Sponsored by:

Base Carrera vs Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 11:34 PM
Talvandi
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Base Carrera vs Carrera S

Almost ready to pull the trigger on a brand new 992 and I'm stuck between the base Carrera and the Carrera S. My last Porsche was a 2016 Cayman S which felt fine in terms of speed/power. I'm wondering if the upgrade to the S version of the 911 would be significant enough to justify the higher price. My build on the base 992 comes to about 118k whereas my build on the S comes to about 139k. Having not driven the S, I wanted to see anyone could share their thoughts on these two models, anything other than difference in speed to consider? Appreciate any feedback.
The following users liked this post:
Nidal (02-19-2023)

Popular Reply

02-22-2021, 12:11 AM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

I had the opportunity to spend a good day in both an S and a base prior to purchase mine. Both belonged to friends and I really got to take it through its paces. I opted for the base and now 6 weeks and a bit over 2K miles into my base I am absolutely thrilled. I found the with the S the speed came so fast that I really never got to enjoy the ramp up. Is the base slow or a slouch. OMG no..just today I took it on the turnpike and at one point I slowed down a little to 60 and then accelerated. OMG I will not print my speed here but in seconds I was at a speed that was not good. I did not even realize it. Believe me the base will get you to speeds that you should not be at but I think you will enjoy the ride a little more. You get to stretch its legs and taste that redline. In the time between me test driving the C2 and C2S and then waiting for my car to arrive I spent a lot of time reading threads like this and even beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake. Now being out of the break-in period I can tell you without a doubt that I am thrilled with my decision. I came out of a Boxster and the amazing thing is that I find this car as nifty to drive as my Boxster and way more fun. People talk about this bieng a big car. When I am in it and buzzing around I really do not feel the size,

After reading on Rennlist you will get the idea that you really need to go to the S for the power as who does not enjoy more power. Maybe that is true but I really think if I had the S I would not be enjoying the car as much as I am and if I was I would have to ask myself if it was worth the extra dollars.

Things you will hear about the base vs S
The S has better resale. Take a look at the differentials between the S and the base in the second hand market and you will not see that fact born out. There is a buyer for every 992 out there
You need the S for track days - when you can drive the base at 10/10 then go to the S until then not sure you need it even for track
The S gives you bigger brakes - yup but my brakes are absolutely fine
You need the S for RAS and PASM - that is true but do you really need RAS and PASM
The S will give you more power - true but so will the Turbo and then the Turbo S so why stop at the S

This thread will soon be full of many telling you that you will regret not getting the S... I can tell you I don't - On the contrary I am glad I did not. Best way is to test drive on roads that you tend to drive - not an easy thing to achieve in the current market - either way you are getting an amazing car - good luck on your decision

Old 02-21-2021, 11:57 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Talvandi
Almost ready to pull the trigger on a brand new 992 and I'm stuck between the base Carrera and the Carrera S. My last Porsche was a 2016 Cayman S which felt fine in terms of speed/power. I'm wondering if the upgrade to the S version of the 911 would be significant enough to justify the higher price. My build on the base 992 comes to about 118k whereas my build on the S comes to about 139k. Having not driven the S, I wanted to see anyone could share their thoughts on these two models, anything other than difference in speed to consider? Appreciate any feedback.
Lots of other posts on this, search is your friend. Unless you want a manual not a lot of reason to buy a S unless you want the S-only options and are happy to pay the extra ask.
The following 3 users liked this post by aggie57:
Nidal (02-27-2023), P0560 (08-28-2023), Tedster (03-19-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 AM
craig66
Pro

Received 498 Likes on 221 Posts

I had the opportunity to spend a good day in both an S and a base prior to purchase mine. Both belonged to friends and I really got to take it through its paces. I opted for the base and now 6 weeks and a bit over 2K miles into my base I am absolutely thrilled. I found the with the S the speed came so fast that I really never got to enjoy the ramp up. Is the base slow or a slouch. OMG no..just today I took it on the turnpike and at one point I slowed down a little to 60 and then accelerated. OMG I will not print my speed here but in seconds I was at a speed that was not good. I did not even realize it. Believe me the base will get you to speeds that you should not be at but I think you will enjoy the ride a little more. You get to stretch its legs and taste that redline. In the time between me test driving the C2 and C2S and then waiting for my car to arrive I spent a lot of time reading threads like this and even beginning to wonder if I had made a mistake. Now being out of the break-in period I can tell you without a doubt that I am thrilled with my decision. I came out of a Boxster and the amazing thing is that I find this car as nifty to drive as my Boxster and way more fun. People talk about this bieng a big car. When I am in it and buzzing around I really do not feel the size,

After reading on Rennlist you will get the idea that you really need to go to the S for the power as who does not enjoy more power. Maybe that is true but I really think if I had the S I would not be enjoying the car as much as I am and if I was I would have to ask myself if it was worth the extra dollars.

The S has better resale. Take a look at the differentials between the S and the base in the second hand market and you will not see that fact born out. There is a buyer for every 992 out there
You need the S for track days - when you can drive the base at 10/10 then go to the S until then not sure you need it even for track
You need the S for RAS and PASM - that is true but do you really need RAS and PASM
The S will give you more power - true but so will the Turbo and then the Turbo S so why stop at the S

This thread will soon be full of many telling you that you will regret not getting the S... I can tell you I don't - On the contrary I am glad I did not. Best way is to test drive on roads that you tend to drive - not an easy thing to achieve in the current market - either way you are getting an amazing car - good luck on your decision

The following 30 users liked this post by craig66:
1BTD (10-24-2022), 540gone (02-22-2021), AlterZgo (02-22-2021), ancientmarinier (03-22-2023), BOS911T (02-19-2023), Chairman Pang (03-18-2021), dribar (02-22-2021), flyfisher (02-22-2021), Frank996 (02-21-2023), Gables (02-22-2021), Harris27 (03-18-2021), Icegrill (02-25-2023), jpbacs12 (03-06-2023), kimbersm (02-22-2021), KLOC (04-01-2023), La Carrera (02-25-2023), Lbenf (04-08-2023), mattchow (02-19-2023), michaelp (03-07-2023), Nidal (02-19-2023), Oberst (02-20-2023), Otto712 (03-07-2023), Que (05-28-2024), ruartur (02-22-2023), steve9 (02-22-2021), Talvandi (02-22-2021), timjab (03-19-2021), Tupper (02-22-2021), Victory911 (03-06-2023), Wilder (03-28-2023) and 25 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2021, 12:22 AM
Talvandi
Track Day

Originally Posted by craig66

Thanks for the great feedback, I'm planning on scheduling a test drive to help with my decision.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (05-24-2024)
Old 02-22-2021, 12:42 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 239 Posts

I drove both when purchasing my 991.2 Carrera T. I have the then base 370 rated HP engine. I can tell you that my car with the seven speed manual of plenty fast. On the open roads she pulls away from my buddies 2013 Carrera S with a PDK. Drive both cars but as other have said, there will always be more power. 0-60 in 4 seconds and 180 mph top speeds are more than enough for the street. For my money, I would prefer a better equipped car with options such as full leather interior, etc. vs. a stripped down S model.
The following 4 users liked this post by Carrera-T:
KLOC (04-01-2023), Nidal (02-24-2023), ruartur (02-22-2023), Talvandi (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 12:55 AM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Talvandi
I am not a 911 owner yet but like you looking to pull the trigger within the next few weeks. A lot of people here will say get the S for various reasons, possibly for them that is the right car. I am going for a Carrera 2, cost considerations being a big reason. Then when I thought about all my reasons that I want the car for the Carrera 2 fits my needs. I am 65 years old I have no interest in tracking the car so I do not care about the extra speed of the greater braking efficiency. I am going to be using the car as a daily driver, the 19"/20" wheel combination will give a slightly smoother ride. As the other person said in their reply the car will be more than fast enough and the handling capabilities I am sure will be far beyond my abilities. A lot of people say you need / have to get certain options on the car, I look at it as I only need something that is going to improve the car for my needs. The sports exhaust is a lot of money for something that gives no improved performance just a marginally improved sound. Sport chrono a nice gimmick but I am not going to be doing burn outs from stop lights. If money is no object then yeah get some of this stuff or the S, I think the reality is we all like bigger and better and it feeds our ego if we say we have the S but if money is no object buy the turbo S or GT3. I would buy the turbo S if I had the money but I don't. Which ever you buy I am sure you will enjoy it.
The following 6 users liked this post by phila12180:
KLOC (04-01-2023), P0560 (08-28-2023), PuthoffRicky (02-28-2024), Talvandi (02-22-2021), Victory911 (03-06-2023), wkearney99 (09-17-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:02 AM
bkknight369
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 48 Posts

I think it boils down to if you want a manual transmission vs. PDK. C2 is plenty fast / comfortable
The following 2 users liked this post by bkknight369:
justabout (02-19-2023), SamD (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,539 Likes on 5,063 Posts

If you have the money, get the S.

If you don't, get the Base.
The following 9 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Babyray (02-24-2021), detansinn (02-22-2021), GLS (05-25-2024), jhedly (12-27-2023), malibuboy (02-26-2023), mattchow (02-19-2023), Mike9865 (02-20-2023), srf409 (02-19-2023), TimD (05-24-2024) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:06 AM
Talvandi
Track Day

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
I drove both when purchasing my 991.2 Carrera T. I have the then base 370 rated HP engine. I can tell you that my car with the seven speed manual of plenty fast. On the open roads she pulls away from my buddies 2013 Carrera S with a PDK. Drive both cars but as other have said, there will always be more power. 0-60 in 4 seconds and 180 mph top speeds are more than enough for the street. For my money, I would prefer a better equipped car with options such as full leather interior, etc. vs. a stripped down S model.
I'm leaning towards the base carrera, agree with you on having a better equiped vehicle.
The following 3 users liked this post by Talvandi:
Carrera-T (02-22-2021), dribar (02-22-2021), Nidal (02-19-2023)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:13 AM
BM555
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I test drove both back to back a couple of times.
For me...the Base was far more engaging and fun to drive.

The Base engine is more responsive. Throttle response is practically immediate and the power delivery is linear.

The S engine takes a split second longer to respond...definitely more turbo lag. It’s noticeable. Then it slingshots you forward like a bat out of hell. It’s super fast but not as fun.
You don’t get to experience the acceleration as much with the S.

I like to dart/pass in and around traffic. The turbo lag in the S made this not as fun. The base provides a much closer experience to the “instant torque” of electric cars.

I much prefer the Base...which still pulls very hard and is extremely quick.
I have the budget to buy either one...I’m choosing the Base.

Last edited by BM555; 02-22-2021 at 01:22 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by BM555:
992wannabe (02-19-2023), dribar (02-22-2021), kimbersm (02-22-2021), KLOC (04-01-2023), Nidal (02-19-2023), Talvandi (02-22-2021), TennisGuy (03-19-2021), Victory911 (03-06-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:32 AM
BM555
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phila12180
I am not a 911 owner yet but like you looking to pull the trigger within the next few weeks. A lot of people here will say get the S for various reasons, possibly for them that is the right car. I am going for a Carrera 2, cost considerations being a big reason. Then when I thought about all my reasons that I want the car for the Carrera 2 fits my needs. I am 65 years old I have no interest in tracking the car so I do not care about the extra speed of the greater braking efficiency. I am going to be using the car as a daily driver, the 19"/20" wheel combination will give a slightly smoother ride. As the other person said in their reply the car will be more than fast enough and the handling capabilities I am sure will be far beyond my abilities. A lot of people say you need / have to get certain options on the car, I look at it as I only need something that is going to improve the car for my needs. The sports exhaust is a lot of money for something that gives no improved performance just a marginally improved sound. Sport chrono a nice gimmick but I am not going to be doing burn outs from stop lights. If money is no object then yeah get some of this stuff or the S, I think the reality is we all like bigger and better and it feeds our ego if we say we have the S but if money is no object buy the turbo S or GT3. I would buy the turbo S if I had the money but I don't. Which ever you buy I am sure you will enjoy it.
Sports Chrono also gets you Sports Plus mode and dynamic engine mounts.

The aggressive throttle blip downshifts in Sports Plus mode with the PDK are fantastic and totally necessary for when I don’t feel like shifting manually.
When I drove a car without Sports Chrono in regular Sport mode, the aggressive downshifts were missing. It’s not the same.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:35 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

So let's see . . . I didn't get my "S" because of the Manual Transmission, nor for FAL, or SPASM, the bigger wheels or for any expectations with respect to resale value or the ease of the sale. I did it because I wanted an "S". Yes the "S" has more power, it does have larger and better brakes, and lastly the differential is actually quite superior (PTV+ = Brake application + Electronic Locking Differential). Well all that and I paid an extra $13,400 (+ tax on that amount) versus an as much as possible, identically equipped/optioned Carrera. But mostly, I wanted the "S" because it does have more power, it does have larger and better brakes, and the differential is far and away superior. All of which are quite important to my vision of what the car is, should be and what it is capable of.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
Babyray (02-24-2021), jhedly (12-27-2023), Moosedoc (02-26-2023), Tedster (02-26-2023)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:51 AM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Put your ego aside and drive the Carrera over atleast a 30 minute period, preferably an hour. If you’re honest with yourself, you’ll find that it’s more than fast enough for your needs. Drive the Carrera S as well as be honest with yourself and ask the question, is the additional performance of the S justifiable vs the Carrera?
The following 3 users liked this post by ryandarr1979:
992wannabe (02-19-2023), dsddcd (07-13-2022), Frank996 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-22-2021, 01:58 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Put your ego aside and drive the Carrera over atleast a 30 minute period, preferably an hour. If you’re honest with yourself, you’ll find that it’s more than fast enough for your needs. Drive the Carrera S as well as be honest with yourself and ask the question, is the additional performance of the S justifiable vs the Carrera?
True, perhaps, but using that sort of logic, wouldn't one be obligated to purchase a Miata?
The following 5 users liked this post by Bluehighways:
jhedly (12-27-2023), LeftLane50mph (04-05-2023), megacondenser (02-22-2021), michael818 (02-22-2021), Traind (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 02:03 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

I'm sure the base drives very well. I just like having the higher trim level of whatever car I'm buying.

In the final analysis, I can never make lower trim levels work for me. Something is always missing or off - some sort of concession or compromise is involved and that kind of thing bugs the crap out of me. It is what it is.

The following 3 users liked this post by rk-d:
Jerry Yordy (03-18-2021), Moosedoc (02-26-2023), Talvandi (02-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Base Carrera vs Carrera S