Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Carrera vs Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 12:59 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

Nothing wrong with a base and I enjoy zipping it around corners. But the S is a very fine vehicle too with some nice upgrades to the base. Can’t go wrong either way, just depends what matters to you and if the S features make a difference to you personally.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
aggie57 (02-26-2023), AlterZgo (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:26 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
It is hard to tell. Miles might be highway cruising or anything up to track driving. The condition of the brake pads and rotors might be one way to tell.
Not to mention the condition of the tires and wheels. Also, the lifetime gas mileage could be indicative of a lot of high revs absent a lot of city driving.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:23 PM
Nidal
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

bruh, base 992 beats the M4 competition -FYI
look it up
BMW ceiling is Porsche floor lololol
The following users liked this post:
Blkrse (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 10:01 PM
Colokent
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Base vs. S at higher altitude

I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 992 Base. From everything I've read, it would totally meet my needs with power to spare -- I don't plan to track it, drag race people at stoplights, etc. My question is this...I live at 7,000 feet of altitude in Colorado. Will the base simply lose too much power (even being turbocharged) to be a fun car?

I've already searched this forum...and haven't found direct answers to this question. I like acceleration, and I like speed...like everyone else in the community. Would love to hear others' thoughts on this.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:39 AM
por356
Racer

Received 382 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Colokent
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 992 Base. From everything I've read, it would totally meet my needs with power to spare -- I don't plan to track it, drag race people at stoplights, etc. My question is this...I live at 7,000 feet of altitude in Colorado. Will the base simply lose too much power (even being turbocharged) to be a fun car?

I've already searched this forum...and haven't found direct answers to this question. I like acceleration, and I like speed...like everyone else in the community. Would love to hear others' thoughts on this.
Quote from quick Google search. “Turbos compress air and shove it in along with the atmospheric pressure to create a higher density of oxygen, which is detected by the vehicle and more fuel is added, giving a boost in power. The result is that turbocharged vehicles have hardly any noticeable change in power in altitude.”
tmslc (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 12:45 AM
Colokent
Intermediate

Thank you for the reply!
por356 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 01:29 AM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 509 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Nidal
look it up
Where is that? Certainly not on a straight line..
CanAutM3 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 03:00 AM
Pivot
Burning Brakes

Received 1,640 Likes on 601 Posts

I can’t comment on 992 3.0L flat six, but I used to drive BMW 435i with 3.0L I-6 motor at 1600m (5250 ft) altitude. The turbo made a massive difference in comparison to NA motors. I think you will enjoy it!
Old 03-06-2023, 04:13 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

If you Google HP loss by 1k ft of altitude it’s quoted as 3% for an NA car.

A turbo, from one quick read on Reddit, seems that it is roughly one half less, so 1.5, a base 992 would lose 40 HP of its rated 385 at 7k ft.

Bear in mind that Porsche seems to low ball HP levels and some 911 dyno pulls (take these results with some skepticism) indicate that wheel HP is quite close to the published HP at the crank.

Still enough to get you going quick.

Last edited by BSO; 03-06-2023 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:20 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Nidal
look it up
I wouldn’t be too sure about that. The M4 competition seems pretty on par with the Carrera-S performance wise. The 911 will however provide a more rewarding driving experience, at least from my experience.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 03-06-2023 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:24 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
If you Google HP loss by 1k ft of altitude it’s quoted as 3% for an NA car.

A turbo, from one quick read on Reddit, seems that it is roughly one half less, so 1.5, a base 992 would lose 40 HP of its rated 385 at 7k ft.

Bear in mind that Porsche seems to low ball HP levels and some 911 dyno pulls (take these results with some skepticism) indicate that wheel HP is quite close to the published HP at the crank.

Still enough to get you going quick.
That’s no longer the case for modern turbocharged engines that have a fair bit of thermodynamic margin and can compensate for less favorable density altitude. In less favorable atmospheric conditions they will suffer a bit more lag but will still be able to maintain power levels. That’s up to a certain point where they run out of margin, but the relation is not linear. That’s also why these engines can make so much more power from a simple tune.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:00 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
I had the opportunity to spend a good day in both an S and a base prior to purchase mine. Both belonged to friends and I really got to take it through its paces. I opted for the base and now 6 weeks and a bit over 2K miles into my base I am absolutely thrilled. I found the with the S the speed came so fast that I really never got to enjoy the ramp up. Is the base slow or a slouch. OMG no..just today I took it on the turnpike and at one point I slowed down a little to 60 and then accelerated. OMG I will not print my speed here but in seconds I was at a speed that was not good. I did not even realize it. Believe me the base will get you to speeds that you should not be at but I think you will enjoy the ride a little more. You get to stretch its legs and taste that redline. In the time between me test driving the C2 and C2S and then waiting for my car to arrive I spent a lot of time reading threads like this and even beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake. Now being out of the break-in period I can tell you without a doubt that I am thrilled with my decision. I came out of a Boxster and the amazing thing is that I find this car as nifty to drive as my Boxster and way more fun. People talk about this bieng a big car. When I am in it and buzzing around I really do not feel the size,

After reading on Rennlist you will get the idea that you really need to go to the S for the power as who does not enjoy more power. Maybe that is true but I really think if I had the S I would not be enjoying the car as much as I am and if I was I would have to ask myself if it was worth the extra dollars.

Things you will hear about the base vs S
The S has better resale. Take a look at the differentials between the S and the base in the second hand market and you will not see that fact born out. There is a buyer for every 992 out there
You need the S for track days - when you can drive the base at 10/10 then go to the S until then not sure you need it even for track
The S gives you bigger brakes - yup but my brakes are absolutely fine
You need the S for RAS and PASM - that is true but do you really need RAS and PASM
The S will give you more power - true but so will the Turbo and then the Turbo S so why stop at the S

This thread will soon be full of many telling you that you will regret not getting the S... I can tell you I don't - On the contrary I am glad I did not. Best way is to test drive on roads that you tend to drive - not an easy thing to achieve in the current market - either way you are getting an amazing car - good luck on your decision
this is well said. i moved from a 997 S to a 991 4S to a 992. i drove both the 992 and S and their were some power differences but really both have more power you can really use on the street. we don't do track days and really are daily driving. yes, i do miss the MT but the PDK box has gotten so good and is so spot on (yes, even on the base) it was a moot point for us. yes, the S might demand a better resale value but the 992 platform is so good i don't think i will ever sell mine, regardless of price. yes, i am on the list to get another 992 but who knows if that will happen.
por356 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 09:09 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

at our altitude you want the 992 or 991.2 for sure. the 992 really does make my 991 and 997 feel like they have about 100 fewer hp. i was also so skeptical of this turbo **** ... but on the 992 i am completely converted. you will be disappointed in the 991 if you drive and then jump into a 992. and the 991 was / is a fantastic automobile. the 992 is just better.

Last edited by tmslc; 03-06-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:52 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
at our altitude you want the 992 or 991.2 for sure. the 992 really does make my 991 and 997 feel like they have about 100 fewer hp. i was also so skeptical of this turbo **** ... but on the 992 i am completely converted. you will be disappointed in the 991 if you drive and then jump into a 992. and the 991 was / is a fantastic automobile. the 992 is just better.
Drove a 992 manual recently at PCNA in Atlanta and can honestly say I was not in the least bit disappointed driving my 991.2T home. No plans to purchase a 992 as I am very happy with my T. 992, like every 911 I have driven is amazing in it’s own way. Looking forward to seeing the 992T in person.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:59 AM
Colokent
Intermediate

Thanks for your response....yep...wandering the configurator and trying to define the "sweet spot" for options. Thanks for reinforcing the case for a base-- even at high altitude.

Last edited by Colokent; 03-06-2023 at 10:01 AM.
tmslc (03-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Base Carrera vs Carrera S