Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Im curious if anyone who has a tune has done any logging to really see how happy the motor is? Sure the tunes feel faster. But are you detonating at higher RPM and not even know it?
Old 02-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

^ What do you mean by "detonating at higher RPM"?
Old 02-02-2021, 01:50 PM
coastal
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-te...-applications/
Old 02-02-2021, 01:55 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Im curious if anyone who has a tune has done any logging to really see how happy the motor is? Sure the tunes feel faster. But are you detonating at higher RPM and not even know it?
Audible knock would be very difficult in a modern EFI engine unless the fuel was of so poor quality that the tuning protection strategy was unable to retard the timing/reduce boost to limit. You would more than likely run into "limp mode".

Now there could be circumstances in which the tuning protection does indeed retard the timing/boost due to the knock sensor values being out of range. (not to the point of audible detonation) This would result in reduced power.

You can always ask the tuner to share data logs of the calibration and discuss their individual calibration strategy. Key taking point would be low speed pre ignition (LSPI).

Last edited by Cheshi143; 02-02-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:56 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ What do you mean by "detonating at higher RPM"?
Engine knocking. Where the engine is not happy and the knock sensor is constantly pulling timing to save the motor from going KA BOOM.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:19 PM
Michigan 992
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Every time the knock control system senses knock there is some amount of fatigue imparted into the pistons and other parts. At normal levels of knock control this is not an issue. However if the tune is aggressive it could massively increase the detection events for a given high octane fuel. The puzzle is if the engine is robust for some markets where the best fuel is 95 RON then it could be that the elevated counts with a tune at 98-100 RON may not be an issue.

There is no way around the elevated cylinder pressures adding to wear and fatigue on the engine. However, the wear with the tune driven on the street in the US may be less over 100K miles than running hard with a stock calibration on the unrestricted autobahn.

The risk all comes down to the exact tune and how you are going to maintain and drive the vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (02-04-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 04:38 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I'll have this done in about a month Bigworm.

M-engineering offers a dyno based 992 tuning solution that is matched to your specific engine, ie NOT a "canned" tune. This allows AFR, timing, etc. to be custom matched for your specific engine. According to M-engineering this usually allows them to eek out +10whp compared to their generic "canned" tune option.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:37 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by but did you die
I'll have this done in about a month Bigworm.

M-engineering offers a dyno based 992 tuning solution that is matched to your specific engine, ie NOT a "canned" tune. This allows AFR, timing, etc. to be custom matched for your specific engine. According to M-engineering this usually allows them to eek out +10whp compared to their generic "canned" tune option.

Ah! That's the ticket. I just keep seeing canned tunes being offered for the 911 and it just makes me wonder how every single engine just reacts perfectly to them. I would never slap a canned tune on my 911 unless I had logs. Especially on 91 gas! That's just crazy to me.

I'm happy to hear you are going the pro-tune route! That's the only route Id go.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:47 AM
but did you die
Racer

^exactly

They only charge $1k more for the custom dyno version so I figure what the hell. It should be safer for the engine, it might make a little more power, and I'll have some dynos to see what my money bought me. My cat deletes arrive next week from Kline so its getting close!
BIGWORM (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:58 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Your 911 comes to you with a "canned" tune for a base model, another for an "S", etc. I've run canned, off the shelf, generic, tunes or whatever else they are called in many different cars for over 20 years and never had a problem. You want a calibration developed by well known, proven, tuners. A tune that takes your engine to the edge may not be best unless you are looking for a bragging rights dyno sheet. A local shop that hammers your car on their dyno machine all day extracting that last 10 HP or manipulating parameters to show same that you would never feel may not be the best way to go.

Last edited by phaser; 02-03-2021 at 12:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by phaser:
DFWsCars (06-23-2021), ggreg911 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:59 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

^exactly

They only charge $1k more for the custom dyno version so I figure what the hell. It should be safer for the engine, it might make a little more power, and I'll have some dynos to see what my money bought me. My cat deletes arrive next week from Kline so its getting close!
How very exciting! I’m very curious to hear your engine with sport cats, drop ins and the tune.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Pumpsmynads
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
I'll admit it, I've been judging him. Who am i to judge him? I'm just a guy trying to make my way in this crazy world.
Me too. And what is your verdict?
Old 02-03-2021, 12:23 PM
but did you die
Racer

Originally Posted by phaser
Your 911 comes to you with a "canned" tune for a base model, another for an "S", etc. I've run canned, off the shelf, generic, tunes or whatever else they are called in many different cars for over 20 years and never had a problem. You want a calibration developed by well known, proven, tuners. A tune that takes your engine to the edge may not be best unless you are looking for a bragging rights dyno sheet. A local shop that hammers your car on their dyno machine all day extracting that last 10 HP or manipulating parameters to show same that you would never feel may not be the best way to go.
This was not a "canned tunes suck" post. I've run several cars with "canned" or "off the shelf" tunes so in no way am I bashing on them. My 458 runs a "canned" tune from OpenFlash and its ran like a champ for 2+ years. My Z06 ran a caned tune for 3+ yrs @850hp...no issues.

My point is simply If have the choice between a custom calibrated tune specific to my engine or a "canned" tune, all else being equal, I'll choose custom as it will be more dialed in.

And the reason M-engineering can generally eek out 10+ whp from a custom dyno tune is NOT because they push the engine to the ragged edge but rather the "canned" tunes they offer are conservative in all parameters to make sure they are safe for all 992 engines with varying tolerances. Another words they leave plenty on the table with the "canned" versions.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:41 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phaser
For someone with 20yrs tuning I find your statement very misleading. The OEM tune is most certainly NOT anything like your typical off the self stage 1 canned tune that Joe blow the tuner who use to work at Cobb made. Not even close.

People need to be aware that just slapping a off the shelf tune on any car without logging is crazy!
Reputable tuner or not. PERIOD.

And pro tuners typically do what the customer pays for. Most want reliable power. Some want bragging rights. That’s case by case. Either way I’d take a pro tune for reliability over an off the shelf tune every time and I suggest the others here do as well.

If the off the self tune runs great. Awesome! But I want to see logs. Regardless of how reputable the tune company or person is. And others who want a tune should too. Because without proof, your all drinking the cool aid and risking a very expensive motor based on what some guy with generic canned tune use said it’s fine. No thank you.

If you tune you get logs or you’re playing with fire.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 02-03-2021 at 01:07 PM.
SBAD (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 822 Posts

This was not a "canned tunes suck" post. I've run several cars with "canned" or "off the shelf" tunes so in no way am I bashing on them. My 458 runs a "canned" tune from OpenFlash and its ran like a champ for 2+ years. My Z06 ran a caned tune for 3+ yrs @850hp...no issues.

My point is simply If have the choice between a custom calibrated tune specific to my engine or a "canned" tune, all else being equal, I'll choose custom as it will be more dialed in.

And the reason M-engineering can generally eek out 10+ whp from a custom dyno tune is NOT because they push the engine to the ragged edge but rather the "canned" tunes they offer are conservative in all parameters to make sure they are safe for all 992 engines with varying tolerances. Another words they leave plenty on the table with the "canned" versions.
^ Just to be clear, you're shipping out your ECU to M Engineering, right?
ggreg911 (02-03-2021)

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?