'd.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:47 PM
noblesse
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious anyone go with the Protune? Experience?
Old 12-01-2021, 10:44 PM
TN_3
Pro

Received 271 Likes on 164 Posts

I read through most of the thread but didn’t come across this question…are there any limitations as far as torque handling of the differential, etc on the AWD cars? I may have a GTS 4 inbound, and am considering the tune, but don’t want to stress the AWD system with the additional torque or confuse the power transfer systems.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:31 AM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TN_3
I read through most of the thread but didn’t come across this question…are there any limitations as far as torque handling of the differential, etc on the AWD cars? I may have a GTS 4 inbound, and am considering the tune, but don’t want to stress the AWD system with the additional torque or confuse the power transfer systems.
No issues on the AWD systems on these cars we have seen. They have quite a stout construction and can hold some big power. No need to hesitate if you have an AWD car.

-Charles@M
porscheprestige (02-01-2022)
Old 12-02-2021, 11:39 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

I would love to hear some testimonials (either on here or on YouTube) about their experiences? Both pro’s and con’s.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:47 AM
aquanaut
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I would love to hear some testimonials (either on here or on YouTube) about their experiences? Both pro’s and con’s.
My S has been tuned for about 2 weeks now. The power is insane. No formal testing yet but holy cow does the car feel fast. Stock already felt capable, but now it’s ridiculous how much power the car has.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:57 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by aquanaut
My S has been tuned for about 2 weeks now. The power is insane. No formal testing yet but holy cow does the car feel fast. Stock already felt capable, but now it’s ridiculous how much power the car has.
I believe (?) you can do a turbo boost read out…any confirmation from that measurement?

Thx
Old 12-02-2021, 12:03 PM
M Engineering
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by aquanaut
Have fun in it!!!

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I believe (?) you can do a turbo boost read out…any confirmation from that measurement?

Thx
Yes, you can do full datalogging with M-Tuner and analyze exactly what the car is doing and reading. Here's a link to some more information on that: https://m-engineering.atlassian.net/...ing+Parameters

And if you scroll down here I have a video posted on how you actual do the datalogging, very easy! https://m-engineering.atlassian.net/...tall+Procedure

-Charles@M
Old 12-02-2021, 12:09 PM
chong0
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Just installed yesterday and took the car for about 60 miles initially in normal and then sport.

Agree with all the above testimonials. The car at baseline was quite capable. Installation was straightforward (the new web page of instructions was succinct and clear). Ecu flash took 6 minutes.

Feels pretty normal under 3k rpm. Linearity may be slightly less above 3k but may be my brain playing tricks on those posted dyno curves. It does feel like pedal sensitivity changed and is more sensitive.

engine output feels substantially stronger. There is a highway merge north of Boston (rt 3 into 128) that I take for my commute and is a high speed merge. I took this at what felt like my usual speed and course but with this tune it was bananas. The last turbo I've driven was a 996 and that was years ago. No idea what a 992 turbo would be like but comparing this to my old m5 in 3rd gear that just kept pulling up to silly speeds but this was even more silly.

You can argue why one would need this much power, but it is addictive. This was a noticeable change as opposed to my prior dinan tune on my m5 (and cheaper).
Love_Tacos_911 (08-09-2023)
Old 12-02-2021, 12:13 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by M Engineering
Have fun in it!!!

Yes, you can do full datalogging with M-Tuner and analyze exactly what the car is doing and reading. Here's a link to some more information on that: https://m-engineering.atlassian.net/...ing+Parameters

And if you scroll down here I have a video posted on how you actual do the datalogging, very easy! https://m-engineering.atlassian.net/...tall+Procedure

-Charles@M
Thank you very much. Consider me a future customer…in the not too distant future. Was a bit bummed to see it doesn’t run on iOS, and for now, don’t have a PC.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:20 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by chong0
Just installed yesterday and took the car for about 60 miles initially in normal and then sport.

Agree with all the above testimonials. The car at baseline was quite capable. Installation was straightforward (the new web page of instructions was succinct and clear). Ecu flash took 6 minutes.

Feels pretty normal under 3k rpm. Linearity may be slightly less above 3k but may be my brain playing tricks on those posted dyno curves. It does feel like pedal sensitivity changed and is more sensitive.

engine output feels substantially stronger. There is a highway merge north of Boston (rt 3 into 128) that I take for my commute and is a high speed merge. I took this at what felt like my usual speed and course but with this tune it was bananas. The last turbo I've driven was a 996 and that was years ago. No idea what a 992 turbo would be like but comparing this to my old m5 in 3rd gear that just kept pulling up to silly speeds but this was even more silly.

You can argue why one would need this much power, but it is addictive. This was a noticeable change as opposed to my prior dinan tune on my m5 (and cheaper).
Thx.Yes, power is very addictive. Use it wisely! 🥸

Any alerts/flags or warning light on the dash?

I believe you can read out the turbo boost in one of the screens on the dash. Any idea what the new boost level is? The stock GTS compared to the stock S bumped something like 2.1 lbs in boost…which equated to a modest HP increase in the GTS of about 30 HP. Just wondering how your car compares now after the flash?

Use to work at MIT LL and lived in Acton. I know the area you are talking about. back in the day when I lived there, I would reserve most of my “spirited” driving out near Harvard and Bolton….off of Rt 117, I believe.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 12-02-2021 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera OBD Flashing